U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 PM

16 posts, read 63,591 times

Advertisements

I am a female in my late twenties, moving to St Louis this fall to attend graduate school at Wash-U. I am therefore looking for a place to live in a very very safe, nice, clean neighborhood near the campus.

Can anyone out there shed some light on the neighborhoods/areas surrounding the campus where I might be able to find housing. I have been told the Central South West/ Demun/ Clayton are some of the nicer/safer neighborhoods but at the same time I have heard some negative accounts-so I am not quite sure

Also, I would like to be able to dodge the major road construction in St. Louis since I'll be making frequent visits to neighboring Southern Illinois. Does anyone know anything about Kirkwood? I have visited Kirkwood a few times and I like it but I am not sure about its proximity to Wash-U.

Your honest words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 AM

10,369 posts, read 19,469,403 times
I would not recommend Kirkwood for you situation--it's too far away from where you need to be, and the road construction would be a major obstacle. Besides it's a family suburban neighborhood with lots of big old houses--thoroughly charming, but not a singles dream. Now if you decide to get married and live here. . .

The area you spoke of is nice and I've not heard of problems. Every place has potential problems--Kirkwood has had its share for that matter, but I don't think the DuMun/Clayton area would be bad at all. If you wanted to get a little further out but still have close proximity, Maplewood is an up-and-coming area with a great downtown area and lower housing costs and lots of fun stuff to do, and while the road construction is near there, it's not as much of a headache from Maplewood to WU because you can just take Big Bend in, and you can access Hwy 40 from Big Bend to go to IL. That will change next January, but we're all adjusting to the Hwy construction a lot better than I thought we would, and it's do-able. I would feel comfortable walking out at night in any of these areas we've mentioned.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM

634 posts, read 2,217,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young&restless View Post
I am a female in my late twenties, moving to St Louis this fall to attend graduate school at Wash-U.
First of all, congrats! Wash. U. is a top-notch school with some excellent programs, particularly in the areas of law, medicine, and the hard sciences...is it obvious that I work there?

Quote:
I am therefore looking for a place to live in a very very safe, nice, clean neighborhood near the campus. Can anyone out there shed some light on the neighborhoods/areas surrounding the campus where I might be able to find housing. I have been told the Central South West/ Demun/ Clayton are some of the nicer/safer neighborhoods but at the same time I have heard some negative accounts-so I am not quite sure
First, let me say this, and by no means do I do so to scare you off - crime happens in every area. Some areas have less, some have more, but much of your safety has to do with you being proactive in your day-to-day life. Car break-ins, the occasional domestic dispute and the like are going to happen, maybe not to you, but to a friend or neighbor in the area, no matter where you live.

That said, the "safest" areas (IMO) with closest proximity to Wash. U. are Clayton, and in particular, the DeMun area. These are also some of the most expensive areas - rents for a 1BR/1BA can start at more than $600/month. Craigslist is probably your best bet for finding general listings, especially as they are well-equipped with maps of the area.

You can expand your housing search to several areas, both in the city and inner-ring suburbs (Maplewood, Richmond Heights, Univ. City) depending on your price and travel-ability (car, bus, train). My personal suggestion would be (if not car) to try and find something within a couple of blocks of a Metro train stop. Not only is this helpful to get to & from campus, but it is also a link to downtown STL, as well as traveling further east all the way to Scott AFB. Here's a link that shows you all of the Metro Stops, including the two for Wash. U. (Skinker & Big Bend/U/. City): Google Maps

Quote:
Also, I would like to be able to dodge the major road construction in St. Louis since I'll be making frequent visits to neighboring Southern Illinois. Does anyone know anything about Kirkwood? I have visited Kirkwood a few times and I like it but I am not sure about its proximity to Wash-U.
It depends on where you are going to in SoIL. I-64/40 is still open from I-170 east to the IL side, but will be closing in Dec. 08/Jan. 09 for a year. The loop of I-270 might be the way to go, but it is often very congested, depending on where you are headed and the time of day. It can also be a hassle to get to 270 from the Wash. U. area. Can you be more specific where you'll be traveling to - that might make all the difference.

Kirkwood, while very nice in most places, is relatively far from the Wash. U. campus. With little traffic, it would still take 20 minutes to drive one-way...during morning commutes, etc., I have no idea what the time estimates are (I walk to campus from home), but 20-30 minutes seems about right (others...please correct me if I am grossly off).

Best of luck in your continued search!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 AM

18 posts, read 41,537 times
The Moorlands neighborhood in Clayton is popular, but listings are hard to find. Best to drive through (take Westwood north off Clayton Road) and take down addresses and phone numbers. Concerning safety, call the local police department. There should be an information officer who can answer your questions and give you objective information on recent crime in the area. Congrats on attending an outstanding graduate school, and welcome to St. Louis!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 AM

817 posts, read 1,273,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlaptsearch View Post
The Moorlands neighborhood in Clayton is popular, but listings are hard to find. Best to drive through (take Westwood north off Clayton Road) and take down addresses and phone numbers. Concerning safety, call the local police department. There should be an information officer who can answer your questions and give you objective information on recent crime in the area. Congrats on attending an outstanding graduate school, and welcome to St. Louis!
The original posting is two years old. She may have come and gone by now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis