Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,069 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am going to be a first year medical student at SLU, and I really need help finding an appropriate place to live. I would like to stay under 800/month on rent. I have heard there are some really dicey areas in STL and coming from one of the safest cities in the nation (simi valley, ca), I'm really nervous about finding an appropriate place to live. I would prefer somewhere slightly upscale and quieter as I am a light sleeper. Thanks in advance for giving me advice, I really really appreciate it. Finding an apartment from halfway across the country has turned out to be a huge headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 12:08 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
$800/month is certainly doable. St. Louis isn't (from what I've heard) quite as dangerous as people think. Upscale sounds more like the Central West End, but it will be farther from St. Louis University. And it won't be as quiet. Lafayette Park and Soulard are nice, though maybe more pricey. I think the area around SLU is sometimes referred to as Downtown West.

Really most areas are just fine. I have heard that Martin Luther King Dr is kind of the border for North St. Louis, which, though it has some nice neighborhoods, are probably more dangerous than any other area of the city. Being a city, there may be some car break-ins, but in any major city you mostly have to get used to that, especially if you want a place pretty cheap.

$800 a month I think is above average price for a 1 BR apartment. But it could also get you a place downtown if that's what you prefer.

Here's some neighborhood info
St. Louis Communities - Downtown Lofts and Urban Living

You could check out Cupples Station Loft Apartments 1 BRs start at $562/month, if they're not full. There are more Cupples buildings currently being worked on. This one is about a block from Busch Stadium. I think it's income-dependent, though.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm sure some of the other posters can.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:37 AM

287 posts, read 1,086,538 times
Try googling the Dogtown, Clifton Heights, Lindenwood, St. Louis Hills or Southampton neighborhoods. You should be able to find a 1 or 2 bedroom in those areas for that price. All those are generally safe, quiet, and located a little southwest of SLU (still in the city).

Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I agree with anr_black's suggestions. Any of them should be quiet enough for you, though as older areas, you might not find the "upscale" you're looking for in your price range.

Central West End is very nice (and actually a very short commute to SLU - also easily accessible with metro light rail if you'd like) but most of the options in your price range would be "vintage" and off the busier and bustling streets.

I'd also highly suggest Clayton. It's outside the city limits and quieter, but your commute would still be pretty short. Again though, for $800 you'll be fairly limited.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM

21 posts, read 57,666 times
What are you used to? I will point you in the right direction. I would suggest Clayton, Richmond Heights. I am a Realtor by the way...not trying to get your business. I know St. Louis

Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,069 times
hey guys, i think i found a place next to forest park.

How's this area?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Which direction from Forest Park? I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, just curious.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
The neighborhoods mentioned in this thread are all further away from SLU than the Central West End (although none mentioned are more than 10-15 minutes away, but CWE is like 5 minutes away). We rent a crappy 1-bedroom apartment for $700 a month in CWE and the area is totally safe/walkable. Now, North City is only a mile or two away, but there is no area here (in the city) that is completely safe in each direction. If you want "city-living" and alot of safety though, I would go with Clayton. It would be a 15-20 minute commute though. If you do go with CWE though, I would get east of Kings Highway.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
South of Forest Park is Dogtown which is plenty safe. North should be fine as long as its south of Delmar, but the area is less populated at night. East is fine, west is fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis