Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 2,555 times

Advertisements

My family is looking into moving to a great school district with decent walkability, and a few listings in the Clayton and Ladue districts caught our eyes. I have no doubt on the high academic quality of either district – more specifically, their high schools. But I wonder about the particular reputation and academics of a few elementary schools in these districts - Meramec (in Clayton), Spoede and Reed (in Ladue). For example, I’ve heard Glenridge is one of the best elementary schools out there, which is in Clayton district, but our budget can only get us into Meramec. Is there any drastic difference between Meramec and Glenridge? Anyone could offer first or second hand experience with them?

Our kid is a few years away from elementary school still, so while we know both high schools are top notch, we want to make sure the more immediate school experience in elementary schools will be great as well. Thank you for any input you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 01:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
In Clayton: I don't know anyone personally at Glenridge or Meramec, but have 2 friends with kids at Captain and I never hear any complaints. My impression is that none of the Clayton elementary schools are less than great.
In Ladue : I have several friends with kids at Spoede, all happy. I think things vary more demographically--and I mean this in a level of wealth sense--between elementary schools in Ladue SD (though not saying any of them are bad, I don't know enough)--to me, when I look at their district map, I can pinpoint which elementary schools are more price accessible from a RE standpoint, whereas in Clayton, each of the elementary zones have a mix of condos and SFH so it seems more uniform to me.

I've never talked specifics because I have no interest in moving there myself, so I can't offer much more.

A few suggestions: If you're looking for decent walkability, I don't know that I'd bother looking in Ladue SD (unless you consider living in the Creve Couer/Olivette part and walking to strip malls on very busy Olive Blvd as walkable, you might).

Also, as someone not from STL who has kids here, I've found various parent-oriented local facebook groups much more helpful than this forum (which is not extremely active, does not have a large number of parents, etc) with questions when it comes to schools, kids activities, etc.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
In Clayton: I don't know anyone personally at Glenridge or Meramec, but have 2 friends with kids at Captain and I never hear any complaints. My impression is that none of the Clayton elementary schools are less than great.
In Ladue : I have several friends with kids at Spoede, all happy. I think things vary more demographically--and I mean this in a level of wealth sense--between elementary schools in Ladue SD (though not saying any of them are bad, I don't know enough)--to me, when I look at their district map, I can pinpoint which elementary schools are more price accessible from a RE standpoint, whereas in Clayton, each of the elementary zones have a mix of condos and SFH so it seems more uniform to me.

I've never talked specifics because I have no interest in moving there myself, so I can't offer much more.

A few suggestions: If you're looking for decent walkability, I don't know that I'd bother looking in Ladue SD (unless you consider living in the Creve Couer/Olivette part and walking to strip malls on very busy Olive Blvd as walkable, you might).

Also, as someone not from STL who has kids here, I've found various parent-oriented local facebook groups much more helpful than this forum (which is not extremely active, does not have a large number of parents, etc) with questions when it comes to schools, kids activities, etc.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. Much appreciate it.

I tend to agree with your impression of the perceptions of different schools in Ladue SD vs Clayton, and that brings out a reason why we might feel more comfortable in Clayton SD – you’ve got transplants & locals, home-owners & renters, working professionals & PhD students, drivers & bikers & pedestrians, etc. that I feel like it will be easier to at least feel like you are part of a community and not seem “out of place”.

Thank you for your tips on Facebook parent groups. Do you have any particular suggestions that you could share? It’s so hard to find reviews of elementary schools online – once you get to high school level, not only parents but students will also share reviews which makes them easier to find. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2018, 01:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
I'm female, so I'm in mom ones--if you're female as well, you can PM me your email address and I think I can add you that way (they are set to "secret" so you can't search for them, only be added by other members). I'll add you to a STL-wide one (the rest of the ones I know of are more city-focused).

Ladue and Clayton themselves as cities are very different even if they are geographically close--which it sounds like you've gathered. Ladue has its very country club estate feel, while Clayton feels more urban in its layout and amenities (though Ladue SD includes parts of Creve Couer and Olivette which are different). Like, if you zoom in on green spaces in Ladue, you'll find they are largely golf courses, while in Clayton, there are parks with playgrounds full of kids (I seriously love the parks in Clayton--DeMun, Oak Knoll, & Shaw all have fenced in playgrounds so the kiddos don't run away into the street and all that).

I significantly prefer Clayton if you can't tell, ha (and work there, and live about a mile away from the boundary, so really familiar). We used to live 2 blocks from the Ladue border and we'd joke that it felt like we lived in the servant's quarters.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:39 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
In both districts there isn't a single school I would not send my children to if need be (mine do go to private for various reasons, but the quality of the public schools isn't one of them). I only have friends whose kids went to Captain and Glenridge, but in general, people love the Clayton School District. I live in the Ladue district and I feel like parents are a little more mixed in how they feel. They don't seem to do as well with kids who have challenges (most common challenge among my friends is a 2E kid...gifted but with a learning disability or ADHD or something that would necessitate an IEP...Ladue has not been cooperative and they've taken their kids out in favor of private schools that would cooperate...or private schools specifically intended for kids with LDs). Friends with typical kids, gifted or not, seem happy with Ladue...all 4 elementary schools.

If walkability is important to you, Clayton is going to be a much better fit...although there is a relatively affordable swath of the Ladue School District behind the Ladue Rd. Schnucks plaza, that actually seems like it should be Clayton but is Ladue...that would offer similar walkability. The rest of Ladue, not so much. I like living in Ladue but I think I'd like Clayton more...I'd prefer walkability, my husband likes privacy...so here we are

Old 07-10-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
In both districts there isn't a single school I would not send my children to if need be (mine do go to private for various reasons, but the quality of the public schools isn't one of them). I only have friends whose kids went to Captain and Glenridge, but in general, people love the Clayton School District. I live in the Ladue district and I feel like parents are a little more mixed in how they feel. They don't seem to do as well with kids who have challenges (most common challenge among my friends is a 2E kid...gifted but with a learning disability or ADHD or something that would necessitate an IEP...Ladue has not been cooperative and they've taken their kids out in favor of private schools that would cooperate...or private schools specifically intended for kids with LDs). Friends with typical kids, gifted or not, seem happy with Ladue...all 4 elementary schools.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Very good to know about the perceptions and real-life experiences of how different schools accommodate different needs of kids in various ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
If walkability is important to you, Clayton is going to be a much better fit...although there is a relatively affordable swath of the Ladue School District behind the Ladue Rd. Schnucks plaza, that actually seems like it should be Clayton but is Ladue...that would offer similar walkability. The rest of Ladue, not so much. I like living in Ladue but I think I'd like Clayton more...I'd prefer walkability, my husband likes privacy...so here we are
You mean I can't have my cake and eat it too? Yes, I realized pretty quickly that bigger lots usually mean less walkability to stuff. Choosing where to live really is ultimately choosing a life style. Choose what you like then try to like what you've chosen.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 612 times
I wouldn't have any concerns about Meramec. It's hard to say which Clayton elementary school is the best. Maybe one year Glenridge will have higher test scores (or Great Schools rating or whatever) than Meramec (or Captain) and then the next year it reverses. And using test scores to determine the best is maybe problematic anyway.

One thing to be aware of is that Meramec's principal retired after last school year and a new principal is now in charge. He came from Wild Horse Elementary in Rockwood and I've heard second-hand that the Wild Horse parents were not happy to lose him.

I've heard that Reed in Ladue has become very crowded and has quite large class sizes, but I could be wrong.

You'll probably have more diversity in the Clayton schools v. Ladue.

Last edited by FatherRomero; 07-10-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 07-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherRomero View Post
I wouldn't have any concerns about Meramec. It's hard to say which Clayton elementary school is the best. Maybe one year Glenridge will have higher test scores (or Great Schools rating or whatever) than Meramec (or Captain) and then the next year it reverses. And using test scores to determine the best is maybe problematic anyway.

One thing to be aware of is that Meramec's principal retired after last school year and a new principal is now in charge. He came from Wild Horse Elementary in Rockwood and I've heard second-hand that the Wild Horse parents were not happy to lose him.

I've heard that Reed in Ladue has become very crowded and has quite large class sizes, but I could be wrong.

You'll probably have more diversity in the Clayton schools v. Ladue.
Wow thank you for the info on particular schools! Interesting to hear about the personnel change - I've heard great things about Wild Horse, so sounds like it's their loss and Clayton's gain.

"And using test scores to determine the best is maybe problematic anyway. " - absolutely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis