Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:14 AM

45 posts, read 46,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think things start getting north countyish north of Olive tell you the truth. I wouldn't necessarily declare it north county.

Overland doesn't have much in common with Kirkwood, Webster, Glendale, et al.
Overland has a lot in common with Olivette and University City, even Brentwood and Richmond Heights (outside of the upper class neighborhoods of Lake Forest and Hampton Park) and Maplewood though. Similar demographics, not too dissimilar home prices and household income, etc. Mid County, like all the other regions is a mixed bag. We will have to agree to disagree that things feel north countyish north of Olive. I personally believe the hard line where things become undeniably North County is St. Charles Rock Road. You can argue Overland is a transition zone along with Maryland Heights, but I would not call either definitively North County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 03:18 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,564,959 times
Gee, Claytonian, I think you’re taking this topic a bit too seriously. I mean, does it really matter what we call the area in which we live? Even if many of us uses a different label for the same area. This is how we roll. No biggie. Who really cares? If the topic upsets you, perhaps not discussing it in a public forum would be a great suggestion.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think Kirkwood and Webster Groves can be lumped in with Valley Park, Pacific and Eureka as "towns along the Pacific line that retain strong elements of their pre-WWII identity."

As opposed to old towns like Florissant that were swamped by English-speaking suburbanites and tract housing.
Curious where the quoted language is from?

Old 08-29-2019, 07:41 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1980 View Post
From what I've learned, people living in Bellerive Acres, Bel-Nor and Pasadena Hills do not consider themselves as part of North County, but north mid-county. I think 70 is a loose border between the two.
If it's not North County they can see it from there. The planes at Lambert are almost landing on top of them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative because I don't really care. I just don't hear the term "mid-county" used much conversationally, although obviously there is such a thing when you look at a map. I'm well aware of the Mid-County YMCA. Blew my ACL out there playing pickup basketball at age 23 many years ago.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Gee, Claytonian, I think you’re taking this topic a bit too seriously. I mean, does it really matter what we call the area in which we live? Even if many of us uses a different label for the same area. This is how we roll. No biggie. Who really cares? If the topic upsets you, perhaps not discussing it in a public forum would be a great suggestion.
I’m not upset by it, I’m here to have a debate. It’s all St. Louis regardless of what part of the county it is. I’ve just always seen Mid County as being at the northernmost Breckenridge Hills, Overland, Charlack, Sycamore Hills, Vinita Park, Hanley Hills, and Wellston, and on the southernmost points by Webster Groves and Oakland and Kirkwood. North County starts in St. Ann, St. John, Woodson Terrace, Edmundson, Bel-Nor, Bellerive, and Normandy and Pine Lawn. South County begins in Shrewsbury, Crestwood, Affton, Lemay, and Sunset Hills. I know my view isn’t necessarily universal but if my boundaries are inaccurate they are not far off. The airport is unquestionably North County. Anything north of and along 70 is undebatably North County. I would argue any city along Natural Bridge to be the same. It gets grayer south of there. Shrewsbury is also a gray area because it shares a zip code with Webster Groves and the two are right alongside each other. I am just interested to see the various views. Lastly I would argue that Des Peres, Town and Country, Creve Couer, and Maryland Heights are where West County begins. An argument can be made for either North or West, or North or Mid County for whatever is northof or along Page/364 and south of 70/St. Charles Rock Road.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:51 PM

396 posts, read 653,846 times
humm -

Just my opinion -

North County - everything north of Page to county limits

Mid County - City Limits to Lindbergh and Page to 44

West County - County limits to Lindbergh and Page to 44

South County - Everything south of 44 to county limits

Old 08-30-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
humm -

Just my opinion -

I strongly disagree that Lindbergh is the boundary of West County and that Page is the boundary of North County. I know some of your views are shared by many others but I never feel I'm in West County until around 270 nor do I feel I'm in North County until I'm nearing St. Charles Rock Rd. You are making Mid County tiny.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:01 PM

685 posts, read 768,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trafford View Post
humm -

Just my opinion -

I agree. This is how I've always known StL.

And I agree with MUTGR that "mid-county" has never been a thing. I understand the logic behind the term, because that area isn't north, south, or west county. It is a collection of streetcar suburbs and pre-war neighborhoods that would be within the City in any other metro area.

I've also heard folks refer to Ladue as West County. I don't agree with that geographically, but I understand their assertion. "West County" generally means "wealthy" in StL parlance, and Ladue is generally recognized as the wealthiest suburb in StL.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I agree. This is how I've always known StL.

And I agree with MUTGR that "mid-county" has never been a thing. I understand the logic behind the term, because that area isn't north, south, or west county. It is a collection of streetcar suburbs and pre-war neighborhoods that would be within the City in any other metro area.

I've also heard folks refer to Ladue as West County. I don't agree with that geographically, but I understand their assertion. "West County" generally means "wealthy" in StL parlance, and Ladue is generally recognized as the wealthiest suburb in StL.
That may be as you’ve known it, but it’s not how everyone sees it. Mid County is indeed a thing. Maybe not always but it certainly is today. You are deluding yourself by thinking otherwise. Page is not the boundary for North County as I see it. It’s further north than that. Lindbergh is also not the boundary of West County. That’s a fact. 270 is much closer to the truth. You are accepting boundary definitions which are old and outdated.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 PM

42 posts, read 52,288 times
I used to run a popular blog about North County and would get loads of hate mail if I dared refer to Overland or Maryland Heights as North County, LOL. MH prefers to be called Northwest County, Overland likes Mid-County.

What's interesting is looking at the various cities and chambers of commerce and seeing how they define themselves. Also how St Louis County government defines them. You can see the North County map from County gov at the link below. It's pretty much every community from the city line to the Missouri River, primarily north of Page.

https://explorenorthstlouiscounty.com/about/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis