Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:14 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times

Advertisements

Getting back on track now

Here is some positive [yea, there is negs, but to focus just on such does little good]:
STLtoday - Incubators provide care and nurturing for young companies (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/manufacturingtechnology/story/543F7D2062A68EBF86257483000A2D8C?OpenDocument - broken link)

Its the little things such as this that makes a BIG difference in our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 25,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
Troy, MO

Sorry it's just hard to take someones word about what's "ghetto" or "run down" from someone that far out from the city.

Yes, I live way outside the city of St. Louis (there's a reason for that)...but I work in the city so I've seen it plenty of times. I want to relocate and get out of the dead area of St. Louis!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:16 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Last year, my wife got homesick for the Hell that is the Greater Saint Louis Area, so we decided to move here.

I was a well paid Advertising / PR professional in Southern California. I thought that I would be able to get some sort of position in my field. Outside of some short term Temp assignments, I can't find anything, not even work that I was doing when I started my career in the business,

It is very hard for an "outsider" to find work in a parochial and insular hiring environment. I'm looking for a wayout to leave this *****hole.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,156 times
with that attitude not really surprised you cant find a job.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM

I don't go into interviews with that attitude. I've been trying to stay positive but every day it gets harder and harder.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:38 PM

389 posts, read 902,356 times
you sound a bit whiny. just a smidge. Why would you move in this economy? Why would you move without securing a good job first? Why would you move without knowing how you'd like St. Louis?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM

y wife really wanted to move (she grew up here) here to be closer to her mom. A great opportunity came up and I had made enough money in CA to buy a home here.

Fortunately we did buy in Lake Saint Louis, which is the saving grace of living in this area. Its a bit like the west coast in attitude and amenities (I just avoid the Hillbilly highway (I-70) when going into the city - I can't wait until i-64 is complete)

I didn't think it would be so hard to find work here, after all I turned down 3 jobs in CA (california was already well into the recession) just to move here. I never realized that you almost have to have a local high school or Mizzou pedigree to be accepted into the work place.

I visited here many times. I was never too crazy about the area but thought I could make it work. You got to keep the wife happy.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:33 PM

74 posts, read 182,158 times
This is a tough economic climate to uproot and move in. Finding a job is difficult in most places. Aside from that, I'm someone that prefers the west coast also, but there are plenty of nice places in St. Louis that are great and can hold you over until you can move again. You and your wife should explore different parts of the city more if you haven't already. There isn't as much to do in this area as there are in bigger cities, but there are things to do, you just have to work a little harder to find them and you'll be rewarded with a good time.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 AM

74 posts, read 182,158 times
10 Cities With the Most Job Postings Per Capita - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20090713/ts_usnews/10citieswiththemostjobpostingspercapita - broken link)

Where are the Jobs? | Indeed.com

I'm kind of surprised by this. I would have expected St. Louis to be more in the middle of this list, but it's pretty low. It is possible though that like many of these 'top lists' for random things that this list is skewed due to one factor or another, making it very inaccurate.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
y wife really wanted to move (she grew up here) here to be closer to her mom. A great opportunity came up and I had made enough money in CA to buy a home here.

Fortunately we did buy in Lake Saint Louis, which is the saving grace of living in this area. Its a bit like the west coast in attitude and amenities (I just avoid the Hillbilly highway (I-70) when going into the city - I can't wait until i-64 is complete)

I didn't think it would be so hard to find work here, after all I turned down 3 jobs in CA (california was already well into the recession) just to move here. I never realized that you almost have to have a local high school or Mizzou pedigree to be accepted into the work place.

I visited here many times. I was never too crazy about the area but thought I could make it work. You got to keep the wife happy.
bud, see that is your problem right there... if during the interview process you speak of this paved highway as I-64, you won't, heck you shouldn't get hired .

Its US 40... c'mon, say it with me... Highway Fardy. There ya go. Now, you can pay me the signing bonus for helping you land the new job. You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis