Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,902 times

Advertisements

Im 42 year old grandmother, a recovered heroin addict. I think that first sentence states it all, I have a regretful passed. but as stated before, I am a grandmother now, i have a great relationship with my daughter, who would have nothing to do with me if i was still using. I have 5 years clean, Im in a great relationship with a wonderful man. We are looking for a house and no one will rent to us because of my past. That is not me anymore, why cant i make anyone understand that. I am at a loss as to what to do, anxiety stricken. My fiance could live anywhere, but with me not so much. Why is it so hard for people to be judge free and see me for who I am today not when I was 25. I have met so many landlords and paid so many application fees only to be denied. What do I do to get some peace of mind and find a home for us to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 12:32 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Not alot to go on - tell us why you were denied? Certainly it's not because of your past drug use, maybe because of criminal history?
If I understand it, a landlord can only ask about certain convictions - not drug use, but drug manufacturing or dealing, robbery, arson, assault, etc. Review HUD/Fair Housing Act guidelines, maybe it can help.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:08 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
How’s your credit? Prior rental history? Do you have a record of being evicted?

Old 04-12-2021, 04:32 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Sorry about your situation that’s tough but don’t give up keep trying. Maybe only use the significant other’s background and financials?

Old 04-23-2021, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,902 times
I stated it's because of my past convictions, drug paraphernalia and drug possession. I also have child endangerment. Because, one night at my home I hit a neighbor, he called the police, I was drunk the kids were in bed, they said I couldn't take care of my kids in the event of an emergency. I've excepted responsibility but, my kids were in no danger, I wasn't home alone and there were sober people there. But, they charged me with child endangerment. No one listens though, they see all that and they are judge jury and executioner all in one.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 995 times
Lightbulb Hey there, I recently answered a question on Reddit and I think that the info could help you also:

**Sorry so long, just want to give as much help as possible**[*]Try looking in to HUD housing, even if they have nothing available now, you can get on a waiting list. You can go to their website and look by state. If you do find a HUD place, don't just call and leave a message, keep on it.[*]Do some research on re-entry programs online. They help mostly parolees, but it is a program for ex-offenders, which is what you technically are.[*]Look for small time landlords with one or few properties. I would say the best place would be Craigslist, followed by rental sites like Zillow, Rent.com etc. Try to avoid large complexes~ they are a lot more likely to do background checks. With small landlords even if they want a background check, you have the option to tell them about your past beforehand and explain. Don't forget to just ask around too.[*]Find an apartment or housing expert. DON'T pay for one either. There are people who specialize in finding people like you housing, and they get a kickback from the place you wind up renting. Find them by Googling "housing or apartment expert " and call them.[*]Look into extended stays, Airbnb, FlipKey, Tripping.com ect. I have heard that some of these companies don't check backgrounds at all.[*]Subletting ~ there are many people that need to get out of their current lease and I haven't heard yet of anyone getting their background checked. It is a more temporary option, but it will help get you into a place on such short notice.[*]Lie ~ when you're in a situation and you need a place soon, this is always an option, but personally I would stick with being honest. Even if they turn you down because or your record, be nice and thank them. They may call you later on if they don't find anyone. Keep in mind that the tighter a property's budget, the less likely the will do a background check. It can help you out by paying attention to minor details. Remember, people can (and some do) take your background fee, pocket it, skip the background check, and then turn you down anyway. I've heard of even large complexes accused of doing this.[*]This last one is not ideal, but your fiance isn't able to get a place just based on his or her income, it might be your only other option. Find someone who can pass a background check, and rent the apartment in place of you on the application. The larger the complex, the less likely they would find out it was you who was living there. I would only decide to do this only if it really came down to it though.[/list]Hope these can help ya out and you get in to a place with little trouble. I had to wait until after probation, and get some BS charge taken off my record before I could get my own place again. Thank god that I didn't have drug charges along with it - and with how I was at one point in my life, I am very surprised I never caught charges. I wish I had known about all the above then, but you live and learn. At least I got to share this stuff with some people who might use it instead of it just being useless knowledge taking up space. Last but not least, CONGRATS on your sobriety. Heroin is so hard to get away from. I got off Fentanyl a few years ago and all the people I knew that were using are either still using or dead. So again, congratulations. You be proud of your accomplishments and don't focus on your issues of the past. If you are going to meetings still you could also ask others there if they know someone that is a landlord. If you can find a landlord that has a relative in recovery, you have a lot bigger chance of them letting you rent. Good luck~

Old 06-13-2021, 08:46 PM

17 posts, read 14,415 times
Look into criminal expungement. You can get 1 felony (certain restrictions apply) and up to 2 misdemeanors wiped clean off your record if you've kept your nose clean for a certain period of time. Google it!
And, like the previous poster said, sticking with smaller, mom and pop type landlords, for example, renting an ADU may be easier than renting through something corporate run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis