Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times

Advertisements

I'm a wuss too LOL... just never realized how regional it was.

I guess now that I think about it, i was surprised at how few bugs I had in my ground level apartment in the Chicago suburbs last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I'm a wuss too LOL... just never realized how regional it was.

I guess now that I think about it, i was surprised at how few bugs I had in my ground level apartment in the Chicago suburbs last year.
Have to agree with you, Aragx6 - certainly see more bugs here around STL than I ever did in Chicago, though the heat you feel in the Loop during a muggy July day surpasses anything I've ever felt except for a few choice days on the Gulf Coast.

However, the bug situation along some parts of the Gulf Coast is MUCH worse than even in STL. My wife (bug lover that she ain't) even said it's not so bad here...plus, she loves the lightning bugs, which we see more of here than in any other place we've lived.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:09 PM

57 posts, read 186,733 times
Wildwood has upscale homes in a very nice area.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,094 times
I live in Santa Rosa, CA but was born and raised in Florissant, in north St. Louis County. In my experience I've seen more spiders and yellow jackets here in this part of California. In Florissant I just remember a lot of house flies and a few water bugs and cockroaches. Eating outside with the flies was a nuisance but nothing more than that. And the fireflies/lightning bugs are completely nonexistent out here. I've never seen one in the 22 years I've lived here. They're fun to watch as it's getting dark outside!

Wildwood is an excellent suggestion for a place to live. I'd start by looking there and along the area west of I-270, with Manchester Road to the north and State Highway 30 to the south. Older communities are along Lindbergh Blvd such as Des Peres, Huntleigh and Kirkwood. I daresay you're going to be pleasantly surprised at the St. Louis metro area on the whole!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
One of our walls was made out of some kind of wood that wasn't real hard.

Anyway there was a yellowjacket nest outside and Dad sprayed them. They chewed through the walls. We had a couple dozen yellowjackets in our living room.

I thank God for that Raid stuff.

But that's only happened once, and I'm probably the only one on here it's happened to.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,185 times
Really enjoyed this bug thread -- you're all really making me interested in St. Louis!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
It's funny ... I never knew MO had more bugs than any place else...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
Maybe not more bugs than any place else, but more than anywhere I've lived! (I know, I'm a big wuss).
oh, puleeze, you big bunch of sissies! I am gonna pack my suitcase full of the bugs that tried to take the steak off the grill that I cooked tonight, and bring them home to STL this Thursday, then we'll talk about bugs! I never saw critters like there are here in Fl when I was growing up in Mo!
BTW, gimme that piece of gooey butter cake, Shadow, you dont need it!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 AM

81 posts, read 376,933 times
Move to St. Louis just for the food you can't get anywhere else! :-) My husband's boss was here for the National Arborists Conference last weekend and we picked him up one day and took him on the 'food tour'. We drove up the River Road for some buffalo (he'd never heard of it) and then back to Ted Drew's for custard. He got quite the kick out of the mobs of people getting their fix. He even took pics for his wife and kids to see! We were too full to actually eat anything else but drove around a bit showing him Forest Park, the Clydesdales (he couldn't believe how big the whole A-B complex is), White Castle, Imo's, the Stadium and I don't know what else. He was quite impressed and we're trying to talk him into bring the family back for a vacation one day.

-Rhonda
Olivette, MO

Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 AM

81 posts, read 376,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I am gonna pack my suitcase full of the bugs that tried to take the steak off the grill that I cooked tonight, and bring them home to STL this Thursday, then we'll talk about bugs! I never saw critters like there are here in Fl when I was growing up in Mo!
We really hated those nasty old 'love bugs' when we lived in Gainesville. What messes!

-Rhonda

Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,800,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Shadowcaver ~ thanks for your response. I really didn't ask the question w/ any stereotypical thoughts in mind. I'm sort of dense when it comes to that kind of thing, my husband will tell you. In other words, I had no idea that stereotypes with MO existed.

Ara ~ Thanks for your great post. The weather is always the one thing that gets me in any state. We're fairly spoiled in California that way and don't know it till we leave.

Sacramento can get over 100 degrees and I've acclimated, but as you point out, we don't have the humidity. That scares me and I've heard it can get super cold in the winter and I'm sure not used to that either.

But the pluses you mention are right up my alley: historical homes, vibrant neighborhoods etc. Sounds awesome!
St. Louis has four equal seasons. Seattle's weather will be much more in line with the Bay Area. 115 degrees in SoCal Valley in summer is easier to handle than 90 plus degrees plus lots of humidity. Have you been to Houston Texas? or other Southern places in the summer, or also the Southeast....hot, humid. St. Louis has some very good low humidty 70's and 80's months too. Each season lasts a few months and then you get the next one. Unlike the Upper Midwest, snow is not that plentiful in St. Louis. Afternoon thunderstorms in the Spring and summer do occur.

Unlike Sacramento there won't be 300 days of sunshine. St. Louis does get a lot more than Seattle though.

Parts of the Bay area are too cold for many....year round, so it'd be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis