Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM

36 posts, read 100,070 times

Advertisements

So, im a 20 year old college Sophomore living in Dover, Delaware and am relocating to work at Monsanto in June. I will be out here for 6 months and am looking at taking class at SLU also. Public transit is very important because im not bringing my car. I'm looking for a studio, efficiency or one bedroom. Furnished would be a definite plus. Any help on where to live close to school or work would be great! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
I guess you mean you'll be working in Creve Coeur?

Just to warn you, some public transit is being cut since St. Louis County citizens voted town a half-cent sales tax last year. You will probably need a car. I'm not sure MetroLink even goes to Creve Coeur.

Anyway, according to Google Maps, Monsanto to SLU is about 11.5 miles. Would you prefer to live closer to work or to school?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM

321 posts, read 1,003,281 times
No, there is no Metrolink to Creve Coeur. If you take public transportation you will have to expect a 1-2 hour bus ride with transfers each way, especially now with the Metro reductions. Sorry, but that is just the truth of the matter with the St. Louis area public transportation right now, especially once you go too far into the county. You either will have to find someone to catch a ride, or you will need to buy or lease a car. Otherwise you may have to put the SLU class on hold until you can work out your transportation problems.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wustu87 View Post
No, there is no Metrolink to Creve Coeur. If you take public transportation you will have to expect a 1-2 hour bus ride with transfers each way, especially now with the Metro reductions. Sorry, but that is just the truth of the matter with the St. Louis area public transportation right now, especially once you go too far into the county. You either will have to find someone to catch a ride, or you will need to buy or lease a car. Otherwise you may have to put the SLU class on hold until you can work out your transportation problems.
+1...sadly. I'd re-think that car situation.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:17 PM

160 posts, read 517,847 times
Don't move to Creve Coeur if you want public transportation...the closest Metro station(with parking) to Monsanto would probably be North Hampton, and that is not all that close....The closest station is Lambert and there is no parking there....

Closest places to Monsanto would be Olivette, Maryland Heights, Overland, and Creve Coeur.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 PM

321 posts, read 1,003,281 times
Hey, jasonrDE, how much of a biker are you? If you don't mind biking you could rent in the U City area near 170/Delmar (where there are a lot of rental apartments) and bike via Old Bonhomme to Monsanto to work, and take the Delmar bus 97 all the way to SLU in ~45 minutes. It would be a pleasant 2 to 3 mile bike ride to work, and if you are lucky you may also find some other Monsanto employees driving west that way (from Clayton/U City) who would like to have a rider to help pay for gas. Note that if you are considering the Delmar bus, that west of Big Bend the neighborhoods along Delmar are pretty nice, but once you go through the Loop and east into the city, Delmar becomes a much more "urban" street.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 PM

36 posts, read 100,070 times
Living closer to work is the ultimate priority. I'm not really trying to bike every morning. Whats the best place to be looking for complexes or shared apartments? I've only been looking at craigslist

Old 03-31-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrDE View Post
Living closer to work is the ultimate priority. I'm not really trying to bike every morning. Whats the best place to be looking for complexes or shared apartments? I've only been looking at craigslist
I'd either take the U.City suggestion, or if you want to be a little closer to work, there are lots of apartment options within biking and walking distance to your work in Creve Coeur.

U.City will have a lot more students and people your age, while Creve Coeur is more of a family/suburbia area, with some young professionals. Both areas are fine and desirable, and will have all the amentities you will need.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrDE View Post
I re-read your post and missed the part about not wanting to bike every morning. Considering where you will be working, I'd look in Olivette, or Creve Coeur itself. There are apartment complexes just West of your work, several, within a mile or two off of Olive Blvd. And, also, try East, in Olivette. Other than that, you would have to bike every morning.

Talk to the people from your new work and get their opinions too.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Creve Couer is not going to be fun for a 20 year old, believe me.

My guess is that Monsanto sponsors some sort of car pool program -- talk to the folks in HR and see if they have a ride sharing program -- that would allow you to live a little closer in where the action is without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis