Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2024, 07:28 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times

Advertisements

I consistently find it intriguing to learn about individuals' origins and the reasons behind their choice of St. Louis. Recently, I came across an insightful article on Stacker titled "People from These Metros are Looking to Buy Homes in St. Louis." In my opinion, the list presented in the article appears to be well-compiled and noteworthy. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on it.

1. Chicago
  2. San Francisco
  3. New York City
  4. Los Angeles
  5. Dallas
  6. Springfield, Mo
  7. Columbia, Mo
  8. Kansas City
  9. Phoenix
  10. Indianapolis

https://stacker.com/missouri/st-loui...homes-st-louis

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 01-07-2024 at 07:39 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 07:40 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I consistently find it intriguing to learn about individuals' origins and the reasons behind their choice of St. Louis. Recently, I came across an insightful article on Stacker titled "People from These Metros are Looking to Buy Homes in St. Louis." In my opinion, the list presented in the article appears to be well-compiled and noteworthy. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on it.

1. Chicago
  2. San Francisco
  3. New York City
  4. Los Angeles
  5. Dallas
  6. Springfield, Mo
  7. Columbia, Mo
  8. Kansas City
  9. Phoenix
  10. Indianapolis

https://stacker.com/missouri/st-loui...homes-st-louis

I scrolled through it. I'm surprised at a number of the cities on the list, like who in the heck in NYC or San Francisco is really wanting to relocate to STL.

I figured Chicago was a no brainer though:

#1. Chicago, Illinois
- Makes up 44.3% of all page views
This story features data reporting and writing by Elena Cox and is part of a series utilizing data automation across 314 metros.

I wouldn't have guessed it would be such a high percentage of page views but I guess I don't really know what that means in terms of how serious someone is.

But given the proximity and much lower cost of living and still being in the midwest if that is what you are used to I can see why, especially if you are working from home.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I scrolled through it. I'm surprised at a number of the cities on the list, like who in the heck in NYC or San Francisco is really wanting to relocate to STL.

I figured Chicago was a no brainer though:

#1. Chicago, Illinois
- Makes up 44.3% of all page views
This story features data reporting and writing by Elena Cox and is part of a series utilizing data automation across 314 metros.

I wouldn't have guessed it would be such a high percentage of page views but I guess I don't really know what that means in terms of how serious someone is.

But given the proximity and much lower cost of living and still being in the midwest if that is what you are used to I can see why, especially if you are working from home.
If one is shopping real-estate, I guess it might make sense. The subject has absolutely nothing to do with quality of the city and urban lifestyle. The searches are motivated by real-estate interest.

I've met a handful of transplants from NYC and none from SF.

Half of St Louis city is from Chicago.

Old 01-12-2024, 02:43 PM

685 posts, read 766,789 times
Chicago - Stl and vice versa is not surprising. Chicago has a population that is several-fold larger than any other metro near StL. A lot of folks have family, friends, or attended college in both cities. The same is true for many companies with offices in each, making transfers easy.

It's also easier to travel between Chicago-StL than other nearby metros. I-55 and I-57 are both easy drives, no tolls. We have a "higher" speed rail line. And there are multiple daily flights to/from O'Hare and Midway.

Beyond that, I'd say the largest number of transplants come from StL's hinterlands. They moved here for college or a career and decided to stay. Close enough to drive "home" within a few hours.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Chicago - Stl and vice versa is not surprising. Chicago has a population that is several-fold larger than any other metro near StL. A lot of folks have family, friends, or attended college in both cities. The same is true for many companies with offices in each, making transfers easy.

It's also easier to travel between Chicago-StL than other nearby metros. I-55 and I-57 are both easy drives, no tolls. We have a "higher" speed rail line. And there are multiple daily flights to/from O'Hare and Midway.

Beyond that, I'd say the largest number of transplants come from StL's hinterlands. They moved here for college or a career and decided to stay. Close enough to drive "home" within a few hours.
I've lived in both St. Louis and Chicago, and although they are quite different, they complement the region very well. Chicago has a stronger Great Lakes culture, and St. Louis is more Middle America.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:54 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post

I don't know if it is still the case today, but when I graduated from Mizzou in '91 many of my classmates/friends moved to Chicago. They wanted to experience life in the big city. Some stayed after getting married and starting families and resettled in the Chicago burbs, but most left, with some returning back to St. Louis.

Despite its problems the cost of living and general ease of living in St. Louis is pretty good and if you no longer need the excitement of living the mega-city, STL makes a lot of sense, especially when you can always visit Chicago pretty easily.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:16 PM

525 posts, read 718,281 times
I am originally from Southeast Missouri. I left in 2007 living in Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, and Texas. I am currently in DFW, Texas.

I have been considering a move back home due to being closer to family along with affordable housing and low property taxes.

I prefer city life so I have been looking into St. Louis Metro, especially Kirkwood, Webster Groves, and St. Charles County. It is only 1 hour 15 minutes from my family in Cape Girardeau & Jackson, MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis