U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 PM

22 posts, read 67,195 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I can't seem to find an answer to my question, so why not ask those that live in the city!?

I know that 15% of Missouri's total population is nonreligious (according to wiki...which IS reliable ), although that is probably from 2000.

Anyway, I'm basically asking if an Atheist were to live in St. Louis (and I know that there must be some there - hello!), would they be attacked/respected?

I hope this makes sense!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 PM

4,679 posts, read 11,208,631 times
Ummmmm,,, yea, I don't see why not?

Are you looking at moving/visiting to the area?

Seriously, if so, should be no problems - granted not standing at a corner next to a church w/ some 'offensive' sign or such...

By same token, what about there in NYC and/or Long Island - any issues there w/ an atheist living therein?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 PM

5,812 posts, read 17,350,751 times
I would think you'd be fine. As long as you're not rude to people. Like ShadowCaver said, I wouldn't stand outside a church holding protest signs or be rude to people of faith. But as long as you're a nice person and you don't stick your nose in other people's business you'll be fine.

St. Louis is a big city with a lot of different religious and non-religious people. I wouldn't think anybody would bother you, as long as you didn't bother them.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Oh, okay...thanks!

I was just wondering, and no...not moving anytime soon. Although, I do plan on moving somewhere after college. I'm just not sure where though. I still have some years left of college though! And no, I don't plan on standing next to any churches with signs, or being rude towards religious people. I'm tolerant of other religions. I just don't like it when I'm disrespected for being an Atheist when I'm respectful towards people w/religions.

Being an Atheist isn't difficult in NYC. Just a few minor incidents on LI though.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,056,607 times
Been an atheist for a long time and had no problems in St. Louis -- especially if you live int he city. Out in the far 'burbs people are typically more conservative.

One thing that actually works to an atheist's advantage in a place like St. Louis that has heavy Catholic roots, is that Catholics tend to be quieter and more private about religion than evangelical Christians. Catholics (and I used to be one!) tend to figure - eh, God will judge you, so I won't bother, whereas a big part of evangelical Christianity is getting out there are actively preaching and converting.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM

Ya, I used to be a Catholic too! There are a lot of people preaching here though, which some people tend to find surprising when they visit [mostly family of mine]. It's usually in the subway, and it's so annoying.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,262,633 times
I seriously doubt anyone would ever bother you or care. People in the city are fairly liberal, christian or not. But heck, I'm originally from the conservative "deep south" and I can assure you no one there would really care either. What you do is your business, outside of nut-cases.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,359,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndNYC View Post
Hey all!

I can't seem to find an answer to my question, so why not ask those that live in the city!?

I know that 15% of Missouri's total population is nonreligious (according to wiki...which IS reliable ), although that is probably from 2000.

Anyway, I'm basically asking if an Atheist were to live in St. Louis (and I know that there must be some there - hello!), would they be attacked/respected?

I hope this makes sense!
Only Buddhists are allowed in St. Louis. I hear the Greek Orthodox Church's get attacked for their salads on Fridays.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:50 PM

82 posts, read 229,143 times
Being an atheist is ok but don't tell people you used to be catholic and now you are atheist....there were several reports of people being sprayed with holy water and forced to have communion against their will and even one horrendous case in which there was a forced confession

i'm sorry i could not stop myself....i had to do it.....you will be fine...people in st.louis tend to keep religion as a private matter.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM

4,679 posts, read 11,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Only Buddhists are allowed in St. Louis. I hear the Greek Orthodox Church's get attacked for their salads on Fridays.
Now, is that all Buddhists, or just the Mahayana variety?

What of the Asatru 's? Weren't they allowed on the 2nd non-even numbered Thursdays of each month that had a 'e' in it's name?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis