Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,783 times

Advertisements

After doing some research through the forum, being 28 and single, I believe I do want to live in the Washington Ave area of town. I'll be working in Roxana and am willing to trade the commute for a nightlife. Currently commuting 45 minutes from Arlington, VA to Alexandria, VA. My question is does it make much difference on where you live. I was looking at the GW Lofts, Tudor Building, Grace Apartments, Rudman on the Park, or Paul Brown Building. Does anyone have any experience with any of these places? With the eastern closure of 64, is it going to add that much to the communte - currently approx 30 minutes according to google? Am I missing anything...appreciate any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 AM

572 posts, read 1,991,744 times
I don't believe that your commute will be affected by the closing of 64-40.
The Paul Brown is in the central part of downtown. Not on Wash. Ave.
If you want to be near bars/restaurants/etc, do not get a loft farther west than 1600/1700 Washington Ave.

Welcome to Saint Louis.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:44 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,791,294 times
St. Louis city is small, and imo you can have any pick of where you want to live and it's "close" to everywhere.

You won't have a problem with your commute. You are making a good decision. The Eastern end I believe shuts down at Kingshighway which is a few miles West of where you will be downtown. And, remember, this project will be finished before the end of 2009, not as long as you might think.

Obviously you will be in for a different life than NOVA, slower pace, but less stres, less congestion, but much easier driving, not as good public transit like the Metro, but having a car is much easier. etc...

I spend a lot of time in D.C. just had lunch at Austin's in Old Town not too long ago.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,549,370 times
St. louie louis's suggestion on address is a good one.

Most of that area can be seen with google's street "street view" so you can see the area. you can also see what's nearby -- figure the more sushi joints the better LOL The area around Washington and Tucker is probably ideal.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,783 times
Thanks for the replies.

I've moved away from Paul Brown and now have been looking at the Ely Walker Lofts. I've been asking around to some friends of friends and it seems like everyone is mentioning something else. Someone mentioned Soulard and I checked into it and it seems the commute would be similar. Can anyone offer a comparison of the two areas?

Old 11-21-2008, 03:15 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,549,370 times
They're similar in vibe I feel. Soulard has more SFHs, which in Wash Ave. are nonexistent. I would say that 362 days out of the year Wash Ave. is more "hoppin'" than Soulard, but Soulard hosts the country's second largest mardi gras (after NOLA of course).

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,920,390 times
I live in the Ely and its a great place to live. Very close to nightlife and all other amenities. I also lived in Soulard and liked it as well. The main difference is that Downtown is much more dense than Soulard. Either one would be a great choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis