Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 10:52 AM

114 posts, read 512,935 times

Advertisements

Yes I realize that which is why I asked for suggestions on where we might look. I’m sorry I didn’t make that clear. I was asking about the job locations offered. The brain is pretty scattered at the moment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 11:41 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,401,356 times
I would focus on St. Charles County for a Bridgeton job. Especially if you can commute in on 370. Under 250K is still going to be a big ask...but for instance, this is close to the river so you'd have to assess flood risk, but this is what you might get

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_33583079/

Old 11-28-2019, 05:33 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,585,079 times
New London MO has a population of 974 people. Some of the high-rise condo buildings here in San Diego have more people in one building.

As a former long-term St Louis resident, take the job in Bridgeton. For living, try to stay east of the Missouri River. Bridge commutes can be a pain. You can buy a nice house in Maryland Heights or Creve Coeur with very friendly neighbors and easy shopping. Find a good local RE Broker.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:17 PM

685 posts, read 769,924 times
Homeschooling, churches, and acreage are generally associated with more conservative, rural areas. With that said and a 250k budget, those characteristics remind me of these places. I put them in order, based upon my personal knowledge of commute times and acreage costs.

1. Western St. Charles County (25 mile commute). May be over your budget depending on acreage.
2. Madison County (20-30 mile commute)
2. Lincoln County (30+ mile commute)
2. Warren County (30+ mile commute)
3. The Riverbend, e.g. Godfrey (30 mile commute).
4. JeffCo (30+ mile commute on the busiest freeway in StL)
5. Monroe County (30 mile commute on the busiest freeway in StL). Probably over your budget.

?. This one is a wild card: Far North County (10 mile commute). Schools aren't great, but you are homeschooling. Not sure about the church situation. Its a beautiful rural area, isolated by sprawl and surrounding demographics. Not very many amenities. Most folks travel down Lindbergh or into Illinois to get stuff.

The real limiting factor here is acreage. Bridgeton is relatively central and you'll have to commute on 270 or 70, or up your budget to find land.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
As a guy who grew up in bridgeton, and currently lives only a few miles away, you're not going to find much acreage in Bridgeton. AS previous posters said, you can find land in far north county if that's what you're looking for. Likely setup as a few acres here or there. If your hope is to find 40+ acres and a mule, you're likely going to have to go to more rural areas of missouri or illinois.

I've seen a few tear downs recently on larger lots. One had 4 acres and was listed for sale in bridgeton for $400,000. That price was later reduced to $200,000, and it sold at that price. Sadly the lot was split up, the historic home on it, was disassembled (it had a log cabin and a surrounding structure built around it) and the rest of the lot is being subdivided to make way for a subdivision. Another home in Maryland Heights was listed for a similar price, torn down, and has a large ranch home being built on the lot right now. Not sure how much they sold the home for though.

My personal advice has always been, avoid putting a bridge in your commute. Whether that be St. Charles or Illinois, I have always had great luck in NOT having to deal with a bridge commute, and the traffic that ensues during bad weather, or rush hour (there are only so many ways you can go, and you're ALWAYS going to have to use the interstate). When I commuted from Northwest St. Louis County to Downtown, or from my current residence to Chesterfield, I have always had options of interstate of street level roads. Going downtown it would add about ten minutes to my drive, and going to Chesterfield it only adds a few minutes. But it's great peace of mind to know that you aren't reliant on the interstate system if weather is junk, roads or bad, or an accident has slowed the morning commute.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:05 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,559,831 times
How much land are you wanting?

I’m not sure that you be able to find much in St. Louis County. Someone pointed out that you might be able to find something in far northern St. Louis County. You will be far removed from 270 which will make commuting a hassle.

The other option is to look into land along or north of the 370 corridor. I have no idea how much an acre would cost. It will be on floodplain, so the land ought to be cheaper. It’s also prime farmland (no idea how much of a factor that is/isn’t), and you will have insurance and the inconvenience and risk of floods.

The other options are to Warren or Lincoln counties which will be at least thirty miles. Traffic is highly variable. When commuting across bridges, you naturally have fewer options and run into the risk of lane closures from accidents or construction. Blanchette Bridge (I-70) is going to be under construction next year, for example.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis