Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,168 times

Advertisements

Looking at a house in Columbia IL and wondering if anyone had any insight? I've seen some things about the Columbia Lakes subdivision on the North part of Columbia, anything I should know?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM

685 posts, read 767,611 times
I don't know much about that particular subdivision, but Columbia is a great area. It's been growing for a while now. Monroe County, in general, has a high quality of life.

Low crime, good schools, stable demographics, solidly middle-class, and easy traffic. Only 5 minutes to South County's amenities on 255, 20 minutes to StL City. Politically moderate, tilts conservative. Lots of space, open skies. My only gripe about Monroe County is...

- 255 is in need of repair, more so than any other freeway in the Metro East. The state rebuilt 255 in Madison County a few years ago, so I'd imagine Monroe/St. Clair will be soon.

If you're in Columbia, take a drive down to Waterloo, and perhaps through Valmeyer and New Hanover. That'll give you a good feel for the county. Waterloo and Columbia are both very similar.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:22 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
As a former St Louisan, I've always liked Columbia IL. One of these days people will figure out that Columbia IL is only 15 minutes from downtown St Louis and Wentzville MO is about a hour from downtown StL.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:00 PM

252 posts, read 297,985 times
I would think if there is a detractor, it would be IL's tax policies in general.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:00 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
As a former St Louisan, I've always liked Columbia IL. One of these days people will figure out that Columbia IL is only 15 minutes from downtown St Louis and Wentzville MO is about a hour from downtown StL.
Columbia is a nice little town and so is Waterloo a little further away. The main negative for Illinois in general you hear is about taxes - especially property taxes.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:28 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Columbia is a nice little town and so is Waterloo a little further away. The main negative for Illinois in general you hear is about taxes - especially property taxes.
You're right. I just checked the property taxes on my friends place in Columbia IL. $7000 a year on a $350k valuation. That's much higher than St Louis county.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Property taxes are typically higher in Illinois. Sales and income tax will be lower in Monroe County though, and Illinois doesn't have a personal property tax, so it really is going to depend on the amount of property tax the OP would potentially be paying.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:43 PM

685 posts, read 767,611 times
Lifestyle preferences can also impact the decision. 350k buys a lot more in Monroe County vs StL County. Pound-for-pound, I'd say a 250k property in Monroe is at least equivalent to 350k in StL County, if not more. The difference is even more pronounced if you want acreage, although the OP seems to be interested in subdivisions. This reduces the practical difference in property taxes. For reference, my effective rate in Maplewood(MO) is almost 1.5% and my property in Madison County(IL) is at 2.3%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis