Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times

Advertisements

We live 3 hours from downtown in the Western KY area and decided to take the in-laws to St Louis for a mini-vacation. I wanted to say thank you to everyone in your fine city. The people we came across were ALL friendly and eager to help us find where we wanted to go. I live in a town on 16,000 people and the people here are a--holes, but the people in St Louis made us feel welcome and I just wanted to say thanks. We look forward to coming back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Thanks for the compliments

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:52 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I'm glad you had fun!

What did you guys do (if you don't mind me asking)?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM

It was my 8th trip to St Louis, but the first for the in-laws. We went to the zoo and the Arch. We only had about two days. The zoo has to be one of the best in the nation. They had been to the Nashville Zoo and said it was crap compared to the St Louis version. I want to take them back to the Bud plant, Busch Stadium, the museums, Science Center, etc. Might spend a week and also go to Six Flags. There is just so much to see and do, unlike Nashville where they live.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:28 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,856 times
The St. Louis Zoo is the bomb, no doubt about that! It's right up there with the San Diego Zoo (which charges a pretty dear admission compared to the free-of-charge St. Louis Zoo) and the Bronx Zoo.

I'm so happy you had such a great time in St. Louis! These threads are chock full of poster recommendations on what to see in and around the area. If your in-laws are up to doing a little walking, I'd go over to Interstate 270 and Riverview Drive in far north St. Louis and walk on the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge, which is part of the old Route 66 that goes over the Mississippi River. On the other (north) side of 270 is a Missouri Visitor Center. You'll practically be needing a wheelbarrow to cart out all the booklets, pamphlets and maps of St. Louis and other Missouri attractions.

Be sure too to visit the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis (figure to spend the entire day there) and also the Shaw Nature Reserve off of Interstate 44 in Gray Summit, about 10 miles west of Six Flags. I grew up in the St. Louis area and my wife who is a native Californian just flipped the first time I took her to all these places. They're all lots of fun, and you're not going to feel like you've been ripped off at some tourist trap.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,856 times
And if you've come that far from Kentucky, why don't you try to spend another couple of days and get on Missouri State Highway 94 and make the 90-minute romp to Hermann? A finer German-American town is pretty tough to come by anywhere in the whole country. The countryside along Highway 94 is great; and unless you really don't like going to wineries or old-fashioned German festivals, I would take your in-laws out to Hermann for a good contrast between urban and rural.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 AM

215 posts, read 712,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
It was my 8th trip to St Louis, but the first for the in-laws. We went to the zoo and the Arch. We only had about two days. The zoo has to be one of the best in the nation. They had been to the Nashville Zoo and said it was crap compared to the St Louis version. I want to take them back to the Bud plant, Busch Stadium, the museums, Science Center, etc. Might spend a week and also go to Six Flags. There is just so much to see and do, unlike Nashville where they live.
I'm glad to hear you had a great time in St. Louis. It really is a great town!

You sound just like I do! I currently live in Nashville, and your right, the Nashville zoo is crap! I have been spoiled growing up south of St. Louis when I was a kid, going to the STL Zoo and Forest Park. Plus on top of that, the Nashville Zoo charges for admission. When I took my son there last year, he said,"Where are all the animals Daddy?" and I said,"I'm not sure buddy". He then said,"Can we go to St. Louis sometime soon?","I want to see all the animals again."

True story.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
^^Hilarious!

As a kid I never realized our zoo was so awesome. It took growing up and being disappointed a lot to realize how lucky we are to have it (and everything in Forest Park!)

Old 08-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Just don't eat at the Denny's on Hampton (I think it was Hampton) near Forest Park. I am still suprised we didn't get some sort of food poisoning.

Yeah, Nashville used to be a great place to go when they had Opryland. They saw fit to replace the theme park with a huge mall. There is nothing left to do in Nashville, imo. I have to ask, is the Six Flags St. Louis worth the price of admission? The one in Louisville is pretty good, but I hear the STL version is alot better.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 PM

215 posts, read 712,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Just don't eat at the Denny's on Hampton (I think it was Hampton) near Forest Park. I am still suprised we didn't get some sort of food poisoning.

Yeah, Nashville used to be a great place to go when they had Opryland. They saw fit to replace the theme park with a huge mall. There is nothing left to do in Nashville, imo. I have to ask, is the Six Flags St. Louis worth the price of admission? The one in Louisville is pretty good, but I hear the STL version is alot better.
Well I have been to the one in Louisville, Atlanta, and St. Louis and the St. Louis one in my opinion is the best one of those three. I think I may be biased though because I grew up going to that one, but my son also thought it is the best one too and he grew up in Nashville.

Nashville has lots of things to do, its just most of them are not as good as the St. Louis version. Plus they charge admission for most of them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis