Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,406 times

Advertisements

Myself and my 2 children are moving to STL next year. I have been to STL several times and the city has won my heart. This may, 2019, we will be renting an Airbnb near the Hill, to get a sense of the neighborhood, and living in the city. I have a friend who is from STL and has made several recommendations, however, it has been close to a decade since he lived there full time. I would love to find a place in CWE, and have had "Dogtown" (which I have come to find out is Franz park/Cheltenham/Hi Pointe areas I believe.)

I would love some feedback and good areas for Single mother with older children. We have 2 large dogs, and 2 cats, so I know that limits. My friend did also recommend Ferguson if we did not mind being in the suburbs. However, I would prefer to be in the city. Also, one of my children is an avid artist, and I would like to get her into one of the performing arts high schools.

Cost of living is somewhat comparable to Tulsa, OK...the area I will be moving from. I am starting to gather information. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 AM

451 posts, read 364,593 times
with 2 large Dogs I would recommend living near one of the cities amazing parks. Hoods around Forrest Park, Tower Grove Park, Carondalet Park, Francis Park, and O'Fallon Park may suit your tastes.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
We live in Dogtown (add Clayton Tamm to the list of official neighborhoods that make it up) with 2 kids. It is a really great place with kids--though mine are younger. We can walk to the zoo and are so close to the MO History Museum and Science Center. I'd classify it as moderately walkable, though about to improve with a grocery store opening in the heart of the neighborhood soon.

To me, the best neighborhoods with kids are Shaw & Tower Grove South. Large homes, so much going on along Grand Blvd, Tower Grove Park is lovely and has a great farmer's market on the weekend and on Tuesday nights in the summer. Single family homes have definitely skyrocketed in price, though.

The hill is really great too--my oldest goes to preschool there. Real estate there is kind of goofy though. Lots of small shotgun houses, and then new construction that is generally pretty expensive (and at times completely out of place--see 5529 Botanical Ave, bleh).

The neighborhoods near Hampton/Chippewa are close to a lot of amenities that make it walkable too, though the commercial stuff there isn't designed to be very walkable. Target, a gym, a library, a grocery store, lots of fast food. The nearby real estate is cute though.

Basically, all of the southwest side of the city is a nice place to live. Plenty of pockets in the southeast side are family friendly, too. The Central West End never feels family-friendly to me--it's more younger people like college students, younger people affiliated with hospitals/universities, or retirees.

Arts high schools: Central VPA (magnet school) or Grand Center Arts Academy (charter school--a friend's husband works there). GCAA got a lot of press recently from one of their students being accepted to Berklee College of Music after just a couple years of piano. I know a couple people with kids at both.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,406 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: