Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 08:21 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP 270 View Post
Saw Illinois has lower income tax than Missouri. I'm thinking it would be smart to live on the Illinois side of the Mississippi? Thoughts.
Gas is a lot higher in Illinois. But Alton is a neat town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 11:11 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Illinois realestate taxes are considerably higher, however they don’t tax personal property…so, you could go with a small home, and as many cars, motorcycles, boats as you like…Missouri will tax you on each of those listed items. You will also notice that the price of homes is less in Illinois than Missouri, likely as a result of the taxes and how they affect the market.

Alton is one of my favorite towns near St. Louis…i also consider it the town with the most wasted potential around St. Louis. It could literally be an amazing destination city, the houses have so much character, as do the bluffs that look over the river. The views are amazing from homes on the bluffs. There are some gorgeous historic mansions that can be had for a true bargain of a price…and next door is a mansion in complete disrepair, or one that’s been divided into a multi-family unit where people aren’t working and on government assistance (I’m not ragging on people needing help, but noting that this doesn’t help property prices or neighborhood cohesion).

I always recommend Kirkwood, and Webster Groves as my favorite areas of St. Louis. The area around Old Town St. Charles is also good, and there are some amazing homes in that market as well. There’s NewTown if you want to live like the Truman show…some good homes, new construction, and it’s self contained…have stuff to walk to, parks, lakes, etc….

Other than the humidity, i do agree, you’ll likely St. Louis. It’s plenty safe for the average resident, housing market is semi-affordable, and there’s quite a bit of diversity around. The women, meh….(no offense ladies). I’m not sure what the dating scene looks like, as I’m long since married….but…imagine it looks similar to other parts of the country.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:58 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Will you be able to keep your $130K paycheck in St Louis? This sort of salary is common and easy to get in places like Boston or NYC as long as you have a pulse but you’d need to be much higher up the food chain in St Louis.

Old 11-28-2022, 08:27 AM

54 posts, read 80,149 times
Does anyone know where I can find day laborers in St. Louis? In other cities, I can go to the local home Depot and find folks looking for work hanging around in the parking lot. I'm going to need help moving my stuff into my apartment.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:43 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find day laborers in St. Louis? In other cities, I can go to the local home Depot and find folks looking for work hanging around in the parking lot. I'm going to need help moving my stuff into my apartment.
Hire a helper is good.

Old 12-06-2022, 02:22 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Quote:
Where'd you choose to move to?

Old 12-06-2022, 02:35 PM

54 posts, read 80,149 times
Olivette

Old 12-09-2022, 05:12 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Olivette
Great choice.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:21 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Hire a helper is good.
Two Men and a Truck
https://twomenandatruck.com/movers/m...SAAEgIs8fD_BwE

Old 12-27-2022, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 67,777 times
At the risk of getting trolled by STL natives, I'm going to be very honest with you here.
Moving from Dallas to STL is certainly a downgrade. Housing is cheaper and traffic is less dense than other places for a reason. STL is a stagnant city with many companies flocking out, and there are plenty of discussions about it online even on LinkedIn.

If you're looking for a 4-season middle America place to love with good transportation, food, diversity etc. then I recommend the following:
Greater Chicago area: Aurora, Naperville, or northern suburbs. Traffic is horrific though.
If Atlanta and Raleigh are not too east for you, those would be my first choices. These two cities have a lot of energy, growth, and positive vibe.
If you like mountains and unique energy, then look into Denver and its surrounding areas.

To meet single people, I recommend using matchmaking apps or connecting via meetups or your religious gathering (except Tinder, don't use Tinder!).

Quote:
Hello.

My main questions:

1) Will St. Louis be what I'm looking for. If not, where should I move to? I work from home so I can go anywhere in the continental US. I want to stay somewhat close to the middle of the North American continent.

2) If St. Louis is it, where in the metro should I consider looking for an apartment and eventually a house?

3) Do you know any beautiful single ladies of healthy weight with no more than 2 kids? Please provide contact info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis