Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 02:24 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times

Advertisements

https://northstlouiscounty.com/north...ouis-county-2/

" Watlow Electric employs 450 employees at their Maryland Heights facility in North St. Louis County."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post

" Watlow Electric employs 450 employees at their Maryland Heights facility in North St. Louis County."

They're wrong. ;-p

Kidding, kidding.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,678 times
I think the difficulty some are having in categorizing cities like Maryland Heights as either west county or north county can be easily explained: There’s also an area known as “northwest county”. I grew up there and that’s pretty much what most of us called it. Not north county— that was the other side of I-70. And certainly not west county—that area is much too economically and historically different.
Remember Northwest Plaza? It was once the hub of northwest county. This area also encompasses Overland, St John, Breckenridge, St Ann, Sycamore Hills, Vinita Park, Edmundson, Bridgeton, and even Earth City. Generally, the Ritenour, Pattonville and (a piece of) Normandy school districts.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:05 PM

45 posts, read 46,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post

1 source to match my 10. Nice job. There are several others who consider Maryland Heights North County too. The truth lies somewhere in between. Maryland Heights is also arguably West County. There are others who consider it a west central suburb. If you want to compromise and say it’s also North County, fine. But Maryland Heights is not conclusively North County.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I think the difficulty some are having in categorizing cities like Maryland Heights as either west county or north county can be easily explained: There’s also an area known as “northwest county”. I grew up there and that’s pretty much what most of us called it. Not north county— that was the other side of I-70. And certainly not west county—that area is much too economically and historically different.
Remember Northwest Plaza? It was once the hub of northwest county. This area also encompasses Overland, St John, Breckenridge, St Ann, Sycamore Hills, Vinita Park, Edmundson, Bridgeton, and even Earth City. Generally, the Ritenour, Pattonville and (a piece of) Normandy school districts.
Breckenridge, Overland, the Ritenour and Pattonville school district, Sycamore Hills, and Vinita Park are not West in any form. Northwest County is St. Ann, Bridgeton, and some of Hazelwood. Overland, Sycamore Hills, and Vinita Park are arguably not even North County for crying out loud. Geographically they are a short distance from Clayton. Edmundson and Normandy are North Central County. You just essentially said all my sources are trash. Anyone with a brain can tell most of the places you named are not Northwest County. Earth City I agree is Northwest County. Maryland Heights I concede could be Northwest County but it extends too far South. So I would again argue it has parts that are purely West County.

Last edited by Claytonian4; 08-27-2019 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-28-2019, 09:54 AM

Also I don't understand how cities bordering other regions can be conclusively identified as belonging to one region or another. Maryland Heights, Overland, Webster Groves, Frontenac, and Kirkwood are all border regions at best. Maryland Heights is claimed by both North and West County. Overland is claimed by both Mid and North County. Frontenac is claimed by both Mid and West County. And there is such a thing as Mid County. And Webster Groves is claimed by both Mid and South County. You also can't say West County is a universal region because not all of it is rich. Eureka and Wildwood are most definitely West County. Fenton is South County. Valley Park is claimed by both South and West County. Kirkwood borders and has elements of South County, as well as West County, while being considered Mid County. There is no such thing as Northwest County. If it exists, it's St. Ann, Bridgeton, Earth City, and Hazelwood. I personally consider Overland to be Mid County, Maryland Heights West County, anything south of the Rock Road and west of where it hits 70, south of 70, as not North County, or at least a mixture of North County and another region. I don't think Overland has more in common with Ferguson than Olivette. I don't think Maryland Heights has more in common with Bridgeton than it does with Creve Couer. I think many people think places are more North County because of how many blacks live there, but a lot of blacks live in Richmond Heights, Maplewood, and Webster Groves too. I've never thought Hanley Hills and Vinita Park felt any different from Northern University City. These places are not definitively North County. It's a lot like going from the Midwest to the South. It doesn't just automatically change in an instant from one place to another. There are transition zones. And my argument is that that transition zone occurs between Page Avenue and St. Charles Rock Road, and west of where St. Charles Rock Road runs into 70, 70 and Page (364).

Old 08-28-2019, 09:24 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonian4 View Post
Also I don't understand how cities bordering other regions can be conclusively identified as belonging to one region or another. Maryland Heights, Overland, Webster Groves, Frontenac, and Kirkwood are all border regions at best. Maryland Heights is claimed by both North and West County. Overland is claimed by both Mid and North County. Frontenac is claimed by both Mid and West County. And there is such a thing as Mid County. And Webster Groves is claimed by both Mid and South County. You also can't say West County is a universal region because not all of it is rich. Eureka and Wildwood are most definitely West County. Fenton is South County. Valley Park is claimed by both South and West County. Kirkwood borders and has elements of South County, as well as West County, while being considered Mid County. There is no such thing as Northwest County. If it exists, it's St. Ann, Bridgeton, Earth City, and Hazelwood. I personally consider Overland to be Mid County, Maryland Heights West County, anything south of the Rock Road and west of where it hits 70, south of 70, as not North County, or at least a mixture of North County and another region. I don't think Overland has more in common with Ferguson than Olivette. I don't think Maryland Heights has more in common with Bridgeton than it does with Creve Couer. I think many people think places are more North County because of how many blacks live there, but a lot of blacks live in Richmond Heights, Maplewood, and Webster Groves too. I've never thought Hanley Hills and Vinita Park felt any different from Northern University City. These places are not definitively North County. It's a lot like going from the Midwest to the South. It doesn't just automatically change in an instant from one place to another. There are transition zones. And my argument is that that transition zone occurs between Page Avenue and St. Charles Rock Road, and west of where St. Charles Rock Road runs into 70, 70 and Page (364).
I think the point is there are not precise definitions and it evolves around perceptions of people who live here.

Heck I had a friend in college who grew up off Conway west of 270 and he thought anything south of 40 was south county. I can tell you as someone who grew up in Kirkwood and lives there today we don't consider Kirkwood south county. Maybe others still do.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:30 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonian4 View Post
And my argument is that that transition zone occurs between Page Avenue and St. Charles Rock Road, and west of where St. Charles Rock Road runs into 70, 70 and Page (364).
I think things start getting north countyish north of Olive tell you the truth. I wouldn't necessarily declare it north county.

Overland doesn't have much in common with Kirkwood, Webster, Glendale, et al.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:20 AM

197 posts, read 264,778 times
From what I've learned, people living in Bellerive Acres, Bel-Nor and Pasadena Hills do not consider themselves as part of North County, but north mid-county. I think 70 is a loose border between the two.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:25 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think the point is there are not precise definitions and it evolves around perceptions of people who live here.

Heck I had a friend in college who grew up off Conway west of 270 and he thought anything south of 40 was south county. I can tell you as someone who grew up in Kirkwood and lives there today we don't consider Kirkwood south county. Maybe others still do.
I think Kirkwood and Webster Groves can be lumped in with Valley Park, Pacific and Eureka as "towns along the Pacific line that retain strong elements of their pre-WWII identity."

As opposed to old towns like Florissant that were swamped by English-speaking suburbanites and tract housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis