Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
The areas of University City along the Metrolink line are also pretty safe, and caters a lot to the college students.
Since the OP is not familiar with St. Louis, I would make sure to indicate that you are speaking of the metro stops for University City along the Shrewsbury line, and not the Lambert line. I like all areas of U City myself (good & "bad"), but just saying. I know that Lambert doen't technically run through U City, but one stop is called the "Delmar Loop" - so it might confuse a new mover if told to find housing near the U city loop by a metro stop. I would suggest houisng by the Skinker and Big Bend stops, if you could afford it. Talk about an awesome residential area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 AM

71 posts, read 297,759 times
Haha..thanks! I think my days of running at 3am have long since passed

Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Thanks oscottscotto..as I am not really familiar with any areas other than downtown, could you tell me what some main streets are in those areas around Skinker and Big Bend stops?

My husband will be in grad school but we both have good, full-time jobs and are willing to spend a little extra,if needed, to get an updated home/apartment in a nice area. We had our hearts set on downtown but I have been reading some terrible reviews saying that all the lofts and condos are so noisy and the price for parking is outrageous etc. So, I think I need to widen my search. We just don't want to get into something where we have like a 30 minute commute.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Lofts in general are more noisy than apartments because they are so open, there's little to control the sound. Also there is rarely carpet - though in vintage apartments you'll almost always have hardwood as well.

Most people that love their lofts have learned to deal with that.

I think people who find parking prices "outrageous" are just not used to urban living. Prices I've seen range in the $40-75 a month range for garaged parking, and honestly, compared to other cities, that is just dirt cheap.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Oh yes. I think 40-75 is very reasonable..the prices I have been seeing is $100 - $200 which I think is a little excessive..but I expected some form of sticker shock as I know "urban" living is going to be more expensive. And, STL is just more expensive in general than where I live now. I guess I will get used to it after a while! Maybe I'll have to get one less beer when I go out to offset the parking cost

Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU_FAN View Post
Thanks oscottscotto..as I am not really familiar with any areas other than downtown, could you tell me what some main streets are in those areas around Skinker and Big Bend stops?
I don't know the area well enough to know the name of side streets (I live close by in CWE), but I can give you general vicinities that are really nice and within walking distance to the metro stops. The metro stops are at the intersections of Skinker/Forest Park Parkway and Big Bend/Forest Park Parkway.

Most of the residential area is houses (nice ones), but there are apartment/condo style buildings around too. There are some nice mid-rises on Skinker south of Forest Park Parkway that sit directly across from Forest Park. Any of the neighborhoods behind these that are south of Washington University would be great too (although I'm pretty sure that's considered Clayton and not U City). Any place on Big Bend north or south of Forest Park Parkway would be good too. There is also a neat complex on Skinker one block north of the Parkway (or one block north of the coffee shop). Really, anywhere south of Delmar in this vecinity will be okay and will have you near enough to a Metro stop to walk (or ride a bike) to it. I personally would chose a midrise off of Skinker across from Forest Park (if I had the money, which I don't ). I live in a crap-hole that happens to be located in another nice part of town. There are also cool places North of Delmar off Midland, but that wouldn't really have you near a metro stop. I would just get a map on Google and explore the areas I mentioned. I don't mean to steer away from the thought of Downtown though, as you can get some really nice places there too. But in my opinion (oustide of sports), there is a more to do in Midtown/CWE/University City than in Downtown ... but I'm sure some would disagree.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:57 PM

18 posts, read 49,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Clayton and University City along the Metrolink line are very, very safe. Clayton is one of the most expensive areas of the metro area, and it has a cute small downtown. You will definitely be safe walking there any time of day. The areas of University City along the Metrolink line are also pretty safe, and caters a lot to the college students. The Delmar Loop is nearby and is great area of shops, restaurants, and music venues. The Central West End is a little less safe, but it is a very exclusive neighborhood of mansions and historic and modern apartment buildings. The area around Euclid street has a lot of little shops and restaurants (most of them very expensive). Any of these neighborhoods are a 5-10 minute drive to SLU, and have great access to Forest Park.

Soulard is a great little historic neighborhood, but it does have a little more crime and it is the location of the Mardi Gras Celebration, which can get pretty rowdy. If you are used to a standard urban neighborhood, it should be fine. The architecture is pretty interesting and the neighborhood is going to be more laid-back then the other areas you are looking at. There is also the Soulard Farmer's Market and quite a bit more green space for your dog than downtown. I don't know that I would run around there at 3 in the morning, but the late evening should be fine.

There are so many good neighborhoods in St. Louis, I am sure that you will find one you like!
How far is Clayton and University City from Bridgeton? I"ll be taking a job in Bridgeton in January and would prefer a loft along the Metro link.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eglingirl View Post
How far is Clayton and University City from Bridgeton? I"ll be taking a job in Bridgeton in January and would prefer a loft along the Metro link.
It's not exactly close, but you could get there easily by 170N & 70W. I don't believe the Metro runs out there, unless you meant that you will be driving to work - but still just want to live by the metro. In that case, just live off of either Skinker or Big Bend near Forest Park Parkway. Or, if you have money, live in downtown Clayton near Forest Park Parkway. You can find nice lofts/condos in either area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis