Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Isn’t it heroin now? I though Meth was, like, so 2003.
Heroin or other opiods, like Oxycontin, seems to be the thing now and it's all over the best suburbs of St. Louis and elsewhere. Has been for awhile. Maybe meth is still a thing, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:04 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
He cited the "economic collapse" of California which is especially ridiculous because anyone who lives here knows that Missouri absolutely refuses to do the things it needs to do to be competitive in the future.

Also, California is a large and diverse state. The whole state is not the Bay Area. That is like saying home prices in Huntleigh or Ladue represent the entire St. Louis area. There are plenty of affordable and conservative areas in California.

I think your post is a perfect example of why he may fit in very well in outstate Missouri. Data based decision making takes a backseat to notions, over generalizations and politics in those places. Ironically, the consequence of that line of thinking is what is causing hard times in outstate Missouri and why it may very well face a financial collapse in the future.

Missouri should be quickly expanding broadband internet and tech training into the rural areas. There are barely any jobs there now and every year manufacturing automation and consolidation of farms is eliminating the few they do have. They should also be supporting the MTC instead of trying to kill it. Meanwhile, instead, the pressing issue last week in our legislature was making sure meat substitutes couldn't use the word meat. So stupid.
There's barely any jobs in Missouri yet its unemployment rate is lower than California.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

I guess the retort will be we all work at Walmart and you all work in Silicon Valley.

Well, anyway, I manage to get by, can buy a new still and outhouse every few years and have a short drive to work. And I know some good fishin' holes too.

Last edited by MUTGR; 08-30-2018 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 10:12 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
As I near retirement I sometimes think about moving back to Ohio. The house I grew up in just sold for $ 152,000 per Zillow, so I'd have quite a savings. Then I take a drive down PCH to my boat and I forget the whole idea.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:53 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
He cited the "economic collapse" of California which is especially ridiculous because anyone who lives here knows that Missouri absolutely refuses to do the things it needs to do to be competitive in the future.

Also, California is a large and diverse state. The whole state is not the Bay Area. That is like saying home prices in Huntleigh or Ladue represent the entire St. Louis area. There are plenty of affordable and conservative areas in California.

I think your post is a perfect example of why he may fit in very well in outstate Missouri. Data based decision making takes a backseat to notions, over generalizations and politics in those places. Ironically, the consequence of that line of thinking is what is causing hard times in outstate Missouri and why it may very well face a financial collapse in the future.

Missouri should be quickly expanding broadband internet and tech training into the rural areas. There are barely any jobs there now and every year manufacturing automation and consolidation of farms is eliminating the few they do have. They should also be supporting the MTC instead of trying to kill it. Meanwhile, instead, the pressing issue last week in our legislature was making sure meat substitutes couldn't use the word meat. So stupid.
Name a part of CA that is less expensive than STL. Bakersfield?

Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
As I near retirement I sometimes think about moving back to Ohio. The house I grew up in just sold for $ 152,000 per Zillow, so I'd have quite a savings. Then I take a drive down PCH to my boat and I forget the whole idea.
To each their own. I lived in West LA for several years. Ultra expensive housing and horrific traffic wasn't my cup of tea. There are a lot of great things to to in LA, but traffic is so bad that we found that we rarely went outside of our own little corner of the area.

STL is a pretty decent place to live overall. No, it isn't exactly an exploding economy, and it continues to shed Fortune 500 headquarters probably faster than any other city in America. But, as long as YOU are gainfully employed, it doesn't really matter. The COL is reasonable (though not exactly cheap), traffic is almost non-existent, and there are excellent cultural amenities, I would say superior to LA in that respect. LA definitely has better weather though (if you like the lack of seasons), and of course the ocean.

My biggest criticism of STL is probably the somewhat provincial and cliquish mentality of many people who live here, largely because they have never lived anywhere else (and in many cases barely traveled anywhere else other than Destin or Orlando) their entire lives. But, you get that to some extent everywhere you go. Also, the lack of accessibility to certain outdoor activities (ie. an ocean, skiing, etc.). But I'm always amazed at the willingness of people to drive 12 hours to go to Florida, coming from the East coast where we never drove more than 3 hours to go anywhere!

Last edited by Angus215; 08-31-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 08:16 AM

451 posts, read 364,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
To each their own. I lived in West LA for several years. Ultra expensive housing and horrific traffic wasn't my cup of tea. There are a lot of great things to to in LA, but traffic is so bad that we found that we rarely went outside of our own little corner of the area.

STL is a pretty decent place to live overall. No, it isn't exactly an exploding economy, and it continues to shed Fortune 500 headquarters probably faster than any other city in America. But, as long as YOU are gainfully employed, it doesn't really matter. The COL is reasonable (though not exactly cheap), traffic is almost non-existent, and there are excellent cultural amenities, I would say superior to LA in that respect. LA definitely has better weather though (if you like the lack of seasons), and of course the ocean.

My biggest criticism of STL is probably the somewhat provincial and cliquish mentality of many people, largely because they have never lived anywhere else their entire lives. But, you get that to some extent everywhere you go. Also, the lack of accessibility to certain outdoor activities (ie. an ocean, skiing, etc.)
Shedding fortune 500s?

The Bayer acquisition is going to be awesome for the region. Bayer has already relocated lots of Jobs from the research triangle in NC to St. Louis.

The Cigna acquisition of ESRX appears to be benevolent.

Centene Continues to explode.

The ESRX and Monsanto acquisitions means there are going be many wealthy St. Louisans looking for fresh ventures to invest in.

Bunge is also trying to acquired. That could be good or bad for StL. If ADM takes bunge the St. Louis workforce probably gets moved to Chicago. If Glencore takes Bunge the St. Louis office likely becomes Glencore's North American Headquarters.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Shedding fortune 500s?

The Bayer acquisition is going to be awesome for the region. Bayer has already relocated lots of Jobs from the research triangle in NC to St. Louis.

The Cigna acquisition of ESRX appears to be benevolent.

Centene Continues to explode.

The ESRX and Monsanto acquisitions means there are going be many wealthy St. Louisans looking for fresh ventures to invest in.
Monsanto, Express Scripts, Scottrade, Anheiser Busch, McDonnell Douglass, Ralcorp, Sigma Aldrich, TWA, Charter Communications. These are all large corporate headquarters that STL lost (or will soon lose). What happens when people get laid off (at least when you're talking about highly compensated people) is they move to where the next opportunity is, which in many cases won't be St Louis. When's the last time a major company moved or started up HERE? Nothing to replace those jobs. Centene is maybe the one I can think of . . . and they may very well be acquired as well.

Last edited by Angus215; 08-31-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Monsanto, Express Scripts, Scottrade, Anheiser Busch, McDonnell Douglass, Ralcorp, Sigma Aldrich, TWA, Charter Communications. These are all large corporate headquarters that STL lost (or will soon lose). What happens when people get laid off is they move to where the next opportunity is, which in many cases won't be St Louis. When's the last time a major company moved or started up HERE? Nothing to replace those jobs. Centene is maybe the one I can think of.
You can only think of Centene? WWT is a fast growing StL technology company that, though it remains private, could be approaching IPO stage. Stifel Nicolaus is already publicly traded and huge. It came out of 2008 VERY strong and immediately went on a massive spending spree acquiring many smaller investment houses throughuot the midwest and south. Enterprise Holdings has also been on a huge spending spree. The Taylor's have built it into a Private behemoth. Then you have other fast movers like Graybar, Maschoff's.

Ascension is one of the largest not for Profit companies the world.

The NGA is about go through a massive expansion in the region.

Dude every city has lost large companies over the years. M&As happen. Get over it.

The Monsanto, ESRX, MacDouglas, and Ralcorp acquisitions have led to or will lead to increased operations.

HQs don't mean anything other than a few dozen executive offices. Operations are what you want those are what bring the talent and actually provide for growth.

We also got a large Microsoft office before Chicago did.

But anyway yes, yes, please keep peddling the "woa is us mentality" the singular thing that holds back our region.

Last edited by FalstaffBlues; 08-31-2018 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
You can only think of Centene? WWT is a fast growing StL technology company that, though it remains private, could be approaching IPO stage. Stifel Nicolaus is already publicly traded and huge. It came out of 2008 VERY strong and immediately went on a massive spending spree acquiring many smaller investment houses throughuot the midwest and south. Enterprise Holdings has also been on a huge spending spree. The Taylor's have built it into a Private behemoth. Then you have other fast movers like Graybar, Maschoff's.

Dude every city has lost large companies over the years. M&As happen. Get over it.

The Monsanto, ESRX, MacDouglas, and Ralcorp acquisitions have led to or will lead to increased operations.

HQs don't mean anything other than a few dozen executive offices. Operations are what you want those are what bring the talent and actually provide for growth.
Stifel and Enterprise have been around forever. How are they "new"? Maschoff's? the pig company? Boeing laid off a ton of people when they acquired MD. Losing AB has had a huge impact to the region. Even if the operations stay, many of the higher paid corporate jobs go . . . and it's more than "a few dozen" in most cases.

Yes, M&A is a reality in the corporate world, however it produces winners and losers in terms of metro areas. St Louis, like many mid-western cities, has been a loser. That's just a reality. So, to the original point, STL doesn't have a booming economy for this and other reasons. That's maybe a negative in terms of living here, but if these things don't effect YOUR job, then it doesn't really matter (and helps to keep COL low).

Makes no difference to me - i'm not from here, and i don't expect to live here more than a few years. I've lived a lot of places. They all have their own unique pros and cons. The economy of St Louis definitely not a "pro".

Old 08-31-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Stifel and Enterprise have been around forever. How are they "new"? Maschoff's? the pig company? Boeing laid off a ton of people when they acquired MD. Losing AB has had a huge impact to the region. Even if the operations stay, many of the higher paid corporate jobs go . . . and it's more than "a few dozen" in most cases.

Yes, M&A is a reality in the corporate world, however it produces winners and losers in terms of metro areas. St Louis, like many mid-western cities, has been a loser. That's just a reality. So, to the original point, STL doesn't have a booming economy for this and other reasons. That's maybe a negative in terms of living here, but if these things don't effect YOUR job, then it doesn't really matter (and helps to keep COL low).

Makes no difference to me - i'm not from here, and i don't expect to live here more than a few years. I've lived a lot of places. They all have their own unique pros and cons. The economy of St Louis definitely not a "pro".
Just because a company is old doesn't mean it hasn't expanded.

Edward Jones is old, but its recently become a financial behemoth.

Oh no!!!Not the higher paid corporate jobs!? What will StLCC and the Racquet Club do?

Please continue feeling sorry for yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis