Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 AM

634 posts, read 2,348,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishingw2boys View Post
Yes, we are driving through and thought it would be a good place to let the kids out of the car and expend energy.
That will make commuting from one sight to another a lot easier, though it can be done via public transit.

I'd also throw the Missouri Botanical Gardens into the mix, as well as City Museum & the Zoo - all wonderful finds.

Are you staying at a hotel in the city? Or in the burbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
How can you not go to the arch? kids would love it. and the museum down below is really nice too. also, all of the stuff in Forest park is great, and free. There is a hotel right downtown that has a restaurant on top that circles around. years ago, we had a great sunday brunch there. plus, the view was excellent. I just can't recall the name.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
The hotel is the Millennium. the restaurant is really nice; the hotel is less than praised on trip advisor (my bible): Millennium Hotel St. Louis (Saint Louis, MO) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
Only one day? Would there be any way possible to extend your time in St. Louis to three days, or even two perhaps?

I'm not familiar with the City Museum, but there are enough positive testimonials about it here to get my attention. You could also easily spend an entire day at the Missouri Botanical Gardens; my wife and I never get tired of ooooohing and aaaahing at everything there is to see there.

If you think you'd like to take the elevator tram ride up in the Arch, I would go to the Arch as soon as it opens, make the tram ride reservations for mid-afternoon, go over to the outstanding St. Louis Zoo (at least half a day there), the City Museum or someplace else others have suggested here, then go back to the Arch and take the elevator to the top.

One caveat: the Arch elevator trams consist of eight very cozy capsules that each seat five people. When I rode it for the first time as a kid, I was petrified over it. It's almost like a late '50s-style space capsule on the inside, so keep that in mind if your children get frightened easily or get claustrophobic. But after the initial experience, it's a blast. 4 minutes to get to the top, and about 3 1/2 minutes coming back down. Each capsule begins to tilt, then level itself several times during the ride, and you can kind of make out the interior of the Arch's leg through the elevator's four vertical windows. Eero Saarinen's engineering of the Arch is just amazing.

Strive to spend more than a day in St. Louis, or begin making plans to re-visit St. Louis in September or early October. You'll be really glad you did!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Actually, since your children are so young, and the Arch tends to get very crowded, especially on weekends, you might decide to hold off on the Arch and, if you're able to spend an extra day in the area, get on I-44 west and drive 30 miles or so from downtown, go past Six Flags in Eureka, and visit Purina Farms in the little town of Gray Summit. The farm animals over there are just darling. They had a cow-milking demonstration and some dogs doing tricks out in an open corral when my wife and I visited it back in 2006. The drive along this part of I-44 between I-270 and Gray Summit is gorgeous too!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:59 PM

48 posts, read 150,164 times
lol. I was at City Museum today. I hadn't been in almost 5 years but it is still fun and exciting. I'm 24 by the way.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Actually, since your children are so young, and the Arch tends to get very crowded, especially on weekends, you might decide to hold off on the Arch and, if you're able to spend an extra day in the area, get on I-44 west and drive 30 miles or so from downtown, go past Six Flags in Eureka, and visit Purina Farms in the little town of Gray Summit. The farm animals over there are just darling. They had a cow-milking demonstration and some dogs doing tricks out in an open corral when my wife and I visited it back in 2006. The drive along this part of I-44 between I-270 and Gray Summit is gorgeous too!
Purina Farm is a lot of fun. They have a dog show sometimes as well. Is that the place that had the house of cats?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 PM

The house of cats--that I don't know. Wonder if anyone else would know?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
It basically was this building and it had stairs and this elaborate cat house. The cats were sleeping. They have certain times when you can pet the cats, but we couldn't because there were too many people there or something. There were dogs outside in their pen.

I think it was the same place. They also had the dog show (with the dogs doing tricks) and a little petting zoo.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 06-05-2008 at 12:33 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
If your kids like animals you could also hit Grant's Farm, which is a little closer in. It's the historic land of Ulysses S. Grant and it's owned by Anheuser-Busch now. They have lots of animals and it was rated by Zagat as the 7th best attraction nationwide for families
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis