Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:08 PM

362 posts, read 1,848,665 times

Advertisements

I do like the fact that South County doesn't have crime, but for a young person like myself, it doesn't have a whole lot going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 PM

60 posts, read 373,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
I do like the fact that South County doesn't have crime, but for a young person like myself, it doesn't have a whole lot going on.
How old are you??? Im only 29 so I can understand that if your like 18 19 yrs old. I was annoyed with Oakville growing up as well because there wasnt much to do, thats why we would go to friends houses and drink and party! But now as a Parent I LOVE the fact that theres not much to do, that way the crime stays away and I can feel more comfortable raising my Children here! I wouldnt go anywhere other then South County or Jefferson County to raise my children! West County is to snobby and North County there is WAY to much Crime and crap going on same with the City!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:16 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,751,225 times
So on a map, what is considered South County?

Went to the South County mall yesterday. From CWE, I drove down KingsHighway, Groives (sp?), Tessin Ferry, and Lindbergh to get there. Was I in "South County"?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
So on a map, what is considered South County?

Went to the South County mall yesterday. From CWE, I drove down KingsHighway, Groives (sp?), Tessin Ferry, and Lindbergh to get there. Was I in "South County"?
Kingshighway is the City parts of Gravios is in the City and parts of it are in South County but Tesson Ferry and Lindbergh are both in South County.

South County is Oakville, Mehlville, Lemay, Affton, St George, Bella Villa parts of Fenton, Crestwood, Sunset Hills...I have always considered Kirkwood to be part of South County as well...its not a debate...though so I really dont care what others say about it!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
And Kirkwood/Webster Groves are definitely not South County. Those two communities are actually interesting and offer things to do for their residents/visitors.
So what is so instresting about Kirkwood/Webster Groves area that the rest of South County area doesnt have??? Downtown Kirkwood with shops??? Because there are 1000's of shops in South County...South County Mall for one...Kirkwood Mall where is that???

Old 05-19-2008, 01:49 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,221,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manders378 View Post
West County is to snobby
LOL

Builders are building quite a few subdivisions with homes priced between $750,000 - $1,000,000 in your neck of the woods.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,755,215 times
Manders, you won't get far here with the attitude that West County is snobby, or the city and North County are crime-infested and a bad place to raise a family.

How a family is raised depends mostly on the family, not the area. The city can be fine to raise kids. Find a good private (or charter or magnet) school. Then, everything is right there nearby, especially if you work in the city. You don't have to pay for gas, and if you wanted to go to a ball game or the City Museum you could drive, or maybe take a bus or you could (gasp!) ride the MetroLink.

I'm sure you're a nice person, Manders, but please remember that South County isn't the only nice part of the area. It's nice. For me, being 18, I would probably find it boring, but for raising kids it's fine. But to discount West County as "snobby" or the city as too dangerous to raise children can be seen as close-minded.

Anyway, please, everyone keep an open-mind. And before you stick your foot in your mouth, know what your talking about, or at least act enough like you do.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:08 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,714,925 times
Quote:
So what is so instresting about Kirkwood/Webster Groves area that the rest of South County area doesnt have??? Downtown Kirkwood with shops??? Because there are 1000's of shops in South County...South County Mall for one...Kirkwood Mall where is that???
Generally Kirkwood and Webster Groves look and feel like historic small towns, which they are. They have discrete downtowns, and old Victorian homes. The original towns were built on a scale that people could walk from place to place, and the architecture is generally more interesting than your standard subdivision home. A lot of the rest of South County was developed at a later date, and thus tend to have more subdivisions and strip malls, which aren't unique or interesting.

Both areas certainly have shops, but the experience of walking around the downtown and college areas of Webster Groves is a much more interesting experience than driving from strip mall to strip mall in South County. Malls themselves aren't generally unique or interesting, since most malls have the same stores selling the same stuff as the next mall over.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:49 PM

362 posts, read 1,848,665 times
Quote:
Wow, you really get offended when someone puts South County down, don't you?

Yes, South County has a mall, whoop-de-do. Kirkwood and Webster Groves are two very wonderful small towns that have loads of charm, lots of things to do. It always seems like there's some kind of festival in downtown Kirkwood, and Webster has the university, which offers lots of cultural activities. You can walk around downtown, eat at nice resturaunts, drive through historic neighborhoods, etc. In south county, you can...let's see, fight Lindbergh traffic to get to South County Mall so you can shop in the exact same shops that you could shop in anywhere else in the country, you can go to the grocery store, drive around subdivisions with their identical plastic homes, exciting stuff. I'm glad you like it here, but it's definitely not for everyone. And I'm 18, by the way.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
LOL

Builders are building quite a few subdivisions with homes priced between $750,000 - $1,000,000 in your neck of the woods.
Dam Skippy! An they are GOREGOUS Houses too! I hope to live in one some day!

Last edited by Manders378; 05-20-2008 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis