Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,765 times

Advertisements

I live south of St Louis and I need information on assisted living programs that are available in the city for special needs young people. We would need a facility that would help but not handicap. We would also like a program that would further her education needs. She will turn 18 in November and will graduate from High school in 2009. We are looking now so that we will have something lined up for her by next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM

63 posts, read 223,242 times
I don't have any answers for you - sorry! But, I would like to suggest you repost under a different name. I'm sure there are people out here who can help you, but may not pull up your post because they don't realize what it is about. Good luck!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,721 times
Hi, I am an 18 year old high school graduate, as of May 2008. I was a student who recieved St. Louis SSD resources and aide in high school after my diagnosis. I am currently pursing a career in special education myself, i really enjoy working with special needs people. I am not very severe, i have ADHD and some emoitional distubances, as they classify them. Being a senior in high school, i was eligible to pursue a 'cadet teacher' position in a class i had already taken and passed, and needed teacher approval. I was in a class called Teen Issues, and it dealt with all sorts of ways for teens to overcome 'issues' and live healthy and safe lives after high school. I was also in 'tansition to work' class with more severe special needs students than my myself. We researched assisted living in the class, and i thought i'd share the little bit that i know of. I first heard of LifeSkills through a friend of mine who is currently employed for them. I wasnt sure what they do exactly, so the teacher and the 3 other students and myself did a little research. LifeSkills has many different programs available for teens and adults with special needs. They have housing programs and they help teacher these people how to live successfully in the community in their own home, but they do have employees meet with these people to check in on them frequently and make sure they are keeping up with what they need to make themselves successful, which is what my friend does. She goes to their homes and offers to help with anything they may need, but allows them situations to be able to make their own choices and learn how to do so. She makes sure they keep up with their hygiene, dishes, and helps them make sure they can pay thier bills and helps them learn how. They also have educational programs for special needs people so that they may find jobs that they can use their skills in, but also works with them and around the disablility to make them as successful as any other employee. The LifeSkills website is lifeskills-stl.org. or click the hyperlink i put in for you!Life Skills (http://www.lifeskills-stl.org/index.html - broken link)

Vocational Rehab is another wonder resource, i was in the co-op program in HS, they provided HS credits for going to work! i was able to get 1 full credit in one semester! They do alot for eligible students and young adults in the st. louis area. I'm not sure if they have a website, but i believe you can get get information from st. louis community college at their campuses in thier access office, or they may know where to send you to get some. Voc Rehab helps people get jobs, maintain them, and live in the community as successful people. They can also help with continuing education, and can help provide transportation to and from work and school when eligable. They have many many other resources available through them as well. You might look them up in the phonebook or on switchboard.com or something similar.

I hope ive been somewhat helpful, even if not, it might help get your mind rolling on finding other resources. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck! I turn 19 in November, so happy birthday to her... 18 is a wonderful year, ive enjoyed, she will too!!

Please respond if i can help with any other information, or email me, i checked the box to allow other members to email me directly.

Best of luck to you!!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,760 times
Default Assisted Living for Younger Adults

There is a place that specializes for younger adults in Chicago
[URL="http://www.livingineden.com"]www.livingineden.com[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis