U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 08:45 AM

7,250 posts, read 5,682,349 times

Advertisements

https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...home-top-story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 09:55 AM

5,871 posts, read 6,480,303 times
Hmm. Buyer beware. Newtown is in a flood zone. Government can't afford to continue to bail residents out for poor investment in a flood plain. I will stick with Lafayette Square or Soulard.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:27 AM

1,931 posts, read 1,983,184 times
I'm surprised at this news, but glad to hear it actually. I figured New Town would be a ghost town by now, the way it got hammered in the great recession. Didn't the Dispatch run a story maybe 10 years ago about how messed up it was (bad contractors, collapsed finances, shaky community, etc.)?

Old 03-01-2020, 07:18 PM

3,353 posts, read 7,263,046 times
have loved new town since the first time i went out there in the early 2000's...had a couple friends move out there in 2006ish and spent considerable time out there with them during that time. Took in a bunch of movies in the park over there, and the small community feel is phenomenal. Honestly, if it wasn't 20 miles from me in Maryland Heights, or my work when I was downtown, I'd have SERIOUSLY considered moving there...the other downfall was my wife was always totally against it. Personally, I loved the idea of being able to walk down the street to the bar, grab something to eat, and a few drinks, then walk back home in relative safety. I also dig the architecture and home color palette

Old 03-02-2020, 02:20 AM

4,057 posts, read 5,598,395 times
When I left St Louis in the early 2000s, I knew New Town would be a winner. It has had it's ups and downs but in the long-run, New Town will do just fine.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:36 AM

7,103 posts, read 2,026,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Hmm. Buyer beware. Newtown is in a flood zone. Government can't afford to continue to bail residents out for poor investment in a flood plain. I will stick with Lafayette Square or Soulard.
Quickest buck at the cheapest possible price and everything else be damed!

Old 03-02-2020, 09:55 PM

7,250 posts, read 5,682,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I'm surprised at this news, but glad to hear it actually. I figured New Town would be a ghost town by now, the way it got hammered in the great recession. Didn't the Dispatch run a story maybe 10 years ago about how messed up it was (bad contractors, collapsed finances, shaky community, etc.)?
It received a lot of bad press for a while and a lot of derogatory comments here. Personally, and I spent many years driving out there right down the street until recently for soccer games, it never interested me when you can get the concept in so many existing areas (Kirkwood, Webster Groves, certain STL City neighborhoods, etc.). But I'm a firm believer in to each his or her own.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:17 PM

492 posts, read 391,091 times
New Town is above the 500-year flood elevation, so no, it is not in a flood zone.

I suspect most residents like it because they have a new house, in a walkable area with good schools, for far less cash than the inner ring suburbs (Webster, Kirkwood, etc). Probably lower taxes too, but I'm not sure.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 PM

3,353 posts, read 7,263,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
New Town is above the 500-year flood elevation, so no, it is not in a flood zone.

I suspect most residents like it because they have a new house, in a walkable area with good schools, for far less cash than the inner ring suburbs (Webster, Kirkwood, etc). Probably lower taxes too, but I'm not sure.
I think you hit the nail on the head for why people like it. It's the reasons I like it too. Add in that the homes are neatly kept - have strict HOAs enforcement, and yea...it's a great spot.

They are not technically in the flood plain, but....yea. I think the issue there is how they're built to be out of the technical flood plain, while all the residents realize you're hanging out in the river valley at the mercy of the levees...at the wrong time, or with the wrong breach, everyone will be using their boat.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:50 PM

9,001 posts, read 3,300,008 times
We've had severe enough flooding in the last few years. How many times has New Town flooded? I remember when the whole 370 park area was flooded. I remember when parts of the Fox Hill area was flooded...but I don't remember hearing about New Town flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or