Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:48 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever used the company called Apartment Search? If so, what kind of experience did you have? Thank you. hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 02:59 PM

435 posts, read 176,048 times
No, but if they charge, I wouldn't use them. It isn't hard to find or rent an apartment in St. Louis. I'm not sure where you are from, but this market isn't like a New York, vacancies aren't really a problem. If you like a particular area, you will have plenty of options.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
No, but if they charge, I wouldn't use them. It isn't hard to find or rent an apartment in St. Louis. I'm not sure where you are from, but this market isn't like a New York, vacancies aren't really a problem. If you like a particular area, you will have plenty of options.

They do not charge the searcher. When you accept a particular apartment that they found for you, the owners of that property pay. They are the ones who hire Apartment Search to find them tenants.

This is some of what I read at their web site - a sort of "About Us" note. The would be tenant calls them, gives information about exactly what he is looking for and they go to work trying to make a match.

I am having trouble finding what I want because, I think, I am not as familiar with St Louis as those who grew up here are. So what I want to find out is how reliable they are. A lot of people hang out shingles but don't really do the job. This is the first time I had heard of Apartment Search. It does explain how we suddenly get tenants from California or Michigan or wherever. Business people being transferred could find a home fast - at least a temporary safe haven until they feel at home enough to look around more.

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:34 PM

What exactly are you wanting that you can't find?

I looked at the site, it just looks like an average apartment search site. I don't see any risk in using it. No one I have ever known has done it any other way than finding an area you want to move to, searching for apartments in that area and contacting the person or complex renting the apartment. If apartment brokers are a thing in St. Louis, I have never used one nor known anyone who has. If you are moving for a job, and need short term, perhaps your employer could offer some suggestions.

One of the only good things about being a city that is shrinking in population is that housing is cheaper and easier to find. Finding an apartment in St. Louis is more fun than stress in my experience.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
What exactly are you wanting that you can't find?

I looked at the site, it just looks like an average apartment search site. I don't see any risk in using it. No one I have ever known has done it any other way than finding an area you want to move to, searching for apartments in that area and contacting the person or complex renting the apartment. If apartment brokers are a thing in St. Louis, I have never used one nor known anyone who has. If you are moving for a job, and need short term, perhaps your employer could offer some suggestions.

One of the only good things about being a city that is shrinking in population is that housing is cheaper and easier to find. Finding an apartment in St. Louis is more fun than stress in my experience.

I don't find apartments cheap in St Louis. Maybe in St Louis City but not out in the suburbs. Of course part of it is all the fancy amenities they are now providing. So, this time I am stressing that I can do without those.

Thank you.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:05 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
When I first moved to St. Louis from Australia over a decade ago, I narrowed down which complexes I was interested in based on data and reviews on a website called Apartment Ratings. I haven't looked at it in years so I don't know if it is still accurate and up to date, but it really did help me narrow my search down.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
When I first moved to St. Louis from Australia over a decade ago, I narrowed down which complexes I was interested in based on data and reviews on a website called Apartment Ratings. I haven't looked at it in years so I don't know if it is still accurate and up to date, but it really did help me narrow my search down.

I'll see if I can find it. It does sound familiar. For ratings, it depends on who does the ratings and who is able to change them. When I moved to St Louis, our complex had very reliable ratings. Don't think our owners/managers ever changed anything. There was good and bad but mostly good. New owners came along. Those were erased and the only ratings ever there werealways glowingly good. One guess who wrote those. :-)

Anyway, good idea. Thank you.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:08 PM

If you don't tell us what it is you are looking for but can't find, and we have to guess as to what you think is expensive or not, I don't see how anyone can really help you.

I have lived in St. Louis most of my life and while I cannot tell you about apartment search, I do know St. Louis inside and out. I tried to help. Good luck

Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
If you don't tell us what it is you are looking for but can't find, and we have to guess as to what you think is expensive or not, I don't see how anyone can really help you.

I have lived in St. Louis most of my life and while I cannot tell you about apartment search, I do know St. Louis inside and out. I tried to help. Good luck

I'm sorry. There is a misunderstanding. I am asking about the company, not help in finding a specific apartment. I could go that route and maybe will. But this is a national company that finds apartments anywhere in the country. If you are working and your company transfers you from, say, Chicago to San Francisco, this company finds you an apartment in San Francisco. You tell them what you need and they do the work. Same if you just decide you want to move from one place to another.

So, all I was wanting to know was has anyone used Apartment Search and how reliable they are. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:24 AM

Have you asked about them in a forum like NYC or San Fran that might have more use for those types of services? They may not be able to give you direct experience about how good they are in St. Louis, but they might be able to tell you about their experiences with the company overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: