U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
 
24 posts, read 119,947 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'll be moving to St. Louis with my wife and 1 1/2 year old son. I'll be working at Wash U. How is the area north of Forest Park. Online I'm noticing that area has some beautiful homes at reasonable prices (relative to Clayton and University City). I imagine that part of the reason is that the schools aren't good. Is that the only reason? Or is it unsafe? The safety of my family is of the utmost importance, but schools aren't a huge deal (I can always send them to private schools and that decision is still 4 yrs. away). Any help would be appreciated. What areas of St. Louis proper are safe for a young family. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,812 posts, read 17,347,493 times
Reputation: 3366
From my understanding, that area is just fine. But others could give you more insight.

And congrats on getting a job at Wash U.

And I love most the homes of St. Louis, especially the older ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,063 posts, read 29,051,152 times
Reputation: 3775
For a newcomer I would suggest staying south of Delmar when looking at the area north of Forest Park . That area is still fairly shady and is adjacent to areas that are shadier still.

If you gave us an idea of your budget and needs we could probably help you find an area that would work for you.

And so you know in advance, nearly every St. Louis city school is far below par, so you'll almost certainly be looking at private schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 11:54 AM
 
Location: ABQ
634 posts, read 2,159,953 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl21 View Post
Hi everyone. I'll be moving to St. Louis with my wife and 1 1/2 year old son. I'll be working at Wash U. How is the area north of Forest Park. Online I'm noticing that area has some beautiful homes at reasonable prices (relative to Clayton and University City). I imagine that part of the reason is that the schools aren't good. Is that the only reason? Or is it unsafe? The safety of my family is of the utmost importance, but schools aren't a huge deal (I can always send them to private schools and that decision is still 4 yrs. away). Any help would be appreciated. What areas of St. Louis proper are safe for a young family. Thanks.
Most of the area north of Forest Park is pretty safe, and is probably safest from west to east, especially the further north that you travel. Much of it is an urban environment, but I would consider most of it a good neighborhood.

My personal preference (I live near Forest Park Pkwy & Skinker) would be to stay west of DeBalivere and south of Delmar, though Pershing Ave. east of DeBalivere seemed okay when I was house hunting last summer. If you care to wander north of Delmar, I'd suggest staying west of Skinker. There are some really nice homes in Univ. City, both north & south of Delmar (but south of Heman Park).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 12:43 PM
 
1,816 posts, read 5,358,540 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by breer23 View Post
Most of the area north of Forest Park is pretty safe, and is probably safest from west to east, especially the further north that you travel. Much of it is an urban environment, but I would consider most of it a good neighborhood.

My personal preference (I live near Forest Park Pkwy & Skinker) would be to stay west of DeBalivere and south of Delmar, though Pershing Ave. east of DeBalivere seemed okay when I was house hunting last summer. If you care to wander north of Delmar, I'd suggest staying west of Skinker. There are some really nice homes in Univ. City, both north & south of Delmar (but south of Heman Park).
This is pretty solid advice for a newcomer. Although I believe you could add a few more areas, this is good for someone unfamiliar to the area.

I know people who live in the NW, C and E parts of U.City and are very happy. DeBalivere will get mixed opinions depending on whom you ask.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
 
24 posts, read 119,947 times
Reputation: 28
I appreciate the advice. I could probably spend as much as 500K, which I'm sure would allow me to buy something in U. City. It just seemed like I could get something for less in St. Louis and save the difference for private schools. What areas would you suggest that would be no farther than a 20 min commute from Wash U. We are a bit back and forth on whether we want a historic home or something newer. Thanks for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
 
Location: ABQ
634 posts, read 2,159,953 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl21 View Post
I appreciate the advice. I could probably spend as much as 500K, which I'm sure would allow me to buy something in U. City. It just seemed like I could get something for less in St. Louis and save the difference for private schools. What areas would you suggest that would be no farther than a 20 min commute from Wash U. We are a bit back and forth on whether we want a historic home or something newer. Thanks for your help.
A 20-minute commute to Wash. U. can put you in several historic neighborhoods, depending on what kinds of community amenities you're looking for (parks, nightlife, etc.).

While I can't be specific about them (since I've never lived there) some areas that might interest you are: Soulard, Lafayette Square, Dogtown, The Hill (Little Italy), Tower Grove, Skinker-DeBalivere.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,812 posts, read 17,347,493 times
Reputation: 3366
Just from browsing real estate sites, Dogtown may be the most affordable of those.

Any of them should be fine. Lafayette Square may be the most expensive. $500k will buy you quite a bit in any of those areas. You could get a nice house in most of those areas for half of that, though. How many bedrooms do you need?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
 
Location: St Louis
1,117 posts, read 2,688,984 times
Reputation: 367
I used to live in the Deballiviere neighborhood bordered by Delmar, Deballiviere, Forest Park, and Unio. I loved it. It is safe however there may be a few occasional car break ins. Close the Park, CWE, the Loop, and the metro link will take you anywhere else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 AM
 
24 posts, read 119,947 times
Reputation: 28
We need at least 3 bedrooms 2 baths. Which historic areas would say are the most family friendly? I'd like my kid to have other kids his age (2 years old) around to play over the next 5-6 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top