U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 11:16 AM

40,554 posts, read 36,391,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I have seen several in the Ozarks but scorpions are, to me, a bigger worry because they react faster and their sting is deadly. But, no, I've never seen one this far north. Could be out in the woods. Like black bears - let them alone and they'll let you alone. You might try googling Missouri Conservationist and ask your question there. You'll probably get a good article about them.
The bark scorpion is the only deadly one to humans in the US and it's found mostly in the deserts of AZ, NM and NV. I'm glad we don't have them at the coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 11:32 AM

3,142 posts, read 3,353,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The bark scorpion is the only deadly one to humans in the US and it's found mostly in the deserts of AZ, NM and NV. I'm glad we don't have them at the coast.

I did not know that. I was once washing some old canning jars and brought up a white scorpion from the dish water. Someone said I was lucky it had not stung me as their sting was deadly. My sister once let out a scream. Dad came running to find her staring at a large tarantula dragging a dead wasp across the screen door (outside, thank goodness). That, of course, was in the Ozarks, not up here.

As I said, ask Missouri Conservationists. They know everything about Missouri wildlife. In my opinion, anyway.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:47 AM

11,687 posts, read 4,619,387 times
Missouri Conservationist puts out a monthly (I think) magazine, that's really interesting. To me, anyway.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Missouri Conservationist puts out a monthly (I think) magazine, that's really interesting. To me, anyway.

One of the best in the nation. Great articles and gorgeous photographs by real professionals. And it is free if you live within the state. :-)

Old 02-16-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
One of the best in the nation. Great articles and gorgeous photographs by real professionals. And it is free if you live within the state. :-)

We used to get it. I'm not sure why we don't anymore...

Old 02-16-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
We used to get it. I'm not sure why we don't anymore...

Maybe they had one of those months when they asked you to reconfirm and you missed it. Same thing happens to me. But you can go to their web site and ask them to reinstate you.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe they had one of those months when they asked you to reconfirm and you missed it. Same thing happens to me. But you can go to their web site and ask them to reinstate you.

I think I'll do that right now. :-)

Old 02-18-2021, 09:08 AM

3,712 posts, read 2,683,421 times
We get that magazine as well as the kids' version.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
We get that magazine as well as the kids' version.

I lucked into a copy of the children's version just this month, left behind by a family that had moved long ago. The magazine is still coming. Wherever they are, they need to do a change of address. Anyway, it is great - as well written and as enjoyable as the adult version. No talking down to the children. Very scholarly.

Old Today, 08:55 PM

9 posts, read 2,740 times
Thank you everybody! I’m from western IL, so the spiders mentioned we have here. Tarantulas just freak me out. A lot. Nightmare worthy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis