Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 10:52 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times

Advertisements

I’m strongly considering doing a historic rehab in Hyde Park if my career path keeps me in St. Louis. I’m a white upper-middle class male, so it’d be obvious I’m a newcomer. I’ll preface by noting this: I know St. Louis city pretty well (born and raised in the area, currently work in the city), I’m pretty street smart and always take precautions in my daily routine, I stay out of trouble & mind my own business, and of course any move I’d make would involve me adding an alarm system and enclosed parking.

That all being said, how much risk would I be taking on with such a move even after such precautions? Is there a high likelihood I’ll get robbed at gunpoint, carjacked, burglarized, shot at, etc even after taking all the necessary steps, in Hyde Park specifically? Is there a good chance I would be a victim of something in broad daylight? What’s the police presence like?

I wouldn’t plan on wandering off to say, O’Fallon, Baden, Fairground Park, etc where things are even more dangerous; any ventures on foot would probably just be in range of the park itself, and any journeys around North City would probably just be to Old North. I’d drive everywhere else, Uber if I choose to go out (when I go out in the city it’s almost always in Soulard). I don’t mind homeless people, as long as they’re not super aggressive, and I help them out from time to time. I’m not all *that* worried about hearing gunshots, at least in theory, as long as they aren’t directed at me or my stuff.

So just how at risk would I be with a move like this in Hyde Park, given all this context? Will I be able to avoid any issues by playing it smart? Or is something bad inevitable in that specific neighborhood? What are some things I’d need to watch out for?

Any and all input, especially from anyone that’s lived in or frequents the area, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 10:32 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Have you driven by the specific properties that interest you? Have you driven by them at all hours? Remember, you'll be living there, you'll be there 24x7 with small exceptions for work. So, there's always the possibility of going out, and coming back late, inebriated, etc.

I made a point to do that, and the neighborhood I was moving into i'd consider PERFECTLY safe in comparison to an area of North St. Louis City. I know friends who've moved into St. Louis City, one off Shaw and he's had issues with his neighbors and neighborhood to some extent over the last decade. But nothing to write home about. He has answered the door with his pistol in his hand a few times, and had to deal with property damage on his motorcycles and cars. He has a privacy fence (i'd guess 6 ft) and his alley access parking is blocked by a carport with garage door facing the alley. Kids would jump the fence, and tip over his Harley for fun.

I think it's obvious you'd have to keep your wits about you. Will you stand out as a white male in North St. Louis City...yea. After you rehab the home, you're likely to REALLY stand out, especially if the remainder of your block or neighborhood doesn't see an influx of cash and renovations. Obviously the old moniker that you don't want to be the nicest home on the block comes into mind, and if you're fixing up a home in North City, you DO run the risk of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis