U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2021, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,134 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in the St. Louis area. We currently live in Northern Virginia suburbs of D.C. (out in the Gainesville/Haymarket area). We're looking for something comparable out there. Here's our wish list for a neighborhood:

1. Good schools (our kids are in elementary school currently, but we want a good middle and high school because we plan to stay)
2. Mature trees or woods
3. Someplace you can find 4-5 bedroom houses between the $300,000 - $500,000
4. Houses that aren't right on top of each other
5. Somewhere that should be a good place to stay for many years to come (i.e., not an area that seems to be getting worse or is starting to have problems)

We don't care about commute - nothing can be worse than what we have here. So, it's okay if it's a bit further out. We'll consider both the Missouri and Illinois sides.

Can anyone recommend anything like this? I'll be doing some research, but it always helps to ask locals.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 05:45 PM

7,314 posts, read 6,076,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restless_writer View Post
My husband just got a job in the St. Louis area. We currently live in Northern Virginia suburbs of D.C. (out in the Gainesville/Haymarket area). We're looking for something comparable out there. Here's our wish list for a neighborhood:

1. Good schools (our kids are in elementary school currently, but we want a good middle and high school because we plan to stay)
2. Mature trees or woods
5. Somewhere that should be a good place to stay for many years to come (i.e., not an area that seems to be getting worse or is starting to have problems)

We don't care about commute - nothing can be worse than what we have here. So, it's okay if it's a bit further out. We'll consider both the Missouri and Illinois sides.

Can anyone recommend anything like this? I'll be doing some research, but it always helps to ask locals.

Thank you!
I'd focus on school districts assuming you are interested in public schools.

Parkway Schools

In St. Louis County, the Parkway District is very large but many parts of it might work for you. This would be areas like Chesterfield, Ballwin, Manchester, Ellisville, etc.

Kirkwood Schools

Kirkwood.

Lindbergh Schools

Crestwood, Sunset Hills

Rockwood

Eureka, Fenton, parts of far west St. Louis County.

Much of St. Charles County would fit the bill too from a school district perspective, and even today you get a little more house for the money.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:10 PM

586 posts, read 498,589 times
In St. Louis County: If you're looking at a map, circle the area west of 270, between 44 and 64. It'll include Wildwood, Chesterfield, Ellisville, Eureka, and several more burbs. They all have what you are looking for. Really pretty area on the western fringe of StL.

In St. Charles County: Weldon Spring, Defiance, and New Melle are all leafy and more spread out. Semi rural suburbs. The area along MO 94 (south of 64) is beautiful.

In Illinois: Monroe County, including Columbia and Waterloo. New Hanover is my favorite area there, atop the bluffs. The entire county is pleasant and well-off, and has none of the suburban rat race vibe.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,134 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. This information is incredibly helpful!

Old 05-26-2021, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 98 times
Default Back in St. Louis from DC Life

where did you end up? I would have offered other options, but curious how you settled in.

Old Today, 05:04 PM

1,949 posts, read 1,339,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restless_writer View Post

2. Mature trees or woods

Thank you!

IL is a horrible state ran by Democraps just like the state of VA has been ruined by Democrats and the swamp in DC.

Missouri is much better. Controlled by super majorities in both houses, Trump wins huge, lower taxs, excellent gun laws compared to IL and VA. In Missouri you can carry a gun without a permit concealed or openly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis