U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM

2,660 posts, read 6,420,053 times

Advertisements

Just wandering in anticipation.

Where I come from, it is hot (summertime) through the end of September. October is usually fall weather. Winter usually begins mid-November.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,833,967 times
I always say it starts to get cold here just as soon as you think you can't take the heat for one moment longer. The 4 seasons work nicely like that.

But in general, you're about right. November is always the weird month (and December can be random as well) and you'll get that occasional Indian summer day. Thanksgiving is either nice or freezing!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM

634 posts, read 2,217,609 times
I'd say that's pretty accurate for a good portion of the midwest. By October, highs are in the 70's with a few 80's sprinkled in, and then by Halloween it's more like 60's with some 70's mixed in.

November can really be a mixed bag, but it seems over the past decade, the first snow fall doesn't occur until mid-December. I remember in the 80's that the first snow would usually fall around Thanksgiving.

And as far as "winter" goes, anything is possible. Lots of ice and freezing rain, to be sure. In the first full week of January this year, we had a day with a high of 73 degrees at 1 p.m...only to see it snowing 3 hours later...nuts!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The 4 seasons work nicely like that.
You mean 3 seasons?

I don't recall having a Spring this year. It just straight from Winter to Summer

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,833,967 times
Wasn't in St. Louis this spring, but typically Missouri has some of the prettiest springs around. It just happened to be a tough winter. They cycle; I promise.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,479,849 times
A lot depends on where you are coming from, comparing it to, and what your definition of "hot" etc....is....

For example, talk to many people who complain about Chicago's tough winters(which is true) but for many the kicker is the lack of Spring. Spring like weather there begins in June.

In some places, March is very nice. Most of the time March is not that great imo in St. Louis. I am usually unimpressed with March and April in St. Louis. This was not one of St. Louis' better May's, which is usually very nice. St. Louis typically has 4 equal seasons. And it gets the extremes, extreme heat and cold, just not for all that long.

September is still summer weather in Stl. October and November are nice fall weather months. The first half of December is usually pretty decent. Late December through end of February are winter and cold. March and April are hit and miss depending on the year and even day. The Midwest has very unpredictable weather.

St. Louis is a solid step up from Chicago in the weather department for many, but far from a place that has consistent 80 degree March weather. The difference in a lot of communication out there is that many people consider June summer for example when actually, technically much of it is Spring, to name one example. The average random person imo means March, April, May when thinking of Spring. If you want consistent sunny upper 60's, 70's, 80's for that, you won't find it in St. Louis except for May. You will find it periodically earlier. This year May wasn't a great one for Stl.

A lot of it is relative to where you are comparing and what your ideal weather is...

My ideal weather is bright sunshine with bright blue skies during the day and rain only late at night to keep everything green with temps 70-85. I've yet to find a place that will do that daily for me year round.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Being from the gulf coast region, I usually consider this as the schedule solely based on temperature and "feel" ...

Spring: March, April, May

Summer: June, July, August, September

Fall: October, November

Winter: December, January, Febuary

For example, I was amazed living here this past April. I have never heard of (or I guess I should say have never experienced) having cold days after April 1st . Usually, any jackets and/or sweatshirts can go back into storage by early-March or mid-March easy.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,479,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Being from the gulf coast region, I usually consider this as the schedule solely based on temperature and "feel" ...

Spring: March, April, May

Summer: June, July, August, September

Fall: October, November

Winter: December, January, Febuary

For example, I was amazed living here this past April. I have never heard of (or I guess I should say have never experienced) having cold days after April 1st . Usually, any jackets and/or sweatshirts can go back into storage by early-March or mid-March easy.
Well, I don't mean to insult you, but St. Louis isn't the Gulf Coast and you should know way better than that to expect the same weather. A few years ago at NCAA Final Four in April, it was very warm, sunny and great in St. Louis. It's very hit or miss, and St. Louis does get a lot of Spring rain. Not much snow in winter, but rain in Spring for sure.

The months you listed are what I would consider to be the same for St. Louis....the difference is March and April will not be as consistently nice/warm as Gulf Coast. The rest fit in well and are consistent. St. Louis does not have 80 degree early Spring days like the South. I often talk to Chicago people about this...and they don't understand that places like where you have been before, have very nice 60'6 70's 80's in March. They think nice is 40 degrees sometimes, lol. St. Louis has a better Spring than that, but not Gulf Coast. It will have plenty of humidity to make you feel at home in July and August. May, June, Sept are very nice. June has been great, 85 and sunny day after day this year.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Well, I don't mean to insult you, but St. Louis isn't the Gulf Coast and you should know way better than that to expect the same weather.
I never said I expected a midwestern city to have the same weather patterns as a southern city . I just meant that it was a new (and somewhat uncomfortable) experience - freezing as I walk to the car on some mornings in early May. No offense taken though.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:02 AM

5,812 posts, read 17,794,070 times
It usually gets cold here in Southeast Missouri around December, but the weather can be eratic. November might require a sweater or coat outdoors depending on your comfort level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis