Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2019, 12:48 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times

Advertisements

Some say, St. Louis has passed its peak and now it’s on a very subtle and gradual down slope.

Not sure if I agree with it but what improvements and updates would you like to see in St. Louis?

For starters,

1 - I wish if the airport had direct flights to Europe. At least once every month direct to London.
But unfortunately, even WOW air has shut it's doors.

Why there is not enough market and business in St. Louis for international travel when there is quite a bit of international diversity?

2 - Increase half a penny or something in state taxes on per gallon of gas and remove personal property tax. This is annoying and not a very likable thing people are forced to do.

You want our money? FINE! Make it less painful n less cumbersome.

3 - Decrease crime rate. That’s just a dream but doesn’t hurt to dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 07:47 AM

451 posts, read 365,297 times
1.) City wide Form Based Code (Exceptions for Industrial areas)

-No set backs from the road
-No garages facing the road
-Essentially you can't build Chesterfield in the city
-No sprawling parking lots
-No strip malls

2.) Complete re-working of our auto centric infrastructure

-The city is already dissected all over by interstates, we don't need our other road ways to do the same
-I would lower the speed limit in NBR, Cass, Page, MLK, Chouteau, Gravois, Jefferson, Grand, Kinghighway, Union, Mccausland to never exceed 30 mph
-4 lane maximum on those roads
- 20 mph limit with speed bumbs throughout all city neighborhood roads.

I think these two thing would change the regional perception of the city away from just the place you go to something and then leave as quickly as possible. These are just some preliminary thoughts I could go on and on.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:55 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
I would like to see a more robust transit system that prioritizes frequent service.
I'd like to see more housing for the homeless.
I would like more mixed-use zoning, more small neighborhood shops/cafes, and smarter land use in general. Vacancy/parking lot tax to discourage empty space.
If I really had a wish, I'd ask for income insurance and eliminate poverty. Tax 6% on all income above $200k, pay the money to taxpayers making less than X. Basically guarantee that all residents get a share of the state's wealth and give people the freedom to change jobs, open their own business, or even just get sick without being kicked into homelessness. (This is really a Missouri wish not a STL wish.)

I'll also point out that the gas tax wouldn't be a natural substitute for personal property tax, since I think gas tax primarily goes to fund state transportation costs, while the property tax funds local entities. It would probably be replaced by a sales tax or real estate property tax increase. Personally, I like the personal property tax, because I think it's more equitable to tax people with more property. I also don't find it cumbersome in any way, I just respond to the annual bill.

Edit: I would like a direct flight to Europe as well, but I think it's worth noting that it's not that big of a difference, unless London or whatever is your ultimate destination. You can already get to most cities in Europe in one connection.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 AM

197 posts, read 264,982 times
Tax 6% on all income above $200k

Do you want wealthier people to flee the city?

Old 03-01-2019, 10:10 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1980 View Post
Tax 6% on all income above $200k

Do you want wealthier people to flee the city?
Well, it would be a state-level tax.

I think that eliminating poverty would have its own appeal. I'd like to live in a state with fewer millionaires and more entrepreneurs.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:46 PM

451 posts, read 365,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Well, it would be a state-level tax.

I think that eliminating poverty would have its own appeal. I'd like to live in a state with fewer millionaires and more entrepreneurs.
I think that kind of taxing scheme is alot less palatable now that state and local deductions max out

Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
2 - Increase half a penny or something in state taxes on per gallon of gas and remove personal property tax. This is annoying and not a very likable thing people are forced to do.

You want our money? FINE! Make it less painful n less cumbersome.
Even if that were a state tax (it's not), I don't think a half penny would cover anywhere near enough to offset the personal property tax. But I would at least like to see the personal property tax bills mailed every quarter, to make it easier for folks to budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis