Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:43 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,929,476 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, below is a quote from the paper today in regards to STL being the Financial center of the midwest. Plus the list you posted isnt scientific. If thats how you want to be then LA didnt fair much better. I Win!!!

In addition, St. Louis benefits from young financial professionals who go to school here and remain here, said Kathy Day, assistant dean at SLU’s Cook School. For example, more than 75 percent of SLU’s M.B.A. graduates remain in St. Louis. “People are looking at cost of living,” she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB123 View Post
Only 18% of residents living in STL want to continue to live in STL.

That leaves 82% of residents wanting to move out of the city/county.

Reference: Pew Research (2009)

Looks like the numbers are on my side, I win!!

STL is not so great, and it's obvious to newcomers that too many people are not happy here.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Or let's try actually reading comprehension next time.

The study asks if your current location is the place you MOST want to live.

If I could choose anywhere in the world it probably wouldn't be St. Louis, it'd be Hawaii but that's before taking into account cost of living and family ties.

Quote:
Pew added that 80 percent of the respondents rate their current communities as excellent.
I'm not sure anyone moves to St. Louis thinking it's the garden of Eden, but they all do come here for a reason (You did too you know) and it includes grown up things, not just dreams of magical lands filled with unicorns.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
I'm also no statistician, but 2,260 adults in the entire country were surveyed. To me that suggests they called no more than what? 20 people in the entire metro area?

How is that a representative sample????

Also -- I have a suspicion that the current economy is making a LOT of people nation-wide more disgruntled in general. if you just got laid off are you going to be real happy with your current situation? I should think not.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,067,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

I'm not sure anyone moves to St. Louis thinking it's the garden of Eden, but they all do come here for a reason (You did too you know) and it includes grown up things, not just dreams of magical lands filled with unicorns.
Hey now,,, St Louis is a magical land [see, it even has a The Magic House, St. Louis Children's Museum ], and yea, there are unicorns there!

They have their own street even: Unicorn Dr, St Louis, Missouri - Google Maps

Now, with that off-the-wall jibberish said,,, At this time, this thread will remain open - after going through it, multiple times last night and this morning, there is some positive take-aways that EVERYONE can learn from. St Louis is not perfect, yet it is a good place to be, to live. There are other threads dancing in this forum that speak to the ills, what is wrong, and to the positives, the means to improve her. This thread, while degenerating from what the OP intended [my apologies for not reading this thread earlier; real life filled w/ work, hobbies, and other interests, minimize at times the amount of 'play' and moderating that one can do - you people type too much! ], has IMHO some things to help us all, be they natives, newcomers, defenders, otherwise... However, during these discussions and debates, personal attacks and belittling are NOT tolerated.

We all have our own opinions, our own perceptions, all due to our own agendas and history and desires. St Louis, like any other city/region, is unique, and will not appeal to everyone. Those that blindly defend her 'honor', and their own feelings, maybe should instead of getting all bristly, should maybe listen more, as there may be a grain of truth in what is being said,,, and then use that to make the city/region better. Sorry to those that have read this blathering from me before, but its I believe a better way to have these kinds of discussions, esp. over a i'net forum... so, challenge to ya all is thus: take a breath, back away from the monitor a bit, let what the other person is saying and/or trying to say waller around in your noggin a bit, see if possibly there could be some truth [no matter how painful that may be], and then instead of attacking the attacker of your favoured place, instead use understanding from their perspective, see what can be done to amicably improve the supposed situation that was offending the original poster... if not, then offer maybe different perspective/assistance. Lastly, to those that have desire to attack or such [intentionally or not] the city/region, challenge to yas is to do such in a manner that is likewise positive, offering means to improve what ya see amiss/different, but w/o peeving on it. Now, I've a hockey game to get too... have a good day.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-31-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-31-2009, 11:05 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,454,537 times
Over in the Springfield-Branson forums, there's an "Over the Fence Coffee Club" (OTFCC) thread for Californians and other newcomers to SW Missouri to get together and have fun. Maybe the OP can form a St. Louis Metro Area division of the OTFCC, perhaps! There's all kinds of fine stuff in the area, along with reasonably-priced good restaurants to give anyone all kinds of ideas to have a good time with folks new to St. Louis.

Up at I-270 and Riverview Drive, there's a Missouri Welcome Center chock full of more info than you can deal with on St. Louis and Missouri attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis