Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 34,180 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on this subdivision, good and bad. Looking at buying a house in this neighborhood and was wondering what it was like. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
Who's the builder?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 29,218 times
Default Ofallon hills

I live in Ofallon hills subdivision.....I can tell you it is unincorporated st. charles county which means lower taxes....wentzville school district....the nieghborhood is an older one where the elderly are moving out and the younger generation has moved in and are working hard to clean up the place....right now we do not have great water pressure but that is something we are working on....drainage is also an issue most corner lots on the main drag flood during heavy down poors....our other issue is the quarry across the highway has caused many foundations to blow...I have a tri-level so it is not a problem for me...they blast M-F at noon and you will feel it a smidge...freaked me out the first time till i realized what it was...there are alot of shade tree mechanics, construction workers and blue collars.....lots of children....lots of people have boats, campers, trailers etc...this is not a problem in our nieghborhood to keep on your property as long as it is on gravel....most people just put stuff in thier back yard so the nieghborhood looks real clean...It is very obvious when the county has come through....everyone crams thier trailers, campers, boats in the driveway for a couple days until the county does reinspection and then its back to the back yard again......personally our nieghborhood looks real good until the county comes through and the driveways are cramped with toys....the nieghborhood is NOT ethnically diverse....don't be surprised if you see someone come home with a bobcat or other heavy machinery....and we love our bon-fires...I personally love my nieghborhood.... I am 27 years old with no children to give you an idea

Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 34,180 times
Thank you swamper, that is exactly the kind of information i was looking for. Sounds like the neighborhood is just what we are looking for. couple of questions. What do you mean by when the county comes through? Do you get a notice? How often do they come? The house we are buying has a big backyard and i was going to keep my camper back there. Any problem with the power going out during storms? I noticed that the utility's were above ground and there are a lot of big trees. Since its unincorporated who mainly does the trash service? thanks.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 AM

When I say county I am refering to St. Charles County....they have been through the nieghborhood twice that I am aware of since I moved in Sept of 2005....The county will give you a notice for any vehicles not on gravel or payment....you are completely in compliance to have a boat, camper or whatever in your backyard as long as it is on at least gravel....not allowed on grass but people do it all the time anyway....once you recieve a notice you have so many days to correct it with out being fined or anything....they then come through again usually a week or so later make sure everyone has met their standards and once that happens everyone puts thier stuff away again....as for the powerlines overhead yes we have had minor issues nothing that has left us without power for extended periods of time though....longest time I can remember was 3-4 hours....our subdivision is part of the Ameren PowerOn trimming project which means they are trimming trees around the main lines in the subdivision to prevent problems....they are not trimming trees near the lines that go directly to the homes so each home owner is responsible for thier upkeep....we recently burried our electric going to our home....Ameren is more than happy to assist you but you have to perform the work yourself.....meaning you have to make a trench to the correct depth....provide and lay the conduit....have it inspected etc....when you do this not only can you feel at ease about the electric but most insurance companies will give you a discount for upgrading your service....the power outages also depend on which pole you are connected to....the more houses on your pole the less time you will spend without power should it occur...my pole only has 3 houses on it....is there a certain street you are looking at? As for trash service there are several choices I believe there are like 4....I know Christian disposal comes through and I have Wilson waste which charges me 40.50 every 3 months for once a week pickup and provides me a container...I have to warn you though if you are looking at one of the houses near me....my neighbors and I hop houses on holiday weekends so if you have a party we will likely invite ourselves over and enjoy a cold one with ya....of course you are always welcome to crash our parties as well Oh and I hope you like dogs.....they are everywhere...any other questions?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 24,135 times
could you tell me about the house on 19 South Meadow. We are looking to buy from North Carolina and unfortunatly cannot come to look at the house in person. Is this one of the yards that is swampy? Is everyone community oriented. I am a Marine wife and will be there with our four children while my hubby trains in Cali to once again deploy. Do you happen to know the owners? did they keep it nice or what not.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCwife04 View Post
could you tell me about the house on 19 South Meadow. We are looking to buy from North Carolina and unfortunatly cannot come to look at the house in person. Is this one of the yards that is swampy? Is everyone community oriented. I am a Marine wife and will be there with our four children while my hubby trains in Cali to once again deploy. Do you happen to know the owners? did they keep it nice or what not.
You could do a google street view (looks like there are a couple of rednecks in the hood, keeping their crap in the driveway).

It is near Lake Saint Louis and flooding/swampiness has never been a problem around here.

On a personal note we bought our house online (we took a rent with option to buy, in case we decided to back out). We lucked out with a nice clean neighbor hood, and great neighbors.

Best wishes and good luck to your husband on his next deployment.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock40cal View Post
Does anyone have any information on this subdivision, good and bad. Looking at buying a house in this neighborhood and was wondering what it was like. Thanks

Welcome! O'Fallon Hills is an outstanding area, it's very family-oriented and pleasant.

And judging by your CD moniker, always great to have another gun/shooting enthusiast in the community. I am a proud owner of a Glock 17 and Smith & Wesson 620. Here are some great indoor ranges that I highly recommend:

Bull's Eye, L.L.C.
Jay Henges Shooting Range & Outdoor Education Center
St. Louis Shooting Ranges & Guns - StLouis.com

Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 AM

The owners of the house at 19 Meadow have passed away. The man passed away this past summer and the woman passed the year before that. Their daughter remains in the house behind. I know the family well and the house was always well maintained. We do have issues with yards that flood in this neighborhood but 19 meadow is not one of them. There are no storm drains in the neighborhood. Yes some of us keep our campers on our property and if that makes us rednecks so be it but we will also be the first to lend a hand to our nieghbors. I have made many improvements to my home since I bought it and I would have to say looking at my camper is a lot better than looking at the house the way it was when I bought it and I will continue to make improvements to my property.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 24,135 times
Thanks so much for the info. I can handle rednecks as well I went to both Francis Howell then moved to the boondoks in Union. Also did a street view, no sidewalks in the neighborhood? How close are the amenites, (target, grociers, gas,ect). What schools? I have viewed two different listings and both have different schools listed. Things have change quite a bit since I was in highschool out that way. You say this is a younger neighborhood now, so are there lots of kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis