Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

I may be getting transferred to the Roxana area. Would it be better to live on the IL or MO side. I'm late 30s, single and travel a fair amount (30%), so safety of residence is a factor too. I dont need a big dwelling, ideally a place where I can walk to a few restaurants and pubs, and have less than a 30 minute commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:51 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
If you want to keep your commute short, you'll really need to stay on the IL side. There aren't going to be a lot of desirable north St. Louis County neighborhoods within that 30 minute limit.

I would try to get a place near downtown Edwardsville. It's a cute community and the university livens it up a bit more than it would otherwise be.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:53 PM

73 posts, read 274,124 times
Default agreed

I was going to say edwardsville too .. honestly can't think of more perfect place for ya! Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 PM

148 posts, read 403,855 times
I'd recommend checking out older areas around downtown Edwardsville as well. I have done work at the oil refineries commuting from South St. Louis City, and its not bad being a reverse commute, especially from Soulard (28 mins according to google), but I don't know if you can go wrong with Edwardsville. Theres basically no traffic on the Illinois side unless you are commuting to Missouri which you won't be. It all depends on what you prefer...a lively, healthy small city with proximity to a large metro, or an 1850s urban neighborhood just under 30 minutes away with a pub or two on every CORNER. Its also fairly safe, being that everyone lives on top of each other and sees everything. Where are you coming from?

Last edited by CoffeeAndBeer; 11-16-2008 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 09:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Is Edwardsville a small town where everyone knows your business? I've lived in Chicago and Houston and am more used to an bigger city. Any comments on the northern part of St Louis (Ferguson, Florisant, Belfontaine) How long would it take to get from near downtown to the refineries in Roxana in the am?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:13 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Is Edwardsville a small town where everyone knows your business? I've lived in Chicago and Houston and am more used to an bigger city. Any comments on the northern part of St Louis (Ferguson, Florisant, Belfontaine) How long would it take to get from near downtown to the refineries in Roxana in the am?
No, its a pretty decent size city with a Division 1 college.

As far as the drive from North County to Roxana, probably about 35 - 40 minutes. Traffic shouldnt be too bad with the reverse traffic.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
If you're going to stretch your commute in order to get more urban, I would look at some of the tough city neighborhoods with easy access to Interstate 55/70. Soulard is probably your best choice, and it's one of my favorite neighborhoods.

Soulard is lively and had plenty of bars, restaurants and the like and tons of old architecture. They have this fantastic farmer's market -- one of my favorite places in St. Louis.

Soulard is also home to the 2nd largest Mardi Gras celebration in the country. It's a very loud and crazy couple of days, which does bother some of the older residents of the neighborhood.

Your commute would be under 40 minutes even during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: