Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,546 times

Advertisements

Possibly relocating to STL area and need help on affordable areas within a reasonable commute of Town and Country area (less than an hour) on west side of St Louis.

I want to stay under 160k for 3 bedroom homes, and have been looking at O'Fallon, Eureka, Wildwood, even as far west as Washington.

Would Washington to T&C be more than an hour in traffic?

I'd like to stay within 30-45 minute commute, but would go to 1 hour if we can find a nice place to live a little further away.

I drive an hour each way for my current job, so I'm used to the long drive.

I've read through the posts on here about commute times, but since I will not need to go all the way into downtown, I'm not sure how traffic is from the 'burbs or the sticks into Town and Country area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,751 times
You don't want to live in Washington and commute to Town and Country.

In this market, you can find a fairly decent place in Ballwin or Manchester around 160K. Both would be great commutes to Town and Country (15 minutes at a max) and both are very nice areas.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM

248 posts, read 627,023 times
i live in fenton and commute to very near town and country daily and it is 20 mins -25 mins in morning traffic.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
We'd need to know more about what you want in a neighborhood, how important schools are, and if you prefer older or newer construction.

I assume you're looking for new construction if you've been looking so far out -- Ballwin and Manchester in your price range would be older ranches for the most part, but the commute would be much shorter of course.

Washington will be more than an hour -- 270 is St. Louis' busiest highway. Also, important to note that 70 out near St. Peters backs up pretty badly inbound in the morning, so if you're going to live out west try to be closer to 40 than 70.

If you answer some of those questions I mentioned, we can definitely offer you more help.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 6,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
We'd need to know more about what you want in a neighborhood, how important schools are, and if you prefer older or newer construction.

I assume you're looking for new construction if you've been looking so far out -- Ballwin and Manchester in your price range would be older ranches for the most part, but the commute would be much shorter of course.

Washington will be more than an hour -- 270 is St. Louis' busiest highway. Also, important to note that 70 out near St. Peters backs up pretty badly inbound in the morning, so if you're going to live out west try to be closer to 40 than 70.

If you answer some of those questions I mentioned, we can definitely offer you more help.
Thanks for the tips.

We'd like something close to stores (Walmart, Target etc.) and good schools are important, we have a 1 year old child. No preference over old or new construction. A well maintained older home would be as acceptable as a newer home. More square footage for the dollar is more impartant than age of home.

Thanks for the tips on sticking closer to 40 for commuting. We were looking on northwest side St Peters, O'Fallon etc.) but the areas around Eureka etc. off 50/44 also seemed nice.

We thought Ballwin would be too pircey, but in looking around there are some homes around this area which would meet our price range. The advantage of moving a little further away from the city would be more square foot per dollar, but disadvantage would be in commuting time. Is there any difference in property tax prices between somewhere like Balwin and somewhere further out like Eureka?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I am not sure about the property tax issue. I think my guess would be that anything in Ballwin or similar area is going to be more property tax, but it's also important to consider that as Eureka grows they will be faced with some budget dilemmas, so expecting your taxes to go up there (or in O'Fallon or westward) is a good bet.

If schools are of utmost importance to you, you should be fine in any of the places we've been talking about, though there may be some growing pains in upcoming years in Eureka if they continue to grow at the same pace.

You're right that you won't get as many square feet in Ballwin, partly too because homes just weren't as large when most of them were built, but the schools are wonderful, there is far more shopping readily available than in Eureka, and I think the area will hold it's property value better long term than the far-flung suburbs.

Others who suggested Fenton are also dead-on, just make sure it's the Rockwood SD part not the Fox part. Fox's schools are not up to par with the others you're looking at.

Also, make sure to check out St. Peters and St. Charles. As long as you don't go any farther west your commute should stay acceptable, and while the area is newer for the most part, it's also cheaper per square foot than west county, the schools are good and there is plenty of shopping.

Good luck! And be sure to ask us if you have more questions. I grew up in St. Peters and Rock Hill (closer in, with great schools, but smaller post-war homes in your price range) and have been, seen and experienced A LOT of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis