U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2021, 05:26 PM

721 posts, read 460,287 times

Advertisements

I lived in St Peters Missouri in the 1990s and I really loved living in St Louis but never could find a decent job. But I absolutely loved what Saint Louis metro had to offer. I always said that when I retired there was a good chance I would buy or rent a condo in downtown St Louis (near the Cardinals). I don't have much desire to live in St Peters or St Charles as I'm too much into wanting to to be near entertainment and downtown vibe.

Now fast forward I'm just about 1-3 years away. I'm SWM in mid 50s.

I'm just interested to see if anyone has any comments about my deliberation, if you will. I can live almost anywhere, fortunately.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 07:54 PM

6,053 posts, read 6,897,167 times
I am looking forward to my retirement years as well and really like living in DT St Louis.

Depending on housing preferences, you may need to open to areas to the south and west like Lafayette Square The Gate District and even the Central West End.

Walkability, access to transit, top rated Healthcare and just an active lifestyle is very appealing. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:56 AM

11,675 posts, read 4,606,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
I lived in St Peters Missouri in the 1990s and I really loved living in St Louis but never could find a decent job. But I absolutely loved what Saint Louis metro had to offer. I always said that when I retired there was a good chance I would buy or rent a condo in downtown St Louis (near the Cardinals). I don't have much desire to live in St Peters or St Charles as I'm too much into wanting to to be near entertainment and downtown vibe.

I'm just interested to see if anyone has any comments about my deliberation, if you will. I can live almost anywhere, fortunately.

I think downtown has a LOT to offer, in the ways of entertainment and culture. My husband and I kind of half heartedly talked about getting a loft back in the day, but our son was still in school, and in a good school district already...so we put that idea to rest. I'm a little envious of you. LOL

Old 02-05-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am looking forward to my retirement years as well and really like living in DT St Louis.

Depending on housing preferences, you may need to open to areas to the south and west like Lafayette Square The Gate District and even the Central West End.

Walkability, access to transit, top rated Healthcare and just an active lifestyle is very appealing. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for this advice. I always forget about the CWE. And you are correct about the healthcare. Walkability is a major thing to.

Saint Peters was OK, but there is no way I want to live in the suburbs in my later life.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think downtown has a LOT to offer, in the ways of entertainment and culture. My husband and I kind of half heartedly talked about getting a loft back in the day, but our son was still in school, and in a good school district already...so we put that idea to rest. I'm a little envious of you. LOL
Old age and retirement creeps up on you. I said many years ago I would possibly retire in St Louis and it's just a few years away. I just hope the world is back to normal in 2-4 years.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:51 AM

And just to add, if I was in my 60s I probably would stay where I am (Alabama). But if I retire 57-59 I've still got some major time to have fun.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:32 AM

6,053 posts, read 6,897,167 times
Quote:
And just to add, if I was in my 60s I probably would stay where I am (Alabama). But if I retire 57-59 I've still got some major time to have fun.
I know of many who have fun into their mid to late 70s. (depending on health and mobility)

Old 02-08-2021, 08:39 PM

367 posts, read 544,988 times
Quote:

I would also look in Lafayette Square

- Real close to downtown, A friend lived there and we would park at his house and walk to baseball games

- Condos - but also row homes with practically no yard to take care of

- Strong neighborhood identity - not sure about downtown, but lots of residents of the square are dialed into the neighborhood, my friend was there for six years and still heads over to the neighborhood for parties, vintage baseball etc...

- A little more "adult" - downtown is a real mix but probably is a little more appealing to younger people, LS is probably a little more accommodating for those of us who do not see 3 am closing times anymore

- Great park - The actual square is awesome, well maintained and at the center of the neighborhood

- Local bars/restaurants - great bars and restaurants, my friend knew all the bartenders at Square One Brewery, walking in there was like a Cheers episode

Old 02-11-2021, 10:20 AM

189 posts, read 138,843 times
Quote:
Thanks for this advice. I always forget about the CWE. And you are correct about the healthcare. Walkability is a major thing to.

Saint Peters was OK, but there is no way I want to live in the suburbs in my later life.
I'd strongly recommend Central West End over Downtown. It's safer and less of a hassle than living Downtown, and you'll definitely enjoy the walkability of the area. There are a lot of retirees living on McPherson Avenue I believe. I guess you could consider Midtown as well, but that might not be as strong for public transit and a retiree community.

Last edited by Metal To The Core; 02-11-2021 at 10:30 AM..

Old Today, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the rest of these comments. All very interesting and helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis