Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 13,206 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I'm a college student looking to move to St. Louis - I visit often (a couple weeks every summer) and I loooove it (and KC too)!
I'm interested in looking for a place in Forest Park Southeast, my dad, who used to live there tells me that it used to be a not so great area of town, but it's gotten better since lots of new people are moving in and renovating the houses - is this true?
I'd like to know your opinion about the general area
I never really got any "bad" vibes from the times I've been there, but it's always nice to know what the residents of the area think.
Also, will I need to keep my car to live there? Or is everything I need (grocery stores, diners, local attractions, etc.) within walking/bike riding/bus distance? And, on that note, how is the city transportation?
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 PM

634 posts, read 2,337,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusWithShoes View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm a college student looking to move to St. Louis - I visit often (a couple weeks every summer) and I loooove it (and KC too)!
I'm interested in looking for a place in Forest Park Southeast, my dad, who used to live there tells me that it used to be a not so great area of town, but it's gotten better since lots of new people are moving in and renovating the houses - is this true?
I'd like to know your opinion about the general area
I never really got any "bad" vibes from the times I've been there, but it's always nice to know what the residents of the area think.
Also, will I need to keep my car to live there? Or is everything I need (grocery stores, diners, local attractions, etc.) within walking/bike riding/bus distance? And, on that note, how is the city transportation?
Thanks!!!
First question: which college will you be attending? That will help narrow down choices (and answers) for your other questions.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Well I'm about to graduate from community college right now, and I'm waiting a year until I go back to school to hopefully get my masters - the schools I'm considering are:
-Webster University
-St. Louis University
-Washington University (Yeah, I know it would be a tough school to get into, but I have the grades & test scores - now I just need the money to pay for it, lol)
-University of Missouri: St. Louis (my back-up school)

Also, I'd appreciate any information about Webster University & St. Louis University I'm from Florida, so I haven't met anyone who's heard about these schools, let alone lived near them or attended them.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:39 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,471,921 times
While I've never known anyone personally who went to Webster, I know it's a great liberal arts school. It's smaller (only about 5000 kids) and is in a very nice area. You'd probably be very happy there.

I have a friend at SLU law right now and my mom got her masters there in special education. It's a slighter bigger school (about 8k maybe?) and it's ranked on the US News and World Report's rankings. I don't think they come out with the new ones yet this year, but last year they were ranked 82, tied with Marquette and SUNY-Binghamton, so it's in good company. It beat MU (the flagship campus in Columbia) by a few points.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,750,363 times
What about Fontbonne University adjacent to Wash U? Is it an okay school?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,778,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusWithShoes View Post
Well I'm about to graduate from community college right now, and I'm waiting a year until I go back to school to hopefully get my masters - the schools I'm considering are:
-Webster University
-St. Louis University
-Washington University (Yeah, I know it would be a tough school to get into, but I have the grades & test scores - now I just need the money to pay for it, lol)
-University of Missouri: St. Louis (my back-up school)

Also, I'd appreciate any information about Webster University & St. Louis University I'm from Florida, so I haven't met anyone who's heard about these schools, let alone lived near them or attended them.
Do you mean going back for your bachelors? You said you completed community college. I am assuming you mean associates degree. Are you going back for bachelors or masters. If masters, where did you get your bachelors?

Also, answers depend on what you will be doing for a living and where you will be living short and long term.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Do you mean going back for your bachelors? You said you completed community college. I am assuming you mean associates degree. Are you going back for bachelors or masters. If masters, where did you get your bachelors?

Also, answers depend on what you will be doing for a living and where you will be living short and long term.
I'm going back to get my bachelors, but my long-term goal is to get my masters, so I'm hoping to do that, and as of right now, there's nothing making that goal unattainable so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to accomplish it.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,523,237 times
I think that you would be happy with Webster U. I have relatives that attended Webster and they all were very happy with their experiences there. I worked at Washington University for many years and it is one of the best, all the way around. But larger and, yes, way more expensive.

Good luck to you in whatever decision that you make.

Webster University

Old 04-02-2008, 06:12 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,031,676 times
If you are going to Wash U, you will need a car from that location SE of Forest Park. You would be better off north of campus if you want to walk to class.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,778,057 times
A lot of it depends on what you will be doing for a living and where you want to live and what you can afford. I do think there is significant value of Wash U and SLU over the other area schools in regards to work and life preparation. They also cost a lot more money too.

I also know people who've attended UMSL, Fontbonne, Webster, Maryville, etc...and all have had positive experiences at those schools and after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis