Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 01:45 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a family of 4 and currently live in the NW STL area. We currently own a home there but are looking at purchasing some land about 1-2hrs away from the STL area that we can go to for long weekends /getaways. The goal is to build some kind of small house/cabin/barndominium/etc with some room to breathe. Maybe 5-10ac.

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas/towns that meet the following criteria?
  • South/SouthEast/SouthWest of STL
  • farmland/open-spaces/pasture-land , not heavily wooded
  • anywhere from 1-2hrs from STL city
  • We drive down to Texas about once a quarter and take highway 44. Perhaps something along that route would be great.

Just in exploratory stage right now and need help with suggestions on areas we should be looking at. Thanks!

Last edited by doss1; 04-06-2021 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 10:59 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Hi,
We are a family of 4 and currently live in the NW STL area. We currently own a home there but are looking at purchasing some land about 1-2hrs away from the STL area that we can go to for long weekends /getaways. The goal is to build some kind of small house/cabin/barndominium/etc with some room to breathe. Maybe 5-10ac.

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas/towns that meet the following criteria?
  • We drive down to Texas about once a quarter and take highway 44. Perhaps something along that route would be great.

Just in exploratory stage right now and need help with suggestions on areas we should be looking at. Thanks!
Well, get on realtor.com or some other website and search property/land available down that 44 corridor.

Rolla is about 2 hours out. Depending on the budget and what you want, you'll find plenty of options. Franklin County, parts of Jefferson County will be in that vicinity closer to STL, then Crawford and Phelps counties as you get farther out.

I do think you can find not heavily wooded plots with acres of pasture.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:19 AM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
I'm not sure what part of Texas you are driving to, but I-44 is faster for Dallas and US 67 is faster for Houston.

Around I-44, I would aim for either...

St. James, because it's close to Rolla and 44, but far enough away from Rolla to avoid the uni kids.

Or Steelville, if you want to be a slight distance from the highway and little more secluded.

Around 67, I would aim for anything near the Arcadia Valley. Really beautiful area. Belleview, Ironton, etc.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Gasconade County would be my choice. It is pretty country and has things to do. It might be 20 minutes farther away depending on how you get there. Highway 50 (from I-44) or highway 100 (Manchester). I-70 might be long and tedious but you can take highway 19 south from New Florence. Highway 94 west from Weldon Spring will be an interesting drive. You can even take Amtrak to Hermann. KATY Trail, too, if you like bicycles.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:17 PM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
Others who have already posted I'm sure know outlying area better than I do. A friend of mine, though, FYI bought some farmland in Potosi, MO to have a weekend get-a-way area where her large extended family could gather. The land has a cool stream going thru it where the whole extended family and the teens in particular really enjoy tubing. The first thing she built on the property was a large picnic shelter. She and her husband lease out most of the farmland as they primarily use the land for doing picnics and get togethers. She comes from a family of 18 and many of her siblings have kids (big group). I think her property is lovely and peaceful. From where we live in St. Louis county it's about an hour and 20 minute drive. Just mentioning this in case it's an area you might want to check out. Potosi is in Washington County. It's sort of southwest of the city, but not as far southwest as 44 (looks like a pretty quick drive to get onto 44 though). I can't compare this to other outlying areas, as I just have this one St. Louis area friend who has a rural weekend property that I've been out to numerous times and don't do a lot of weekend get-a-ways. I'll leave comparison / contrast to other posters.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
Hi,

We have a lake lot at a place called Woodland Lakes, located about 20 minutes from Sullivan, MO. It might just be your cup of tea. There are camping lots, multi-purpose lots, and building lots. Several lakes to swim and fish from, plus they have a pool.
Woodland Lakes

woodlandlakestrusteeship.com
12 Woodland Lks, Sullivan, MO 63080 · ~50.6 mi
(573) 468-6505

Old 04-26-2021, 09:09 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
Others who have already posted I'm sure know outlying area better than I do. A friend of mine, though, FYI bought some farmland in Potosi, MO to have a weekend get-a-way area where her large extended family could gather. The land has a cool stream going thru it where the whole extended family and the teens in particular really enjoy tubing. The first thing she built on the property was a large picnic shelter. She and her husband lease out most of the farmland as they primarily use the land for doing picnics and get togethers. She comes from a family of 18 and many of her siblings have kids (big group). I think her property is lovely and peaceful. From where we live in St. Louis county it's about an hour and 20 minute drive. Just mentioning this in case it's an area you might want to check out. Potosi is in Washington County. It's sort of southwest of the city, but not as far southwest as 44 (looks like a pretty quick drive to get onto 44 though). I can't compare this to other outlying areas, as I just have this one St. Louis area friend who has a rural weekend property that I've been out to numerous times and don't do a lot of weekend get-a-ways. I'll leave comparison / contrast to other posters.
I think that is a good area and good suggestion. My wife and I looked at a property there and you are getting down into the Ozarks, it had a year-round spring-fed stream and a spring fed pond.

Quite nice, and the price per acre is cheaper because (I assume) the land is more rocky and less suited for agricultural purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis