Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 04:18 PM

30 posts, read 56,617 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I went to St. Louis in 2017 and enjoyed it. I even considered moving there at the time, but for various reasons, that did not happen. Now I work from home, so I can live basically anywhere, and am reconsidering living in the metropolitan area, so I thought I'd travel there for 5-7 days to explore the area. I do know a good deal about the city from going there and from doing reading about the area, but I did have some questions:
  1. What areas of the metro area should I avoid? I know north of Delmar in the city proper isn't safe, but beyond that I don't know what areas are unsafe.
  2. Politically, what areas are more conservative versus more liberal? I'm aware that the city of St. Louis leans to the left, but I'm not familiar with the suburbs.
  3. What areas would you recommend I go see, both in the city limits and beyond? When I went in 2017 I mainly saw Downtown, Downtown West and Forest Park
Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 08:46 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,242 times
Well, I am not sure what you are looking for. Some of the best attributes of the city proper are the amazing neighborhoods and beautiful parks. Most of these in in the central corridor - downtown and west.

1. Neighborhoods: Soulard, Benton Park, Lafayette Square, South Grand / Tower Grove, the Central West End, Debaliviere
2. Parks - Tower Grove Park, Forest Park but I also love Lafayette Square Park and Benton Park

Other highlights could be Cherokee Street, the Delmar Loop and the Grove, which is really blossoming right now.

In the city, you will want to use your street smarts. Crime exists, and things CAN happen but the media also makes it seem worse than it is, and those who live in the county, or exburbs, use the media as their experience. Don't leave valuables in sight. Park in well lit areas. Be aware of things around you - stuff like that. North City does have more of the crime, and there are some pocket areas in South City too. North County has more crime than West and South County.

I get a little caught up with labels of liberal and conservative as I tend to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. In general, the further you would move from the city the more conservative it should be. Jefferson County in the south is probably the most conservative? Then St. Charles? Then St. Louis County with the city the most liberal? Missouri today is a red state ever though the city and majority of the county are blue.

My favorite suburbs are Webster Groves (home of Webster University and a neat area), Kirkwood (the first planned suburb and a nice downtown, Maplewood / Richmond Heights / Clayton for some nice density and shopping. St Charles is nice too. Main Street is historic and they are working on building up their riverfront.

This area is in north county, but I have read about it some on here and am now seeing others post on Facebook. I have never really been - Pasadena Hills. I am hearing beautiful, historic homes with a low price tag (due in part to the areas around it?

If I knew more about you, what you like, some of your interests I may be able to offer more.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Might want to consider parts of Illinois too. Alton is a neat town, as well as Grafton. You can take the Chain of Rocks bridge in to Alton, and then travel down Hwy 3 (I think that's the hwy) that travels along the Mississippi. It's a pretty drive. And if you go to Alton, you should check out Fast Eddie's.

You say you went to Forest Park...did you go to the zoo? Art Museum, Science Museum, etc.? They're all first rate.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:17 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
One thing I love about the size of St Louis is there are many ways to live here.

St. Louis isn't overwhelmingly political. People don't care about your politics for the most part. As long as one isn't disrespectful, it shouldn't be an issue regardless of where you live.

Do you prefer urban or suburban living? What amenities are a must within close proximity. Older or newer construction or rental vs purchase and budget will help to pin down area.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:05 AM

201 posts, read 219,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
Well, I am not sure what you are looking for. Some of the best attributes of the city proper are the amazing neighborhoods and beautiful parks. Most of these in in the central corridor - downtown and west.

1. Neighborhoods: Soulard, Benton Park, Lafayette Square, South Grand / Tower Grove, the Central West End, Debaliviere
2. Parks - Tower Grove Park, Forest Park but I also love Lafayette Square Park and Benton Park

Other highlights could be Cherokee Street, the Delmar Loop and the Grove, which is really blossoming right now.
All of these city neighborhoods are great, and I would also add STL's legendary Little Italy district, The Hill, to the list. You gave a nice choice of parks as well (although I think Tower Grove Park is overrated compared to the others you mentioned) and I would also include Carondelet Park, Compton Hill Reservoir Park, Shaw Park, and Creve Coeur Lake Memorial Park. I feel that some of the best suburbs are St. Charles (specifically downtown), Maplewood, and Alton. I've never been to Pasadena Hills either.

1837 - As far as safety on the south side of the city, Cherokee Street is definitely a point where it's getting dicey, but you should be fine during the daytime if you be street smart. Pretty much anything directly south of Cherokee feels unsafe overall. Carondelet Park is right between a safe neighborhood (Holly Hills) and a bad neighborhood (Carondelet), so keep that in mind. The southwestern part of the city is safer overall, but also not as charming IMO.

Would be glad to provide any additional suggestions/information. I really think you'll enjoy your visit!

Old 03-19-2021, 03:56 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,242 times
I do seem to miss the Hill when mentioning neighborhoods - I agree that it IS a great one. Thanks for adding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis