Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 09:03 PM

55 posts, read 48,015 times

Advertisements

STLMike,

I am seriously indebted to you! Thank you for all this info!!! I'm excited to dig a little deeper into that area north and west of Forest Park now!

I hear what you are saying about crime, and it totally makes sense. I also hear what you are saying about most people happily living their lives (despite what any statistics might show).

If we were to stay in the area at a hotel or BnB (maybe an AirBnb), would there be a place that you'd recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 11:14 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,081 times
I typically use hotels, so I am not too familiar with Air BnB's. I see many listed in DeBeliviere, so perhaps start there. There is a lot of redevelopment happening in that neighborhood as the CWE continues to expand.

I can share with you also a general tip that I hope changes as more of the city gentrifies. Delmar Blvd is generally considered the dividing line between a more prosperous central corridor and north city - generally the area with more poverty, blight and more crime. There is some interest to redevelop north city, and the US is moving their Geospatial HQ into the area. But that is some time down the road.

For a moderately priced hotel, you can try the Holiday Inn Express on Lindell in the Central West End. For something more unique and local, try the Cheshire Inn (it was used in the film Up In the Air). I have not seen their rooms, but I have used their pool and a friend stayed there last weekend while in town.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:42 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGal74 View Post
Do you mean the inner ring suburbs, or the latter neighborhoods in my list of city areas (ie. Lafayette Square, etc.)? Thank you so much!!
Clayton, Ladue, Kirkwood, .....

Old 10-22-2020, 12:22 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

We are thinking of making a move to the St. Louis CITY area, and are curious about the most suitable neighborhoods for us in the city (we enjoy taking walks with our dog, mixing with our neighbors, and LOVE looking at beautiful architecture). We have a middle school aged daughter that will need to go to (a good) school (but we are open to a 15 minute drive to a private school, if that is necessary). Could I ask some folks familiar with the city a bit about the culture, politics, values, and demographics (mainly if there would be kids my daughter's age around) of some neighborhoods?

We'd like to find a house built between the mid 1800s, to the 1920s. 2200-4000square feet, budget of up to 650k.

The areas we are currently researching are:

Shaw, Compton Heights (Hills?), Tower Grove South and East, the Central West End, Parkview in University City, and Lafayette Square.

I am open to an inner ring suburb, but haven't found the charm and architecture of those areas to match St. Louis City (and I'm not convinced the upcharge in real estate would cancel out private school costs for 1 child)... However, I am somewhat curious about: Clayton, Ladue, Kirkwood, etc.

TIA!!!
(we enjoy taking walks with our dog, mixing with our neighbors, and LOVE looking at beautiful architecture).

You can do that in the city or county. I'm a Kirkwood guy, which has a lot of great old houses, but I personally think nothing touches the big old homes of the City of St. Louis. But you have to deal with other stuff there. It's a very personal choice.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,644 times
You have a good list of city neighborhoods. You'll find the best value in Tower Grove East (basically rehabs have spilled into TGE as Shaw & TGS got more expensive). My best friend is looking to buy within these areas and the market is ridiculously hot.

I'm sure they exist but in my circle at least, there are far more families in the neighborhoods you named along Grand vs. the Central West End.

I'd go in with many school options in mind. The gifted magnet program is not guaranteed. Certain private schools tend to operate at capacity. There are definitely options, I'd just caution against being deadset on just one.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
You have a good list of city neighborhoods. You'll find the best value in Tower Grove East (basically rehabs have spilled into TGE as Shaw & TGS got more expensive). My best friend is looking to buy within these areas and the market is ridiculously hot.

I'm sure they exist but in my circle at least, there are far more families in the neighborhoods you named along Grand vs. the Central West End.

I'd go in with many school options in mind. The gifted magnet program is not guaranteed. Certain private schools tend to operate at capacity. There are definitely options, I'd just caution against being deadset on just one.
Thank you!! I was just thinking that I would need to have a plan A, and B and C for schools... So, this is validating (though an uncomfortable spot to be in) The gifted magnet, McKinley sounds like it is mainly a lottery (after passing the test). Hopefully they would honor the GT identification she got here. I also almost think I need to have the school picked out, before we would decide to buy (which puts us in a pickle). I'd hate to live in Compton Heights, and have to drive my daughter all the way over to John Burroughs or something (that is why I thought of the CWE, it's a little closer to the private schools that I can find info about). But, the CWE does seem like it would mainly be a place for DINKS and yuppies. There's just a few streets in there that look so lovely.

I'm wondering how hot is "ridiculously hot" when it comes to the real estate... Around here, things are often sold within 24 hours, with multiple bids. Is it that bad?

And, do you have any reommendations for schools (either private or public)?

Thank you again!!!!

Old 10-29-2020, 08:47 AM

201 posts, read 219,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post

I agree with billiken that the neighborhoods along Grand tend to have more families overall, but Central West End has become A LOT more family-oriented just in the last couple of years. There might not be as many kids your daughter's age, but I still wouldn't rule the area out.

Of the city areas you mentioned at the beginning of the thread, Tower Grove East would be the most dangerous. I believe there are a couple of pockets as you merge towards Compton Heights or South Grand that are fine, but I would talk to somebody that lives in the neighborhood first haha.

You should consider Benton Park also. It's a safe, walkable, family-friendly, dog-friendly neighborhood with some of the best architecture in the city! The area's rowhouses and dining options give it a real East Coast vibe. I'd love to raise a family there myself. It's my understanding that a lot of the parents in BP send their kids to St. Margaret of Scotland Catholic School in Shaw. Stay north of the neighborhood park, though.

As far as suburbs, have you given any thought to Maplewood? You might like that as well. The architecture's not quite as stunning as the other areas, but it's decent. You'd be close to Clayton, U. City and STL City anyway.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:16 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,644 times
Quote:
Thank you!! I was just thinking that I would need to have a plan A, and B and C for schools... So, this is validating (though an uncomfortable spot to be in) The gifted magnet, McKinley sounds like it is mainly a lottery (after passing the test). Hopefully they would honor the GT identification she got here. I also almost think I need to have the school picked out, before we would decide to buy (which puts us in a pickle). I'd hate to live in Compton Heights, and have to drive my daughter all the way over to John Burroughs or something (that is why I thought of the CWE, it's a little closer to the private schools that I can find info about). But, the CWE does seem like it would mainly be a place for DINKS and yuppies. There's just a few streets in there that look so lovely.

I'm wondering how hot is "ridiculously hot" when it comes to the real estate... Around here, things are often sold within 24 hours, with multiple bids. Is it that bad?

And, do you have any reommendations for schools (either private or public)?

Thank you again!!!!
1. I'm not sure on the transfer of the gifted status from another district. I know they don't accept gifted testing from outside or private agencies.

2. Yes, similar - stuff sells within a day, multiple offers, sometimes competing with all cash offers. I think my friend is up to 6 houses she's lost out on, everything from needing substantial rehab to move in ready.

3. Most of my friends have kids in younger grades, so I'm less familiar with the middle school situation. Of the 3 friends with older kids in city public schools, they are at McKinley which you mentioned and Lafayette Preparatory Academy (charter school).

Private schools - Catholic school is pretty popular in the city because it's cheaper than independent private schools. They all go through 8th grade (whereas many of the private schools are through grade 6). St Margaret of Scotland (Catholic) is far and away the most popular option in the part of the city you're looking at. It's definitely known as the more liberal of the Catholic schools. Many of my friends that have kids there are not Catholic. Because it's so popular, I don't know what the open spots look like - though there may be some, because I believe they are one of the few Catholic schools doing hybrid learning for older kids right now (most are 100% back).

I'm less personally familiar with the independent private middle schools because my kids and therefore friends are younger. MICDS and Burroughs are the big names that are not very far from the city. I have 1 friend with an older son at College School in Webster Groves. Most of the city independent schools like New City School seem to only go through 6th grade.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
I agree with billiken that the neighborhoods along Grand tend to have more families overall, but Central West End has become A LOT more family-oriented just in the last couple of years. There might not be as many kids your daughter's age, but I still wouldn't rule the area out.

Of the city areas you mentioned at the beginning of the thread, Tower Grove East would be the most dangerous. I believe there are a couple of pockets as you merge towards Compton Heights or South Grand that are fine, but I would talk to somebody that lives in the neighborhood first haha.

You should consider Benton Park also. It's a safe, walkable, family-friendly, dog-friendly neighborhood with some of the best architecture in the city! The area's rowhouses and dining options give it a real East Coast vibe. I'd love to raise a family there myself. It's my understanding that a lot of the parents in BP send their kids to St. Margaret of Scotland Catholic School in Shaw. Stay north of the neighborhood park, though.

As far as suburbs, have you given any thought to Maplewood? You might like that as well. The architecture's not quite as stunning as the other areas, but it's decent. You'd be close to Clayton, U. City and STL City anyway.
Thanks so much!! I actually had come across the Catholic school you mentioned (which we'd be open to), so that is good to hear. And, I have come across Benton Park as well, but thought maybe the crime was worse than other areas... It sounds like maybe I was wrong on that score. I'll take another look at Benton Park!

As far as Maplewood, I looked it up briefly, but was kind of underwhelmed with the architecture. But, I didn't look very closely, so I'll take another look!!

Thanks so much for sharing your insight on all this stuff-0I really appreciate it!

Old 10-30-2020, 06:28 PM

201 posts, read 219,733 times
You're welcome. Maybe we'll run into each other in CWE or BP in 2021!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis