U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 24,212 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking at a few apartments, one north of the park on the waterman 5600 block, as well as the "maryland house" condos in the CWE.

Any opinions one way or the other? I'm very concerned with safety. I like that the maryland house condos have a garage, but the waterman place does have gated parking...does that make a big difference vs. street parking?

Thanks. I look forward to relocating to st. louis and appreciate these forums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 PM

73 posts, read 250,243 times
CWE is pretty cool. Safety is not really an big issue in either one of these areas. but yah, I would go with CWE for sure.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:58 AM

634 posts, read 2,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Event.Listener View Post
Hi,

I'm looking at a few apartments, one north of the park on the waterman 5600 block, as well as the "maryland house" condos in the CWE.

Any opinions one way or the other? I'm very concerned with safety. I like that the maryland house condos have a garage, but the waterman place does have gated parking...does that make a big difference vs. street parking?

Thanks. I look forward to relocating to st. louis and appreciate these forums.
I don't know the Maryland House condos personally, but the gated parking for Waterman is a plus. Break-ins do happen (both on and off-street) - I won't call it often, but it does happen.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,262,633 times
It's not "unsafe" north of the park by any means, but if safty is a big concern, then stay West or East of the park.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
It's not "unsafe" north of the park by any means, but if safty is a big concern, then stay West or East of the park.
North of the park is a perfectly fine area, especially the further west that you go. Other than the aforementioned car break-ins (which happen in lots of places), we had no safety concerns.

We were just north of Skinker and Forest Park Pkwy. Our biggest complaint (if you can call it that) were the number of ambulance sirens we heard on a daily basis, so that's not much to worry about.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:22 PM

so waterman and debaliviere would be a safe location? I like it because waterman ends in a cul de sac where it meets debaliviere.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:18 PM

to be honest i am really torn because I prefer the apt in debaliviere but have received mixed reviews of the area, as shown by conflicting opinions above.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:51 PM

Realize that this area is really changing, so there are good blocks and so-so blocks right next to each other - it's certainly not an homogeneous area, so I can't tell you that one block is necessarily better than another. I only mentioned heading further west along the north side of the park b/c that's an area I felt I knew decently.

It has a very urban feel, so that may take some getting used to, if you've never lived in a city before. You will also be right down the street from a Metro stop, which is great for getting to & from downtown. Of course there will be pluses and minuses, but those vary from one person (and one area) to the next.

Do you currently live in the STL area? If so, go check out the area during the day and at night too, to get an idea of how things are in the neighborhood before you move there. You might also want to check previous posts about folks asking about housing near the Wash. U. area, which is right where you are looking.

Best of luck, feel free to DM me as well.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,689,560 times
I lived in this neigborhood just a few blocks away on Clara. My experience was a very positive one and really opened my eyes on what its like to live in the city. Its an incredible location with a ton to offer. Is there crime? Yes, but nothing unusual then any other neighborhood in any other big city in the U.S. Mainly car break ins and other petty crimes. The main thing I wish would happen is more retail in the storefronts on Pershing and Belt part. I can assure you that you will not be disapointed.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM

37 posts, read 95,983 times
If you're looking at Skinker near Waterman, I would say go with that location. Being so close to a prestigious University (Wash U), there tends to be more safety. It's also accessible to highways, and the metrolink. I'm assuming you have a car, so you may want to commute via metro and save on gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis