Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times

Advertisements

We may be moving from Charlotte to St. Louis this summer due to a job relocation, and have been looking for houses for a while. We like IL, esp, the Belleville area, but wondered if there are any other spots on the MO side that could be recommended? We are looking for something under $115k, which makes it tough to find safe areas, it seems. We like the fact that Belleville has mass transit to St. Louis so near, and would not mind a spot in MO if there awas the mass transit. Any other areas that may fit our needs? We homeschool, so schools are not really a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 PM

84 posts, read 339,205 times
Florissant

Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Dogtown inside the city of St. Louis has some pretty affordable areas, but St. Louis City public schools aren't great, so private school would probably be necessary.

How many bedrooms by the way?

Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate has listings, but mostly on the Missouri side.

Here's a 4 BR in South St. Louis for $115k. It looks nice, and the South St. Louis area is generally okay, but I would ask about the exact area anyway. Tennessee Ave.
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

I had a friend who lived in Belleville. She said the area has good and bad parts.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 04-13-2008 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,715 times
Look in the South County area.

If you use the website that STLCardsBlues recommended, you can search by school district. Look in the Affton, Bayless, Hancock Place, and Mehlville school districts. All are very safe areas, and there are plenty of houses in your price range.

The South County doesn't have Metrolink service, but it does have bus service. The taxes in Missouri are much less than on the Illinois side.

There are also lots of very nice areas in the city limits that would work. However, at that price point you will need to get a good real estate agent that knows the good areas and bad areas like the back of their hand. The recommendation for Dogtown is a good one. The regular public city schools generally aren't that great, but Dogtown has an OK neighborhood elementary school, and the magnet schools and some of the charters schools are very good.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 AM

51 posts, read 63,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Dogtown inside the city of St. Louis has some pretty affordable areas, but St. Louis City public schools aren't great, so private school would probably be necessary.

How many bedrooms by the way?

Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate has listings, but mostly on the Missouri side.

Here's a 4 BR in South St. Louis for $115k. It looks nice, and the South St. Louis area is generally okay, but I would ask about the exact area anyway. Tennessee Ave.

I had a friend who lived in Belleville. She said the area has good and bad parts.
Be careful with that, there are some very bad neighborhoods in south city. Trust me, you're talking to a guy who almost signed a lease on a place that I found out later I probably shouldn't be outside after dark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis