Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2019, 12:07 PM
 
13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Reputation: 30753

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Alton, Edwardsville, Belleville that I know. I hear good things about Columbia IL but don’t know if they have a decent downtown.

Alton has an awesome downtown. Lots of restaurants, Mineral Springs Mall, Fast Eddy's is close by. To me, it's a very pleasant way to spend the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2019, 12:08 PM
 
13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Reputation: 30753
Other quaint places...Grafton. Interesting shops along the river, and a great view of the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Conservative in Liberal California
1,678 posts, read 2,545,980 times
Reputation: 11366
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Which small towns and/or cities across the river from St. Louis have the nicest downtowns?
We just moved to Alton, from California 18 months ago! Alton has a cute downtown, but there's not as much going on since covid! It was bustling when we got here & hopefully will be again! Views of the Mississippi River and the beautiful bridge to St. Louis are spectacular...we went down by the river a couple of days ago, and you can get within just a couple of feet of it! Magnificent!! Don't miss California at all, except for kids & grandkids...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2020, 02:19 PM
 
3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Reputation: 1633
Sauget? Just a week ago, I promised myself that, if I ran across your query again, I would mention this. I have not idea what Sauget is like. I did not even know there was such a town. I was ordering something from a company called Medline and it came from Sauget. I asked where that is and the man said "right across the river from St. Louis". And, last confession: I've not gotten out a map to check it. Nor looked it up online. Been busy at other things. Seems odd I'd never heard of it. It might be no more than a shipping area where trucks pull in to load and unload.



Maybe someone here knows more about it. If not, you are on your own. I just wanted to pass it on. I'd be interested in hearing more about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2020, 02:26 PM
 
3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Reputation: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
We just moved to Alton, from California 18 months ago! Alton has a cute downtown, but there's not as much going on since covid! It was bustling when we got here & hopefully will be again! Views of the Mississippi River and the beautiful bridge to St. Louis are spectacular...we went down by the river a couple of days ago, and you can get within just a couple of feet of it! Magnificent!! Don't miss California at all, except for kids & grandkids...

Just a pause to smile for personal reasons. Thanks. I needed that. hazel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 AM
 
4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Reputation: 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Sauget? Just a week ago, I promised myself that, if I ran across your query again, I would mention this. I have not idea what Sauget is like. I did not even know there was such a town. I was ordering something from a company called Medline and it came from Sauget. I asked where that is and the man said "right across the river from St. Louis". And, last confession: I've not gotten out a map to check it. Nor looked it up online. Been busy at other things. Seems odd I'd never heard of it. It might be no more than a shipping area where trucks pull in to load and unload.



Maybe someone here knows more about it. If not, you are on your own. I just wanted to pass it on. I'd be interested in hearing more about it.
Sauget was incorporated by Monsanto as a company town to dodge environmental regulations, and nowadays is mostly known for poverty, strip clubs, and the Gateway Grizzlies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2020, 09:42 AM
 
3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Reputation: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Sauget was incorporated by Monsanto as a company town to dodge environmental regulations, and nowadays is mostly known for poverty, strip clubs, and the Gateway Grizzlies.

Oh, dear. No, don't go to Sauget. I am curious, though. What environmental regulations? And who are the Gateway Grizzlies? Sports team?


I was telling a friend in California about our black bears. Had her rather stirred up. I should be very careful, she said. Bears are mean and attack on sight. "No, dear; not our little black bears. Their problem is that they want to eat us out of house and home."


Well, back on topic. Edwardsville - or Collinsville - would be my pick. I can't recall which but one of those two has a wonderful home-style restaurant with a very unique way of collecting our money. They do not (or did not) want credit card or cash. Would accept neither. All they wanted was checks and show an ID. I see their point but checks can be bad, too. Yes? Anyway, we had a wonderful meal there on our way back from Cahokia. I'd like to live nearby and eat there daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2020, 02:02 PM
 
4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Reputation: 3881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Oh, dear. No, don't go to Sauget. I am curious, though. What environmental regulations? And who are the Gateway Grizzlies? Sports team?
It was incorporated (as "Monsanto") in 1926, I don't know what the regs were at the time. You can read a little more here:
https://old.post-gazette.com/pg/06276/727066-28.stm


Gateway Grizzlies are an independent minor league baseball team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2020, 02:05 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Sauget was incorporated by Monsanto as a company town to dodge environmental regulations, and nowadays is mostly known for poverty, strip clubs, and the Gateway Grizzlies.
The poverty is more so in neighboring East St. Louis and Cahokia considering Sauget is a town of approximately 150 people, but yeah. Can barely call it a town to be honest.

Best known for heavy industry, strip clubs, 24 hour bars like Pops, the Grizzlies, and one of the two recreational weed dispensaries currently in the Metro East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2020, 02:48 PM
 
3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Reputation: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It was incorporated (as "Monsanto") in 1926, I don't know what the regs were at the time. You can read a little more here:
https://old.post-gazette.com/pg/06276/727066-28.stm


Gateway Grizzlies are an independent minor league baseball team.

Thank you. I shall check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top