Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 11:29 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times

Advertisements

Definitely horrific traffic in Chicago as you mentioned - and Atlanta as well.

There's been some exits by larger companies in the area in recent years, but more so than that has been international acquisitions. (Purina - albeit years upon years ago now, AB/Budweiser, Monsanto. With occasional rumbles of Centene setting up shop somewhere else as well).

Think Atlanta would give the most serious "similarities" in terms of seasonal climates, Chicago is obviously very cold for months upon months out of the year...I personally find it miserable after about October, and only becoming pleasant again around May...Raleigh has a more tame climate, although not sure how much hurricane season affects them annually. Still equally unpleasant during the summer (not Texas unpleasant - but equally less than enjoyable).

Dunno, i'm here because my family is from here and have been here for years. I'd definitely choose Denver over St. Louis in a heartbeat. Maybe Atlanta....Chicago only if i wanted a big city - but the prices for realestate are insane for what you get. Denver is insanely overpriced as well, but at least i'd get mountains out of the deal. Not a huge fan of Dallas (spend quite a bit of time there w/ work)...Anyway- wherever a person settles in, hope they can find what they need to be happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 12:45 PM

54 posts, read 80,080 times
I ended up going to Minneapolis MN; I'm thinking about moving to Chicago in July. Not enough diversity in the twin cities; like Dallas, I don't think I like it here enough to buy a house.

The search continues. Thanks everyone for your input this far

Old 12-29-2022, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP 270 View Post
I ended up going to Minneapolis MN; I'm thinking about moving to Chicago in July. Not enough diversity in the twin cities; like Dallas, I don't think I like it here enough to buy a house.

Too bad, I knew a healthy beautiful woman with 2 kids that was ready and willing.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:08 PM

54 posts, read 80,080 times
Now you tell me

Old 12-30-2022, 05:56 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:

I had a robust dating life in Chicago that was far greater than any other place. Chicago is incredibly segregated! I also encountered more confrontational and systemic racism during my stay in Chicago. Please beware. Don't go to the northwest suburbs as a Black man.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:30 AM

87 posts, read 383,357 times
I agree the actual city of stl is struggling, population and job wise, but plenty of good jobs and opportunities close in St Louis County and St Charles, St Peters area.
Many live in the city for the amenities and entertainment and have a short commute on I70 west or 64 to work.

I love it here in Maryland Heights in St Louis County, but I moved from Iowa so just about anything was an upgrade.

Good luck. Atlanta is a fun city, good jobs, but traffic is horrible. Maybe Charlotte, NC would be a place to look at.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:33 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I don’t know about the black community there, but I know a little about another single man in St Louis/St Charles area. He wanted to be close to bars and restaurants and around others his age.

My grandson has lived there since college and has been trying to buy a house for the past 5 years or so. He always gets outbid. Now he’s about to move to an apartment in Dogtown area of St. Louis. This is also the area he was hoping to buy a house in.

For what it’s worth, you can check that area out.

Old 02-04-2023, 09:53 PM

406 posts, read 341,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I had a robust dating life in Chicago that was far greater than any other place. Chicago is incredibly segregated! I also encountered more confrontational and systemic racism during my stay in Chicago. Please beware. Don't go to the northwest suburbs as a Black man.
I am a mixed Black man who lived in the Pittsburgh, PA area few yrs ago and my experiences there were very similar to what you experienced in Chicago.

Old 04-30-2023, 08:17 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:

Have you researched Nashville Tennessee? It's been booming for years (maybe too much?), but no state income tax, and certainly milder weather than MN or Chicago and without the summer extreme heat of Dallas.

People are leaving Chicago in droves from what I read and hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis