Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:11 PM

8 posts, read 57,824 times

Advertisements

Maybe I will be moving to St. Louis County next year. I'm a little bit worried about crime in the area. Somebody told me that St. Charles (O'fallon area) it's a very safe place to live. I have a child with autism and I don't know which county offers better services and better schools. I'll appreciate any recommendation about the safest places to live in St. Louis County and St. Charles County, best schools, and better autism services. Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:37 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
I wouldn't worry too much about crime. There's only certain neighborhoods in the city that are really unsafe, and the suburbs are generally fine.

Different people have different comfort levels, but most cities in St. Louis County or St. Charles County are probably fine. St. Charles itself is good, too.

But I don't know about schools.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:55 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Most neighborhoods in St. Louis are safe, esp as you get into the suburbs. Even Kirkwood is safe, despite the crazy news lately. That and Webster Groves, Clayton, Ladue, Brentwood--I could walk around any of those at night. For special schools, do a search on any of the schools in the neighborhoods you're looking at but note that most of the county schools (all the ones I listed) have their special ed services thru the Special School District. Your child will probably go to the school in your district, but have teachers assigned from SSD, so include Special School District in your search.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
If you end up looking in St. Charles County you should hook up with this group for suggestions of the best services for your child: St. Charles County Autism Support Group (http://sccasg.org/ - broken link)

Old 03-29-2009, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 13,723 times
Default School Districts in St. Louis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about crime. There's only certain neighborhoods in the city that are really unsafe, and the suburbs are generally fine.

Different people have different comfort levels, but most cities in St. Louis County or St. Charles County are probably fine. St. Charles itself is good, too.

But I don't know about schools.

School districts pretty much go with the neighborhood. It's no guarantee of course, but high-priced real estate and better schools tend to go together, as do abandoned building and lousy schools.

One of the larger districts (Hazelwood) has (or had) a problem in the east end, I'm told. A co-worker said he moved because Kirby Middle School has significant gang activity, and even in the elementary schools that feed Kirby they're pressuring kids to join.

Apparently some of the families in the east end of the district recently moved from the City of St. Louis and don't "get" education as a concept the way that the more-established families do. That's how it was explained to me, anyway.

This was about 4 or 5 years ago, so things may be different there now. I live in the west end of the Hazelwood District (much further west and I'd be in St. Charles or at least the Missouri River), and things are very different here. -Eric

Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 PM

13 posts, read 53,064 times
Is anyone familiar with Chesterfield area and the elementary schools there? What about the St. Peter's area in St. Charles county, are there good elementary schools there? Should I be worried about gang activity in these elementary school districts?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM

St. Charles county will likely put you in one of three large districts -- St. Charles City, Francis Howell or Fort Zumwalt. All are considered solid schools -- Francis Howell being the best, followed by FZ and StC. Gangs would not be worth worrying about -- crime is pretty much non-existent in the area -- I mean it's the exurbs. I grew up in the area if you have questions.

Chesterfield is considerably more expensive and the schools are extremely well regarded.

What's your budget?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 PM

13 posts, read 53,064 times
First I need to sell my home in Greensboro, NC (IF anyone is moving to GSO and looking to buy contact me separately) then I will be ready to consider buying in STL. I would say my budget is upto $220K although I would consider buying a condo/townhome in Chesterfield if I can find one in the price range of $190-210K. Since I have 2 young kids I'm looking for YMCA close buy, soccer fields, Parks with bike trails and neighborhoods with kids. Will I find this in St. Charles county?

Again thank you very much for the information.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM

St. Charles sounds like it will offer you everything you are looking for, and with your budget you'll find many homes that should work for your family -- If you want to see what's out there, check out Coldwell Banker Gundaker's Web site. There you can search by schools -- I would suggest starting out by looking at homes in Francis Howell North and Fort Zumwalt East.

St. Peters has a great rec facility, the Rec-Plex (http://www.stpetersmo.net/default.asp?SectionID=24 - broken link) with pool, skating rink, basketball etc. etc.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,375 times
You can find a 2 or 3 bedroom condo/townhouse in Chesterfield for $220K and under, but do not expect to find anything too large or too fancy. As aragx6 already mentioned, you can get a lot more for that same amount of money in St. Charles and their schools will hopefully be fine (I am personally unfamiliar with St. Charles county schools).

I liked your question about "gang activity" in St. Charles and Chesterfield, especially posted on April 1. That actually gave me an April Fool's Day chuckle thinking of seeing suburban county kids pretending to be "hip", urban gangsters. I've seem their imitations of gangsters, and they are about as good as mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis