Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 60,300 times

Advertisements

I am wondering where the bad areas would be? Is there an area in Saint Charles or Saint Peters that is bad (like along a certain road, in certain sections, etc)? Or elementary schools that are known to be in bad areas?

Also, any thoughts on Ballwin? Our realtor suggested some homes in that area as well. They were a bit pricier but I'm not sure where we would want to live. My husband is working in Bridgeton. I will be looking for a job and work in the corperate world so communiting to Clayton could be a possibility for me. My husband keeps looking at homes in O Fallon, MO and that worries me becuase of what my commute might be when I get a job. He says the traffic isn't that bad from the few times he has been out there but I keep reading differently on here. We like Saint Charles/O Fallon area but it seems so less 'great' from the places like Kirkwood and Clayon.

We have two children in elementary school. I want good schools but we also want a decent house between 195K-205K. We are moving from the South so the cost of living and homes are more expensive by far then we realized. I know places like Parkway have wonderful schools but we can't afford to live in anything decent there without me having a job.

But living in Saint Charles I worry about the commute for me. Also, I worry the schools aren't that great or even half compared to Parkway or the other schools I've heard great things about in St. Louis county. Any suggestions? We want to live near shops and Wal-Mart, Target, food places, etc and be close to the YMCA or Rec plexes since our kids are involved in all sports. I want areas with good sports programs, affordable housing and good schools. And easy for me to commute. Yes, I want it all! =) Any other towns I am missing to look at with decent housing and good schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
At your price point I definitely suggest St. Peters. I wouldn't probably go as far west as O'Fallon if you aren't sure where you'll be working, but even if you end up going downtown, St. Peters shouldn't give you any more than a 45 minute commute during rush hour.

The schools are very good; it's not really worth worrying about, but as a general rule Francis Howell schools are slightly better than Fort Zumwalt. I wouldn't be concerned with sending my children to either, they're both well above state averages.

Ballwin is a very nice area, but your budget, as you have probably seen, won't take you very far.

I think you could learn to really like the St. Peters area. Lots of families, all the big box shopping you could desire, easy access to all the major highways and lots of sports and recreational opportunities.

I know because I grew up there! If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM

You know, I think I lied. Looks like there is more in Ballwin in your price range than I would have originally expected. Like this place:
Single Family Home - 1130 Villaview Dr, Ballwin, MO, 63021 - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/realestate/ballwin-mo-63021-1101610335/ - broken link)

Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,224 times
Look in the Parkway South school district (generally the Parkway district area south of Manchester Road). It is usually substantially less expensive than Parkway West or Central.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 15,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk95 View Post
I am wondering where the bad areas would be? Is there an area in Saint Charles or Saint Peters that is bad (like along a certain road, in certain sections, etc)? Or elementary schools that are known to be in bad areas?

Also, any thoughts on Ballwin? Our realtor suggested some homes in that area as well. They were a bit pricier but I'm not sure where we would want to live. My husband is working in Bridgeton. I will be looking for a job and work in the corperate world so communiting to Clayton could be a possibility for me. My husband keeps looking at homes in O Fallon, MO and that worries me becuase of what my commute might be when I get a job. He says the traffic isn't that bad from the few times he has been out there but I keep reading differently on here. We like Saint Charles/O Fallon area but it seems so less 'great' from the places like Kirkwood and Clayon.

We have two children in elementary school. I want good schools but we also want a decent house between 195K-205K. We are moving from the South so the cost of living and homes are more expensive by far then we realized. I know places like Parkway have wonderful schools but we can't afford to live in anything decent there without me having a job.

But living in Saint Charles I worry about the commute for me. Also, I worry the schools aren't that great or even half compared to Parkway or the other schools I've heard great things about in St. Louis county. Any suggestions? We want to live near shops and Wal-Mart, Target, food places, etc and be close to the YMCA or Rec plexes since our kids are involved in all sports. I want areas with good sports programs, affordable housing and good schools. And easy for me to commute. Yes, I want it all! =) Any other towns I am missing to look at with decent housing and good schools?
I live in O'Fallon, Missouri, and commute to St. Charles every day.

If you leave O'Fallon prior to 7 am, you are ok. If you leave after that, you will do 25-40 mph all the way in. Not fun at all.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 AM

13 posts, read 60,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennnis View Post
I live in O'Fallon, Missouri, and commute to St. Charles every day.

If you leave O'Fallon prior to 7 am, you are ok. If you leave after that, you will do 25-40 mph all the way in. Not fun at all.

Does it really take that long just to get to St. Charles? I thought that whole area was kinda close together. So how long would rush hour from O'Fallon to Clayton be?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 AM

Traffic on 70 just west of St. Charles (near the Hwy 79 exit) is nasty every morning. O'Fallon to Clayton will be right at 45 minutes each morning.

edit: That assumes you are very near the highway in O'Fallon. If you live farther out you'll be adding time on obviously.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:56 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
I think you would like the area near Harris Elementary in St. Charles. Harris is an excellent school.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 AM

18 posts, read 36,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk95 View Post
Does it really take that long just to get to St. Charles? I thought that whole area was kinda close together. So how long would rush hour from O'Fallon to Clayton be?
i work in brentwwod, and it takes me 35 minutes to get to st peters in rush hour

Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I'd also be willing to check closer in. 200k should get you into most areas, just may not get you as much home for the money. As you stated, Kirkwood/Clayton are nice. You won't be getting into Clayton at 200k, but Kirkwood can be done. The big bet will be how big of a house you're wanting. Webster Groves is also a great option, and you can solidly get in there for 200k, and the schools are also great.

May want to poke your head around Des Peres, Rock Hill, Glendale, and Manchester. Creve Coeur (especially the unincorporated areas in 63146) is in Parkway schools. Moving East towards Olivette can get you into the Ladue School District which is great also, and the home prices are significantly lower than in Ladue Proper.

Part of 63146 will be in Pattonville School District, which isn't bad, but isn't regarded as highly as Parkway.

The southern parts of St. Louis County are also nice areas, and have great schools. I personally like the diversity that the other areas mentioned above offer over some of South County, but S. County is definitetly not a bad area.

Personally, if I were working in bridgeton, I would be hard pressed to move all the way out to O' Fallon, MO unless there was something specific I was looking for (land, particular school district, perfect house). The biggest thing that would be working against you is the commute, especially if you're working further into town than Bridgeton. Easily 45 minutes, and God forbid someone has an accident on the bridge, as it will essentially turn into a parking lot. Last winter there were several snow storms that shutdown I-70 just West of the Missouri River in St. Charles, which really turned traffic on it's head. Add to that the standard daily bottlenecks on your commute home in the Highway 79 area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis