Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 01:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried ordering groceries from local stores to be delivered to your home. and was it satisfactory? So far, I've only found the ones that use Shipt. Are there any others I could check out? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 10:01 AM

589 posts, read 1,107,242 times
I have ordered non perishable items from Amazon and haven't had any issues. A friend delivers for Instacart and one thing I do hear is that sometimes the store can be out of an items requested and they either skip it or work to determine if there is an applicable replacement?

I feel pretty strongly that COVID has forever changed consumer behavior - in most cases it sped up adoption of alternative channels and some of the new behaviors will change even though we may get past the COVID spread with preventative drugs / vaccines. Banking, bill pay, shopping, vehicle registration and more.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
I have ordered non perishable items from Amazon and haven't had any issues. A friend delivers for Instacart and one thing I do hear is that sometimes the store can be out of an items requested and they either skip it or work to determine if there is an applicable replacement?

I feel pretty strongly that COVID has forever changed consumer behavior - in most cases it sped up adoption of alternative channels and some of the new behaviors will change even though we may get past the COVID spread with preventative drugs / vaccines. Banking, bill pay, shopping, vehicle registration and more.

I am not sure it is Covid that is changing our behavior. I suspect a lot of it is businesses discovering ways to not do what they used to do. I could go to "I am so old that I remember ...." and post "when grocery stores did our shopping and delivering. Safeway? It all started with "assemble your own furniture".

Anyway, right. Non-perishables can come from Amazon; or, an idea: Sometimes I can order directly from the manufacturer or their distributor -- which is how I discovered the little town directly across the river from St Louis. Terrible! I can't even bring up its name right now but I'll know it when I hear it. Pretty much a warehouse type of town, I am told.

Instacart. I did not know that is a delivery service. I'll look into it. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:49 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I am not sure it is Covid that is changing our behavior. I suspect a lot of it is businesses discovering ways to not do what they used to do. I could go to "I am so old that I remember ...." and post "when grocery stores did our shopping and delivering. Safeway? It all started with "assemble your own furniture".

Anyway, right. Non-perishables can come from Amazon; or, an idea: Sometimes I can order directly from the manufacturer or their distributor -- which is how I discovered the little town directly across the river from St Louis. Terrible! I can't even bring up its name right now but I'll know it when I hear it. Pretty much a warehouse type of town, I am told.

Instacart. I did not know that is a delivery service. I'll look into it. Thank you.
Sorry, I live in St. Charles County, so I'm curious...across the river in Illinois, or across the river, in St. Charles County? Just curious.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Anyway...Walmart also has delivery.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sorry, I live in St. Charles County, so I'm curious...across the river in Illinois, or across the river, in St. Charles County? Just curious.

I am going to have to remember that we do have the MIssouri. Sorry about that. I meant across the Mississippi. There is a town over there that took a load of trash, etc., off Monsanto when Monsanto was denied permission to dump on this side. The little town is known for doing just that sort of thing. As one of its leaders said: The trash has to go somewhere. It seems to also be a shipping center for various companies. You know the kind I mean. There is usually one near most large cities. Much more to their history. Quite interesting. hazel

Old 12-07-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Anyway...Walmart also has delivery.

I don't know about all of them but our particular Walmart does not to its own deliveries. They use a company called Door-Dash. So whomever I called yesterday told me.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:03 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
I use Instacart most of the time, but we have a Shipt account for our business and I use it occasionally too.

To be honest, I've always hated grocery shopping, so I've been doing this for a lot longer than Covid. It's just nice now to not even have to answer the door. They just leave it and I get it after they leave I'm an introvert so this makes me happy.

I've also used Amazon to have Whole Foods delivered. I really love their chicken salads...

Old 12-08-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I use Instacart most of the time, but we have a Shipt account for our business and I use it occasionally too.

To be honest, I've always hated grocery shopping, so I've been doing this for a lot longer than Covid. It's just nice now to not even have to answer the door. They just leave it and I get it after they leave I'm an introvert so this makes me happy.

I've also used Amazon to have Whole Foods delivered. I really love their chicken salads...

Good morning. Being an introvert in this current "stay home" situation was being rather fun - until......

About your last sentence, are you talking the original Whole Foods or today's Whole Foods? The original Whole Foods kept me nourished. The current one? I went twice and gave it up. Not the same. I would do anything - almost - to find a store that shops and delivers its own products. Expensive, yes, but wasn't service better when Safeway or Whole Foods brought you what you asked for. You gave the delivery person a decent tip and settled in.

Then, there was Joe's. I'll never forget Joe's. But Joe was / is in K. C. and probably retired by now. If you know Denny's in Sappington, you know Joe's without ever meeting him. Great family stores, both closed now.

OK, I'll mind my manners this morning and not repeat my experience when I called Shipt - except to say I'd be $100 richer today if I believed the spiel that I got. Sorry, folks, my sainted mother used to fall for those come-ons. They make me run like a scared rabbit.

I have not yet gotten to Instacart. I'll do my best today. Thanks again for ideas. Please clarify the Amazon/Whole Food story. Thanks. Hazel

Old 12-08-2020, 08:13 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
Let me see if the link works...

https://www.amazon.com/alm/storefron...e-94d69fc501e6

I don't do it often, so it's been a while since I ordered Whole Foods Delivery, but I did get what I wanted, as long as it was in stock. I will only order from there if I want something specifically from their deli/pre-made section. Unfortunately, these days, things go out of stock often. The Whole Foods in Brentwood is a nightmare to me so it's nice to have someone else do it. Anyway, it was the same as Instacart or Shipt in that someone goes to the store and does your shopping for you.

Instacart I either get groceries from Schnucks or Fresh Thyme. You get a message anytime anything is out of stock and they will replace. If you don't like the replacement you can ask for something else. You just have to have your phone handy while they are shopping.

I will say, I'm not super picky about my produce, but that seems to be many people's biggest fear...letting someone else pick out their produce. It's always been fine...except for ONE time, I asked for 6 apples and got 6 BAGS of apples. We had apple pie, apple crisp, etc. for a few weeks, LOL. I mean, I love anything apple, so it was funny. It was right at the start of quarantine...what weird thing are you hoarding? Apparently, it was apples.

I absolutely remember Denny's. My Grandmother lived in Grantwood Village and we used to go there. Sad that it's gone. It brings me memories of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis