Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:12 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Best BBQ near St. Louis - drive west on I-70 to exit 11 (U.S. 40, Independence). Take the exit. Turn right and head north for about .30 miles. You will see a sign that says Gates Barbecue. It is a modest red building. You will not find any better BBQ within a 1,000 mile radius.
lol, you gotta be kidding... Done had Gates, multiple times, while good, didn't knock me away. I've had much better bbq in KC from other lesser known shacks - my favourite places are the local holes-in-the-walls.

anyhow, back onto bestest bbq in StL w/in the closer-than-1k-mile-journey, try the following, in no particular order:
Smoking Joe's
Pappy's Smokehouse = Pappy's Smokehouse | St. Louis BBQ | Memphis Style BBQ | Saint Louis Barbeque | Welcome To Pappy's Smokehouse
Super Smokers
Phil's BBQ
Fat Tony's
C & K Barbecue
Richard's Ribs

A listing is located here that captures most of 'em: St.Louis BBQ

For chain, Bandana's is good [at times/locations] too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:03 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Shadow, you must try Haydens, its a bootheel institution, been in the same place for over 50 years, my mama and her family would go eat BBQ there every Friday night.
I dream of their sandwiches, topped with coleslaw, washed down with a hand squeezed pink lemonade...... ah, the stuff of dreams!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 AM

71 posts, read 260,913 times
Try Miss Piggies, it is off Page, they are a hole in the wall place, only seating for like 8. They are a in a strip mall on the south side of Page, about half way between 270 and 170. I think their BBQ is amazing, just call ahead. I cannot believe someone recommended Bandana's, that place is horrid.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZetec View Post
I cannot believe someone recommended Bandana's, that place is horrid.
I agree.

There is a place in O'Fallon (M and i-70) that is pretty good. But BBQ just throws on the weight and raises cholesterol. its a rare treat to go out and mess up my metabolism

But saying " Bandanas" reminds me of those "Best of" polls that every newspaper in the country seems to run once a year. Very rarely is it really the best, its usually the most popular (meaning that it has identified the lowest common denominator) or the guys with the biggest a budget for a said paper.

We all know that Microsoft doesn't make the best software, that Budweiser isn't the best beer, that Starbucks isn't the best coffee, that McDonalds isn't the best burger and the best Irish pub isn't Houlahans.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Sounds like Marksman and his better half could really be in for a treat if and when they try some of these places. Thanks, ShadowCaver, as always!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
We all know that Microsoft doesn't make the best software, that Budweiser isn't the best beer, that Starbucks isn't the best coffee, that McDonalds isn't the best burger and the best Irish pub isn't Houlahans.
That is certainly true about Budweiser and McDonald's, the only two items here of which I have some familiarity (not a coffee drinker or barhopper). But I'm still trying to vanquish Old Man Credit Card Debt, so I need to settle for the culinary equivalent of a Ford or Honda instead of a Maybach or Rolls-Royce.

Some Schlafly beer would sure go nice with some of the BBQ y'all are describing! Yet another product we don't have in California.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Sounds like Marksman and his better half could really be in for a treat if and when they try some of these places. Thanks, ShadowCaver, as always!

Marksman and his better half have been to many of these BBQ establishments in greater St. Louis. Phil's in Affton is our personal favorite as as far as flavor goes, but again we get back to the problem of inconsiderate people chain smoking cigarettes and creating an undesirable odor to accompany our meal.

Last edited by Marksman84; 07-21-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

Marksman and his better half have been to many of these BBQ establishments in greater St. Louis. Phil's in Affton is our personal favorite as as far as flavor goes, but again we get back to the problem of inconsiderate people chain smoking cigarettes and creating an undesirable odor to accompany our meal.
Sorry about this; I shouldn't have assumed that you were unfamiliar with these other restaurants mentioned by the other posters here. I hear you loud and clear about the secondhand cigarette smoke, as a fellow non-smoker whose parents both smoked when they were alive.

There's been another discussion thread about this, I'd have to go back and find it, either in the STL or state of Missouri forums, where I made the argument that ideally, we shouldn't have the government step in and make all restaurants and bars entirely non-smoking, that this should be up to the restaurant and bar owners to make the decision. I don't want to stray off-topic here. What if you and your wife wrote either a customer comment form or other letter to the manager, hand-delivering it to him or her, stating that you would be much more enthusiastic about eating at the BBQ establishment on a regular basis if you didn't have to put up with the secondhand tobacco smoke so much, and that the separate sections aren't effective at keeping the smoke out of the non-smoking section? See if you can persuade the restaurant that it could be more profitable by going all non-smoking. Point out that most of the restaurant employees would be much happier, less allergy-prone, and healthier overall by not having to be subjected to cigarette smoke each evening.

I'd like to think that would have a real impact on the restaurant's smoking policy, and let the free market and not the state government come up with a solution or at least some fairly favorable compromise.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Has anyone tried Ethyls in O'Fallon. Not sure if it qualifies as a BBQ. They call it a Smokehouse. Delicious food, but you have to get past the chain-smokers at the bar.

I have to admit that BBQ is not something that I am real familiar with. I do know what tastes goo. And I know while throwing on the pounds.

And I don't want to hijack a thread, but many of the same arguments about losing business were made in NY and Ca when they adopted no smoking laws. And surprise, restaurant business increased.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Has anyone tried Ethyls in O'Fallon. Not sure if it qualifies as a BBQ. They call it a Smokehouse. Delicious food, but you have to get past the chain-smokers at the bar.

I have to admit that BBQ is not something that I am real familiar with. I do know what tastes goo. And I know while throwing on the pounds.

And I don't want to hijack a thread, but many of the same arguments about losing business were made in NY and Ca when they adopted no smoking laws. And surprise, restaurant business increased.
Ethyls - quite good... and they have bubble hockey too!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-30-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis