Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 28,554 times

Advertisements

Hello!! I am moving to St. Louis in late July with my boyfriend because I was accepted into a graduate program at the University of Missouri at St.Louis. I am looking for a one or two bedroom apartment (with decent amenities) in either Soulard or WCE. I narrowed down to those two areas based on what many people have said BUT, I am willing to think about other areas if they are safe and close to things (transportation, restaurants, and so on). I try to do apartment searches, but they just give street addresses and I have no idea if that is in South County, CWE, Soulard, or what. Some tell where they are located in their descriptions, but few. Also, I would just like to know what apartment complexes/lofts any of you recommend (to live in of stay away from Any help would be wonderful. Actually, any advice about the area would be great. You all seem very helpful and I am excited about the move (I am coming from upstate NY where it snows WAY too much and there is really nothing to do ) Well- Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 PM

32 posts, read 105,133 times
I am also moving to STL this month and I am moving to the Forest Park area...I have visited there many times and I love it! I hear that it is very safe and there is a lot to do around there! The Zoo and the Science Center and also Forest Park which is way bigger than Central Park! Its beautiful and there is always something going on during the summer! The loft that I am renting is Lofts and the Highlands...The Lofts At The Highlands

They are newer and are VERY safe! They have underground parking that is heated and is right by Forest Park.

Good luck with everything!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1611 View Post
I am also moving to STL this month and I am moving to the Forest Park area...I have visited there many times and I love it! I hear that it is very safe and there is a lot to do around there! The Zoo and the Science Center and also Forest Park which is way bigger than Central Park! Its beautiful and there is always something going on during the summer! The loft that I am renting is Lofts and the Highlands...The Lofts At The Highlands

They are newer and are VERY safe! They have underground parking that is heated and is right by Forest Park.

Good luck with everything!
Thanks for the area suggestion. The lofts themselves are too expensive. I should have clarified my price ranges-sorry about that.....I could afford between $400-800 a month on rent. Hopefully I can still find a place in a nice area

Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 59,707 times
Default Good places

Look at Byron Company - St. Louis Apartment Rentals (my landlords) they offer places in CWE, Dogtown, and right by the loop (where I am) rent for a 2 br- is below 800 and the places aren't to bad.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
This map and the neighborhood pages linked to it might help you figure out what neighborhood an address is in.
The Central West End is area 38 and Soulard is 21.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:14 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,928,024 times
Give Washington Avenue in Downtown a look. Soulard and CWE are great neighborhoods.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 PM

17 posts, read 78,507 times
Default I love the CWE

St. Louis has many beautiful neighborhoods. I live in the CWE, but in the Debaliviere Place area (which is on the edge of CWE). You'd get all the conveniences of the CWE for a little less of the price. I live on Pershing Ave, which is a very nice street in the CWE area. You should check this neighborhood out. I pay $640 for a nice two bedroom apartment. My friend also lives on this street and she rents a two bedroom as well for around $680. Some apartments do run $1000 plus in the CWE, but if you look hard enough, you'd luck up. Trying looking for apartments in the 63112 and 63108 zip codes. Check out: DeBaliviere Neighborhood (http://stlouis.missouri.org/debaliviereplace/ - broken link) for more information about Debaliviere Place. I live in walking distance from Forest Park, the Missouri History Museum (literally around the corner) and a very short drive from Euclid Ave. I LOVE IT!!!

I've never lived in Soulard, but what I do know is that you really have to be careful in that area. During February, they have their Mardi Gras celebration and it can get a bit rowdy (but if you don't mind the noise...it only last a few days). Farmer's Market is in the area and its a really cool place to pick up groceries and different eccentric things. There are a lot of bars and pubs in the area too. Its a really trendy neighborhood. Check out: Historic Soulard
Soulard.com (broken link)
Soulard Farmers Market, Information, Pictures and History

Another good thing is that I live in walking distance of the Metrolink too, so if you wanted to catch the Metrolink to class, UMSL has two Metrolink stops! Good luck on your move and I hope this was helpful!

Last edited by stl-girl04; 04-23-2008 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 PM

Thank You so much for the help-I am excited about the move. Some people here have been doubtful that I could find a safe city in St.Loius, but from talking with people who actually live there, I have no worries. How would people who have never been to the area know, anyway? Ah, but I digress--Thanks again for the help As great as the area sounds with the price of rent, I can't believe the US doesn't here move noise about St.Louis!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,928,024 times
I lived in Soulard and I fell it is one of the safest places to live in the city. Even better than the CWE where I lived as well.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM

45 posts, read 134,477 times
If you are going to UMSL, you might want to consider living near a Metrolink Station so you can take the train to school, or somewhere that won't require you to take Highway 40 to get to school (it's shut down to the west right now but will shut down from 170 East toward the CWE in January.

You might want to look in Clayton, Brentwood or U City. Lots of reasonably priced rentals and right near 170 which goes right to UMSL. Any areas around Wash U toward the CWE are good options, too (Skinker/DeBaliviere/Forest Park). Craisglist is a great source for rentals and I think Wash U has something online with rental info as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis