Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:17 PM

81 posts, read 377,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlbluesgirl View Post
My friend is a teacher at Hoech Middle School (the one on Ashby across from the park), and he even said that he didn't want to see my children there.
Has he said why? I mean, I know everyone needs a job....but I've seen that mentioned TWICE now in this forum, to the effect that 'my friend/relative is a teacher there and would never send their kids there'. That's not good. People don't become teachers for the salary! It's a sad, sad fact that actors and athletes get paid SO much and our teachers that are molding tomorrow's adults get paid so little--so either teach in a district that you ARE proud of or DO SOMETHING to make it a district you CAN be proud of. ALL schools are hiring since fewer and fewer people are going into that field...heck I'm in the Ladue school district and there are quite a few teaching positions open for the next year at all three levels on our website right now.

But I'm sorry, I firmly believe it's not just money that makes a district. It's the dedication of the parents involved and the staff working as hard as they can to make it as good as it can be. Your kid can go to the #1 district in the area but if you aren't involved--they can flunk out as quick as anyone. But that's just my .02.

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I am a firm believer that test scores can be very deceiving, but for a prospective parent they're absolutely worth looking at and considering.

Ritenour: Greatschools.net Search: ritenour

Pattonville: Pattonville R-III School District schools, St. Ann - MO: charter and public schools. St. Ann school district - St. Ann MO school district

i think you'll find the differences in test scores to be shocking.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 PM

53 posts, read 122,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaHMo View Post
Has he said why? I mean, I know everyone needs a job....but I've seen that mentioned TWICE now in this forum, to the effect that 'my friend/relative is a teacher there and would never send their kids there'. That's not good. People don't become teachers for the salary! It's a sad, sad fact that actors and athletes get paid SO much and our teachers that are molding tomorrow's adults get paid so little--so either teach in a district that you ARE proud of or DO SOMETHING to make it a district you CAN be proud of. ALL schools are hiring since fewer and fewer people are going into that field...heck I'm in the Ladue school district and there are quite a few teaching positions open for the next year at all three levels on our website right now.

But I'm sorry, I firmly believe it's not just money that makes a district. It's the dedication of the parents involved and the staff working as hard as they can to make it as good as it can be. Your kid can go to the #1 district in the area but if you aren't involved--they can flunk out as quick as anyone. But that's just my .02.

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO
He's definitely not there for the salary. He is there to help the kids and that is what has been keeping him there. He IS there for the kids, not the money.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 AM

4 posts, read 10,374 times
I am in law enforcement. Anywhere you go, municipal government services are about the same - which are relatively good. County government services are below municipal grade (my opinion only) so it is a much better choice to living in an incorporated area. Note: Property is usually cheaper in the unicorporated areas because of this.

As for school district and your $75,000.00 housing cap, I would stay north of I-270, east of I-70. It may be hard to find a house that you may like in the Florissant, but Hazelwood would be a good choice and you are more likely to find what you want. Plus, great government services and school district.

Whatever you do, stay out of the Riverview Gardens School District - they are not an accreditted institution and they have massive internal problems. Plus, they are still being investigated by the state for a variety of things (illegal mostly).

Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM

Hazelwood has a great school district? hahahaha (Are you the principal of East or something!?!?!)

Old 06-17-2008, 05:39 PM

84 posts, read 339,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Hazelwood has a great school district? hahahaha (Are you the principal of East or something!?!?!)
for someone looking to buy a house for $75,000 Hazelwood schools are pretty good. of course i would stay out of the eastern portion of the district. but Ferg-Flor is definately a step above hazelwood. the hazelwood districts problem is it is just WAY to big to properly manage.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM

I think that's a cop out to say that Hazelwoo'ds major problem is that it's too big.

Hazelwood is large geographically, but they have fewer kids (just over 19k) than many many other St. Louis areas school districts including Rockwood (22,500 kids), Francis Howell (22k), Fort Zumwalt ( 19k)

Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 PM

200 posts, read 632,792 times
If you go to the northern most points of Hazelwood and Florissant you'll most likely hit the incorporated areas bnpd176 has mentioned. I also would like to mention as of late these areas are the most diverse out of any other suburbs in STL if you ask me.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 18,566 times
Im having trouble wih the st louis crime map. i put in the zip code where i am concidering to move and all i get is no results found for anything. its 63137 (riverview)

Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM

5 posts, read 18,566 times
Default riverview

how is the riverview area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis