Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 04:17 PM

55 posts, read 48,188 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are thinking of making a move to the St. Louis CITY area, and are curious about the most suitable neighborhoods for us in the city (we enjoy taking walks with our dog, mixing with our neighbors, and LOVE looking at beautiful architecture). We have a middle school aged daughter that will need to go to (a good) school (but we are open to a 15 minute drive to a private school, if that is necessary). Could I ask some folks familiar with the city a bit about the culture, politics, values, and demographics (mainly if there would be kids my daughter's age around) of some neighborhoods?

We'd like to find a house built between the mid 1800s, to the 1920s. 2200-4000square feet, budget of up to 650k.

The areas we are currently researching are:

Shaw, Compton Heights (Hills?), Tower Grove South and East, the Central West End, Parkview in University City, and Lafayette Square.

I am open to an inner ring suburb, but haven't found the charm and architecture of those areas to match St. Louis City (and I'm not convinced the upcharge in real estate would cancel out private school costs for 1 child)... However, I am somewhat curious about: Clayton, Ladue, Kirkwood, etc.

TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 04:43 PM

1,112 posts, read 886,691 times
The latter neighborhoods are nice and upscale. Start there.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:47 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,989,995 times
You have a very good start. Kirkwood will be a great fit for a suburban area with Webster Groves being a good alternative.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
The latter neighborhoods are nice and upscale. Start there.
Do you mean the inner ring suburbs, or the latter neighborhoods in my list of city areas (ie. Lafayette Square, etc.)? Thank you so much!!

Old 10-17-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You have a very good start. Kirkwood will be a great fit for a suburban area with Webster Groves being a good alternative.
Thanks so much!! Are there not many kids (adolescents) in the city, in the areas I mentioned nearer to downtown? I'll look up the suburban areas you mentioned!!

Old 10-18-2020, 08:56 AM

589 posts, read 1,109,468 times
I think Tower Grove South is a great place to start. Access to Tower Grover Park, and I think there is a stronger sense of neighborhood there. I was driving down Gustine the other day and noticed families in their yards. Try and stay closer to the northern section (closest to the park). I am not sure of the schools there.

I do love Lafayette Square, but that area is more expensive than Tower Grove South. I suspect the crime is lower in Lafayette Square?

Old 10-18-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
I think Tower Grove South is a great place to start. Access to Tower Grover Park, and I think there is a stronger sense of neighborhood there. I was driving down Gustine the other day and noticed families in their yards. Try and stay closer to the northern section (closest to the park). I am not sure of the schools there.

I do love Lafayette Square, but that area is more expensive than Tower Grove South. I suspect the crime is lower in Lafayette Square?
Hi STLMike!! Thanks so much for your thoughts!! I love the aesthetics of all those places, so figuring which one would have a better sense of community is very helpful in narrowing things down!! Thank you!

As it happens, I just came across some MORE neighborhoods in STL that look lovely. It seems that city is the city of 10,000 historic neighborhoods, with each one nicer than the last... Do you know anything about DaBeliviere, Skinker, Parkview, Ames or Wydown? I probably spelled some of those wrong... They are all in or around University City and to the north and west of the largest park. Those neighborhoods are showing lower crime statistics (according to Trulia), and would be closer to some of the private schools. However, I think McKinley (a public magnet school near Compton Heights) might also be a good fit for our 6th grader... I think we are just going to have to visit the city in a couple months, and rent a car for touring or something...

Best!!

Old 10-19-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGal74 View Post
I think we are just going to have to visit the city in a couple months, and rent a car for touring or something...
I think that is a fantastic idea. Many people under estimate the diverse urban landscape in St. Louis due to the visually underwhelming downtown and certain statistics. There is so much to choose from.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much!! Are there not many kids (adolescents) in the city, in the areas I mentioned nearer to downtown? I'll look up the suburban areas you mentioned!!
I agree with STLCityMike with Tower Grove. I've noticed more families downtown than ever. With that, Downtown isn't family friendly at this time. Downtown seems to be full of single professionals of all ages/demographics and DINKS.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:17 PM

589 posts, read 1,109,468 times
Quote:
Hi STLMike!! Thanks so much for your thoughts!! I love the aesthetics of all those places, so figuring which one would have a better sense of community is very helpful in narrowing things down!! Thank you!

As it happens, I just came across some MORE neighborhoods in STL that look lovely. It seems that city is the city of 10,000 historic neighborhoods, with each one nicer than the last... Do you know anything about DaBeliviere, Skinker, Parkview, Ames or Wydown? I probably spelled some of those wrong... They are all in or around University City and to the north and west of the largest park. Those neighborhoods are showing lower crime statistics (according to Trulia), and would be closer to some of the private schools. However, I think McKinley (a public magnet school near Compton Heights) might also be a good fit for our 6th grader... I think we are just going to have to visit the city in a couple months, and rent a car for touring or something...

Best!!
Yes, we have many, many lovely neighborhoods. A little bit of history for you in regards to DeBaliviere - in 1904 when we hosted the worlds fair, this are was developed primarily to house foreign nationals. Those are all great neighborhoods with some close access to public transportation and Forest Park. They are all central corridor neighborhoods, which is experiencing most of the growth in the city. (I am not familiar with Ames).

McKinley, if on Russell, I am very familiar with as it is close to where I live. The area in McKinely Heights, and is sandwiched between Soulard, Fox Park and Lafayette Square. The zip code is 63104 and personally one of my favorites due primarily to a very central location. I work downtown (but home for now) and most of my recreational activities are close by. 63104 also offers easy access to all highways to quick access to the metro area.

I may have said this in the thread before, I am not denying that crime is a concern and that its presence can alter your behavior, including having to make sure you are aware of your surroundings. And, sadly there are innocent victims. The statistics, however, I feel are scarier than the reality. There are many in the city going about their lives happily, and that is not measured anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis